Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

vBulletin vs. IPB

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Originally posted by ManagerJosh View Post
    It's not a challenge by the vB team. It's a challenge from me. I've been fiddling with CSS like crazy these last few months and I understand that IE6 does not play nice with a CSS layout.
    You know what I was referring too -- the Kier CSS challenge. The one that started out very simply, that got more convulted as the requirements got crazier and crazier (like getting NS4 to eat XHTML/CSS like fast food without burping). I won't accept the challenge, as the rules are too fluid, and insane.

    You do know you can use IE conditionals with IE 5 and IE 6? Or even better, just serve them their specific stylesheet. IIRC, vB did something similiar serving IE specific tags (heck, they already do it with hardcode now).
    "Anyone who conducts an argument by appealing to Authority
    is not using his intelligence, he is just using his memory."
    ~~~
    Leonardo da Vinci

    Comment


    • I've yet to be able to get any of my CSS work in recent months to play nice with IE6 and in some cases Safari. It's one reason why I cut off support for older browsers on my site and asked members to upgrade to FireFox or IE7.
      ManagerJosh, Owner of 4 XenForo Licenses, 1 vBulletin Legacy License, 1 Internet Brands Suite License
      Director, WorldSims.org | Gaming Hosting Administrator, SimGames.net, Urban Online Entertainment

      Comment


      • What didn't work? Floats?
        "Anyone who conducts an argument by appealing to Authority
        is not using his intelligence, he is just using his memory."
        ~~~
        Leonardo da Vinci

        Comment


        • Originally posted by ChrisLM2001 View Post
          What didn't work? Floats?

          IE6's CSS implementation is not the topic of this thread. Either open a new thread to discuss this or drop the subject.
          Translations provided by Google.

          Wayne Luke
          The Rabid Badger - a vBulletin Cloud demonstration site.
          vBulletin 5 API - Full / Mobile
          Vote for your favorite feature requests and the bugs you want to see fixed.

          Comment


          • Originally posted by ChrisLM2001 View Post
            The future is the designer will be the coder, and the coder will be the designer, because grandma will be doing both. The vB team of 10 to 20 years from now, won't be putting style as a consideration at the very end of the project, because style would be the heart of it (which the game industry is showing the programming world today).
            Very true!

            Comment


            • I'm coming back to vBulletin next tuesday or wednesday.

              If anyone really wants to know what I think about IPB when compared to vBulletin, I will tell you to read my previous posts and I stand by them. However, IPB is slower than vBulletin, it isn't as powerful as vBulletin and I believe that vBulletin will be bringing some new and exciting changes in the very near future.

              Also, I am giving away my IPB license over at TAZ. If anyone actually wants a IPB license, you can head over there and look in the default forum software category. You heard correctly, I am giving away my IPB license. It doesn't compete against vBulletin beyond a few graphical differences that I truly liked - but, beyond the few nice things about IPB...they really have nothing to offer when you compare feature to feature, ease of use to ease of use.

              Comment


              • Originally posted by Wayne Luke View Post
                IE6's CSS implementation is not the topic of this thread. Either open a new thread to discuss this or drop the subject.
                But the difference between vBulletin and IPS is.

                And one of them is IPS doesn't start "unofficial" CSS projects, that are offserver. That when you come back here after a little disagreement of direction of the project (like what the heck to do, when and what for as it was on open slate), get a ban message on vBulletin.com itself, with a self-serving unprofessional personal attacking PM as payback.

                Remember?

                Then folks wonder why CSS topics are "dropped"? Why folks won't help with CSS, or take that Kier Challenge? Not that it can't be done, but they don't want to do it because they don't pay to be abused.

                That's but one major flaw in vBulletin: and one that hurts hundreds, if not thousands of their clients. And no, don't demand clients to shutup because they dislike having to work their butts off for months for a new non-Orwellian style; or pay hundreds to others to do the job (if they can find a designer). $160 isn't much of a value after all that, it's a jail cell.
                "Anyone who conducts an argument by appealing to Authority
                is not using his intelligence, he is just using his memory."
                ~~~
                Leonardo da Vinci

                Comment


                • Originally posted by ChrisLM2001 View Post
                  But the difference between vBulletin and IPS is.

                  And one of them is IPS doesn't start "unofficial" CSS projects, that are offserver. That when you come back here after a little disagreement of direction of the project (like what the heck to do, when and what for as it was on open slate), get a ban message on vBulletin.com itself, with a self-serving unprofessional personal attacking PM as payback.

                  Remember?

                  Then folks wonder why CSS topics are "dropped"? Why folks won't help with CSS, or take that Kier Challenge? Not that it can't be done, but they don't want to do it because they don't pay to be abused.

                  That's but one major flaw in vBulletin: and one that hurts hundreds, if not thousands of their clients. And no, don't demand clients to shutup because they dislike having to work their butts off for months for a new non-Orwellian style; or pay hundreds to others to do the job (if they can find a designer). $160 isn't much of a value after all that, it's a jail cell.
                  You complain too much for no reason the templating system is the best I've worked with amongst various message board systems and the css is simple enough so you can change the whole look of the forum in an hour or so if you know what you are doing.

                  In contrast to Invision Power Boards CSS system I prefer vbulletins ease of use over IPB's over complication any day since it still allows for the flexibility that you would want as you can add your own CSS attributes and achieve any look you want.

                  You also seem to forget that a lot of people that have little or no experience with web design or coding use forums to set up their community fast and efficiently.
                  rugs|cheap rugs|modern rugs|shaggy rugs|traditional rugs

                  Comment


                  • Originally posted by msimplay View Post
                    You complain too much for no reason the templating system is the best I've worked with amongst various message board systems and the css is simple enough so you can change the whole look of the forum in an hour or so if you know what you are doing.
                    Prove it.

                    http://www.vbulletin.com/forum/showthread.php?t=146952

                    Clock's ticking.

                    Wonder if IPB has the same challenge going on? Wonder which forumware will achieve this "Holy Grail", first?
                    "Anyone who conducts an argument by appealing to Authority
                    is not using his intelligence, he is just using his memory."
                    ~~~
                    Leonardo da Vinci

                    Comment


                    • Originally posted by ChrisLM2001 View Post
                      Prove it.

                      http://www.vbulletin.com/forum/showthread.php?t=146952

                      Clock's ticking.

                      Wonder if IPB has the same challenge going on? Wonder which forumware will achieve this "Holy Grail", first?
                      lol am not going to prove it am too lazy to undertake such a challenge and I'm not too fussed either long as it displays correctly in the major web browsers.
                      It's just my opinion and I know you are having a rant as for same challenge they won't allow threads of this kind on their forums. The mods are quick to say there have been loads already covering the same subject
                      rugs|cheap rugs|modern rugs|shaggy rugs|traditional rugs

                      Comment


                      • Originally posted by Kitebu View Post
                        Holy Huge Post
                        Wow, I just want to say that on 1920x1200 resolution I still had to scroll down to get all of that lol.

                        That was a great post and does highlight a lot that vBulletin does better and some things it def. needs to improve on.

                        Comment


                        • From what I have read on the IPB Blog (nothing specific mind you, just bits and bats of information). I don't think IPB are interested in going WC3 Strict

                          Comment


                          • Hi,
                            Originally posted by c0bra View Post
                            I was suckered in by the promise of a unified login across multiple Invision Boards - something vBulletin has failed to deliver on in 3+ years.
                            I just can`t stop to mention that a more flexible login-system using an established system like ldap would also make it a lot easier to integrate a forum into an existing website or grow a website around a successful forum. So even if IP allows a single-sign on for mulitple boards but offers no improvements in the integration-direction I still would have a lot of work with removing the gaps between the CMS/shop/chat/whatever apps and the forum.

                            Sorry for quoting you to make my point ;-).

                            best,
                            Sacha
                            Thermomix, Rezepte und Küchenmaschinen

                            Comment


                            • I love these threads only because there's no competition when matching other boards against vBulletin
                              Arcade.gs Game Site!

                              Comment


                              • Originally posted by xjuliox View Post
                                I love these threads only because there's no competition when matching other boards against vBulletin
                                It all comes down to ' what do I want for my web site, which products can I use to achieve that, who is selling such a product, and which of the options appeals to me the most '. For some customers that is obviously vBulletin, for others it might be phpBB or IPB.

                                Comment

                                widgetinstance 262 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
                                Working...
                                X