Security of info within VBulletin....

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Security of info within VBulletin....

Hi, im a first timer creating a forum and I have some security worries....

1. Is there a way I can test my forum once it is running to check that I havent left any backdoors open?

2. Is there any way posting members can be "grabbed" by visitors and identified/traced/spammed

3. Is there anyway somebody can hack the admin account?

Reason I ask is that my forum is a work based discussion site and people posting will want to remain anon so they can say what they feel without fear of backlash in the workplace.

Thanks for any advice.

Answer to all of them? Not really; but we do have an extensive thread on how to keep your forum secure which can be found here: http://www.vbulletin.com/forum/showthread.php?t=194701

Most of the time "hacked" admin account involves one of these things (or a bad combination of there of):
    1) Key logger installed on the admin's computer w/o his/her knowing
    2) Admin password was written on a yellow sticky (ok, colours can be arbitrary) and got seen
    3) Admin shares password with other poorly written application and was compromised there
    4) Server was compromised and malicious attacker directly interacts with the database

Generally speaking, if you follow through the instructions listed in the above link, you should be fine
    Best Regards,
    Andy Huang

Comment

widgetinstance 262 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
    Working...
    X