Joomla and vBulletin...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Joomla and vBulletin...

Hello. I own a Joomla site and have been using other forum programs and I really need to upgrade.

I am picking vBulletin because, in my opinion, it is the best and most easy to use forum/community program.

It would be extremely helpful if someone gave me a step-by-step process for getting vBulletin set up on Joomla from the very beginning.

I have not yet bought vBulletin, but plan to after I know exactly how to install and run it on Joomla.

Thank you--
    Bravo--

I don't think it would be wise to change vbulletin to suite joomla, but I think people have done it successfully the other way around...

Comment

Ok. If anyone has a successful solution to puting vB on Joomla, please post the process for doing so. I would really like to use Joomla, but also vB.

Thank you--
      Bravo--

Comment

This joomla site can do it http://www.rockettheme.com/option,com_smf/Itemid,190/

Comment

Originally posted by raiderlax View Post
          Huh? RocketThemes is running SMF. They are also working on bridging Joomla! and phpBB.

Comment

Ok, Where do I go once Im on that site? (lol)

But if it is a better idea, what CMS should I get which will work directly with vB?
            Im thinking about Mambo. Is this a good choice? If not, Make a suggestion.
            Last edited by Bravo123; Wed 29th Aug '07, 1:31pm.

Comment

Hi,
              Don't bother with Mambo, go for Joomla out of the two from that stable. Joomla will soon have a new forum system, the name is something like Thuunderbird but for now the usual choice is SMF which is not as well as supported or as functional as vBulletin. I faced this difficult choice also recently and decided to retain Mambo prior to upgrading to Joomla and after testing SMF I opted for vBulletin, in my view you can't do better than vBulletin for support and functions.

Why not use Joomla and then load vBulletin in a 'wrapper' page which comes as standard for Joomla?.

Rocket Theme used to run a SMF club but have stopped it now, you can still get some RT themes ported to SMF but for me it wasn't a better option than using vBulletin.

If vBulletin were to create a CMS then they would corner the market and could all retire to the Bahamas!.

Best Wishes,
              Mickey

Comment

There is a fork of drupal 5 which integrates with vbulletin forums and can be found here:

http://www.vbulletin.org/forum/showt...ghlight=drupal
                Plan, Do, Check, Act!

Comment

Originally posted by Michael Blake View Post
                  Hi,
                  Don't bother with Mambo, go for Joomla out of the two from that stable. Joomla will soon have a new forum system, the name is something like Thuunderbird but for now the usual choice is SMF which is not as well as supported or as functional as vBulletin. I faced this difficult choice also recently and decided to retain Mambo prior to upgrading to Joomla and after testing SMF I opted for vBulletin, in my view you can't do better than vBulletin for support and functions.

Why not use Joomla and then load vBulletin in a 'wrapper' page which comes as standard for Joomla?.

Rocket Theme used to run a SMF club but have stopped it now, you can still get some RT themes ported to SMF but for me it wasn't a better option than using vBulletin.

If vBulletin were to create a CMS then they would corner the market and could all retire to the Bahamas!.

Best Wishes,
                  Mickey
                  This infermation will help me a lot. Thanks.

It sounds like I will try the 'wrapper' thing.

But I am new and it would be helpful if you explained a 'wrapper'.
                  What to do, how to make it, and everything else.

Comment

I have integrated vBulletin into Joomla using commercial scripts. (BBpixel)

It now appears it was a mistake. If there were a GPL means of integrating the two it would be a different story, but I wasted a lot of time making them work together. I will lose support for the bridge eventually, and updates will stop. Joomla is basically forcing all it's developers to go to a GPL model for the forseeable future. Many of it's commercial developers are quite upset, to say the least.

BTW, vB hates the wrapper feature of Joomla, it doesn't work well at all.

I am working on rebuilding the site using vBDrupal, which integrates vB with the popular and powerful CMS, Drupal. I'd look into it before using either Joomla or mambo, if I were you.

Comment

The most promising I've seen is/was vJoomla, however the developer of the mod stopped development of it due to possible exploits and a couple other 'issues' I do believe. Perhaps a search might yield some results - maybe it's out there somewhere.

http://www.vbulletin.org/forum/showthread.php?t=145781

Comment

Originally posted by Bravo123 View Post
                        Hello. I own a Joomla site and have been using other forum programs and I really need to upgrade.

I am picking vBulletin because, in my opinion, it is the best and most easy to use forum/community program.

It would be extremely helpful if someone gave me a step-by-step process for getting vBulletin set up on Joomla from the very beginning.

I have not yet bought vBulletin, but plan to after I know exactly how to install and run it on Joomla.

Thank you--
                        Bravo--
                        If U need to share users and registration and anything you want with joomla and vBulletin, have to use a commercial plugin, for more info see on bbpixel site www.bbpixel.com. And enough about other CMS's or other boards like SMF or phpBB.

Comment

I'm guessing you didn't read what I just posted.

BBpixel has told me that they will cease support of Joomla if they force all their 3rd party developers to migrate to a GPL business model (which they are doing). Their comment in the jvb support section of thier website forums, if you care to take a look.

http://forum.bbpixel.com/index.php?showtopic=3901

It may be for registered members only..I'm not sure. But the fact remains that they will drop support in the near future.

I'm just happy I hadn't put my site into production yet....was soooo close.

Comment

I am using vbdrupal for cms features. i've used joomla in the past, along with a host of other cms and blogging tools; drupal has a learning curve (like joomla), but it's powerful and i like the development community a lot. vbdrupal will take some work configuring, no doubt, but you get some very nice integration features, including sharing sessions, pulling forum posts into the drupal side, pulling drupal content into the vb side, etc. i consider it a good investment of my time, though, because it's very flexible.

i personally find drupal to be faster than joomla and easier to use, and in general, it seems like the contributed modules are of a more consistent quality. so that's what i would personally suggest.

good luck!

Comment