X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• McMendo
    replied
    If third-party add-ons is one of vbulletin's strong sides, it is also its weakest side.

I've seen a few third-party sellers closing down in the last months, their products discontinued and support no longer available.

For me it was vblogetin first. Now vbfreelancers has closed down their forums and it is only the download or sales areas available. Though I'm not sure, I think that some other called vbgeeks have gone the same. Others?

The last in the series looks like it is going to be vbwiki (pro).

vblogetin was a nice blogs sub-system. The way it was being developed was more flexible for the end user than vbulletin's own blog.

I have 4 vbulletin owned lincenses. I am about to open a new forums board to go with some mediawiki installations. But this one is going to be with IP.Board. That way I'll be able to compare by myself, until my vb licences expire.

Third-party add-ons and plugins with vbulletin have become sore.

If they are free from vb.org, any problem you have vb.com will tell you we do not support modified boards. If they are paid modifications, you can be easily left out in the cold.

Worse, with every vbulletin's new version upgrade can be a nightmare if you have a number of modifications. And many can be incompatible in part or in whole.

Leave a comment:

• auonline
    replied
    There is always someone who will hate the script they are using.

Leave a comment:

• ManagerJosh
    replied
    Someone posted a testimony about IPB on these forums earlier this week.

IPB can kiss my *** for being overpriced, unreliable, and completely useless. (Sorry, but another group I associate with used IPB for awhile and a year later we still want to sue them for pain and suffering!)

Leave a comment:

• Chazel
    replied
    I love IPB's default theme.

Leave a comment:

• Zenith
    replied
    Hey, it might be wrong, i'm not certain, it's just what I think Zachery meant.

Leave a comment:

• l SKN l CHRIS
    replied
    Originally posted by Zenith View Post
    I think he means the vBulletin install script can create the database providing the MySQL user entered into config.php has create permissions, whereas IPB requires you create the database manually regardless.
    Never knew that, I've always created the database manually beforehand. Learn new things everyday eh?

Leave a comment:

• Steven Gatewood
    replied
    How did this go from vBulletin vs IPB to phpBB?

Leave a comment:

• Mark.B
    replied
    I've got to say, if IPB are still using that "grey" theme they've been using for a while, I don't like it. It lets the board down totally.

That aside, IPB is an extremely competent piece of software. There are pros and cons for both boards, but I can say with some certainty that no matter which you choose, you will not go far wrong with either.

It boils down to a McDonalds/Burger King thing....personal preference. Personally I prefer the way vB works from a front-end user perspective, but that's probably because I'm used to it.

Leave a comment:

• Zenith
    replied
    I think he means the vBulletin install script can create the database providing the MySQL user entered into config.php has create permissions, whereas IPB requires you create the database manually regardless.

Leave a comment:

• l SKN l CHRIS
    replied
    Originally posted by Zachery
    I would say ibp's installer is slightly more complicated, while we do require you to edit the config file, the ibp installer requires you to chmod folders and files before you can install, not to mention setup a database, even if the user has permission to create databases.
    I'm not quite sure I understand you here, both IP Board and vBulletin require you to create a database.

Leave a comment:

• Zachery
    replied
    vB as a core is good and powerful, but if you want a good looking spanking new forum, then you really need to dress it up with mods and themes. vB is for those who know what they are doing, know how to edit PHP files and is generally for larger communities.
    You only need to edit one file by default, and its the config file, otherwise most modifications are handled by plugins nowadays which require no knowlege of having to edit files.
    IPB looks great in its default theme and is easier for those who don't know what they are doing as it has (IMHO) a cleaner and fresher layout, it is also has a easier install script.
    I would say ibp's installer is slightly more complicated, while we do require you to edit the config file, the ibp installer requires you to chmod folders and files before you can install, not to mention setup a database, even if the user has permission to create databases.

Leave a comment:

• auonline
    replied
    vB as a core is good and powerful, but if you want a good looking spanking new forum, then you really need to dress it up with mods and themes. vB is for those who know what they are doing, know how to edit PHP files and is generally for larger communities.

IPB looks great in its default theme and is easier for those who don't know what they are doing as it has (IMHO) a cleaner and fresher layout, it is also has a easier install script.

vB costs more in the short term ($160) but is cheaper in the long term.
    IPB is cheaper in the short term ($149) but costs more in the long term.

It depends on what you are used to, and what you feel you can use. If you are on a tight budget, than a paid solution is not for you. If you are a big fancy business, then you would go for a paid software.

I liked phpBB3 for a while (in fact I loved it, thought it was the best thing since sliced bread) but then spambots kept getting in so I went to MyBB which I then thought was the best thing... now I know it isn't.
    SMF is plain tricky and bad from the word go. Badly organized, badly designed, bad for modding, bad for theming, bad bad bad! But of course, people who don't know much about forum scripts would not know that .

Personally, I am ATM plain clueless on what software I like best, each one has just 1 feature that annoys me (IPB being so expensive in the long run, phpBB3 being so buggy and being a pain in the neck for installing mods, vB for having an outdated look, SMF for being badly organized (SMF2.0 is even worse as its a really old bad ugly theme, that has been modernized by fancy dropdown menus in the admincp, which is now more horrible than ever), MyBB for having one set look that you can't change (no matter how hard you try to theme it, it will always have the mybb look) and I think that is pretty much it. People have different opinions about different softwares, and in the end of the day, its best to choose what you know you can use, and don't EVER forget about content, as it is what brings the members in, not what forum software you use.

Leave a comment:

• Cobra SA
    replied
    IPB doesn't really look better than vB, I think IPB is overall ugly
    however vB default smileys and icons are truly ugly

Leave a comment:

• l SKN l CHRIS
    replied
    Originally posted by Xtrato View Post
    well there is a lot of talk here and there, but like many have said..

vBulletin is Getting "OLD" Looking , for the sake of the script , ( which i think its awesome ) hire / code / create a better template.

When you look at IPB , you go like WOOH PRETTYYY......

now you come to vB and you think you are visiting a 1999 Website...

everything needs to look better ,Reply section , its ...... sad , i mean i dont like it,when you look at IPB , its effective , nice looking , attractive ..

vB and IPB might have Powerful Scripts , or even vB might have better script , but IPB is taking steps forward in not just scripts , but the look of a site... what good is a Ferrari without its body , to many not very attractive , maybe to racers , which they know whats up with the inside ,and know the power... but for my mom , or dad , its ugly ...they probably get a Toyota or something ...

IPB , i like it , effective , you can run a site looking "GOOD" for months , years without having to hire anyone....

vB ,its great, i design for it , but , you cant keep a site with just vB Skin , it will look horrible.

Thats primarily the Make up of the site , too much on the functionality... both are awesome scripts , my personal site will run IPB , my Designers Site will run vBulletin ( I need to show people vB can look good) ( oh..if they pay) .. anyway , thats my opinion.

Everyone has theirs , no script will win , only the opinions are ..

I like tacos you dont. ... so what .
    I agree 100%

Leave a comment:

• Jason2
    replied
    phpBB is great for starting out --- one thing is, you can't dispute the price

But, if you wish to further your site, then vB is a MUST!

It would be nice if vB implemented resize images in post by default, like IPB -- I currently use an hack -- but would feel more comfortable with it being default.

I don't believe in vB making a gallery, they are here to make forum software -- not a gallery. That's what you have PhotoPost for, and it's great

Regards Jason

Leave a comment:

widgetinstance 262 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
Working...
X