Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Question on how RSS and VB work

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Question on how RSS and VB work

    I have a very simple but effective site that displays RSS feeds for a particular subject. You can see it here: http://altenergytoday.com/

    I'm reading about VB and I see that it can take the feeds that I am display and post the items into new threads as the first post. I'm thinking about perhaps changing this to a VB forum that would do this and allow comment on the RSS articles by readers.

    My questions:

    1) When it creates a post in anew thread is it creating a new post for each "item" on the RSS feed, or does it plug in the entire feed. For example, if there are ten posts on a new feed, will it create ten new threads (which is what I want), or does it create one with all the ten items in it? If it is the ten threads for ten articles, what happens when the feed has a new article posted to it, so that the most recent one is added to the feed and the oldest one drops off? Does VB make one more thread for the new article, or does it do something else?

    2) VB is not as good as having Adsense ads placed on it as my current site. But can I use VBAdvanced or some other portal addon to make it look similar to what I have now?

    3) Any other simpler systems for trying to acomplish getting comments on my feeds? I've seen the reblogger type plugins or Wordpress and they are too complicated or problematic.

    Thank you.

  • #2
    1. It will create 10 new threads in your example. It doesn't delete threads that drop off the feed.

    2. I'm not sure what Adsense has to do with vBAdvanced, could you explain a bit more what you're trying to do please.
    Best Regards
    Colin Frei

    Please don't contact me per PM.

    Comment


    • #3
      Thanks for the reply.

      The adsense reference was simply that it is more difficult to find good placement for adsense as cleanly as you can do on a custom website. So, I was wondering how much VBadvanced could change the look to accommodate adsense in a better way than a simple forum structure does.

      Comment


      • #4
        vBAdvanced is supposed to work as a portal to complement, not replace, the forum.
        Best Regards
        Colin Frei

        Please don't contact me per PM.

        Comment


        • #5
          I understand that, just wondering what I can do with it to change the look of the forum, not replace the forum. For example, could I wrap the forum in a design that has a sidebar on it persistently?

          Comment


          • #6
            You could do that without vBadvanced actually. Have a look at www.vbulletin.org, there are modifications that do that.
            Best Regards
            Colin Frei

            Please don't contact me per PM.

            Comment


            • #7
              Originally posted by slobizman View Post
              For example, could I wrap the forum in a design that has a sidebar on it persistently?
              Absolutely.

              You can also modify it so that there is an Adsense leaderboard, as well.

              Be sure to check out vbulletin.org once you have a valid vb License. The free mods to do what you are asking are there.

              NOTE: The sidebar banner won't be RIGHT next to the text, but it will be close enough.

              The leaderboard can also be added to appear 'within' the thread (ie after the first and last posts in the thread.)

              Comment


              • #8
                One thing...if you want 'excerpts' of the article text displayed on your index page, however, you might still want to use vBa. But as has been posted, this has nothing to do with AdSense.

                Comment


                • #9
                  when you say mods, do you mean plugin modules or code hacks?

                  Originally posted by PcosKat View Post
                  Absolutely.

                  You can also modify it so that there is an Adsense leaderboard, as well.

                  Be sure to check out vbulletin.org once you have a valid vb License. The free mods to do what you are asking are there.

                  NOTE: The sidebar banner won't be RIGHT next to the text, but it will be close enough.

                  The leaderboard can also be added to appear 'within' the thread (ie after the first and last posts in the thread.)

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    Originally posted by slobizman View Post
                    when you say mods, do you mean plugin modules or code hacks?
                    Yes. There is a HUGE database of them at vbulletin.org. The one you need is a very popular one, so it won't be hard to find.

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      Thank you. But actually my question is still outstanding: "when you say mods, do you mean plugin modules or code hacks?"

                      Originally posted by PcosKat View Post
                      Yes. There is a HUGE database of them at vbulletin.org. The one you need is a very popular one, so it won't be hard to find.

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        Originally posted by slobizman View Post
                        Thank you. But actually my question is still outstanding: "when you say mods, do you mean plugin modules or code hacks?"
                        I mean both. You won't know what a particular mod (ie MODIFICATION) is until you look at it, and see how the author created it.

                        You'll have your answers if you register over at vBulletinl.org and see what's there.

                        Comment


                        • #13
                          Originally posted by PcosKat View Post
                          Yes. There is a HUGE database of them at vbulletin.org. The one you need is a very popular one, so it won't be hard to find.
                          Is it against vbulletin.com rules to post a link to a vbulletin.org mod?

                          Comment


                          • #14
                            I've seen a website (it was my clan's website) where the vBa modules were actually included alongside the forum index, as well as there being vBa's own Portal/homepage. I haven't a clue how to do it. As an anternative, there is a Quick Tip/Customisation to add a "Banner" to the left or right of the forum. I did this to complement my logo blended into the forum's style (It was in the background)
                            -- David.

                            If I spend much more time browsing these forums, I could be subjected to: 1. Burnt retinas, 2. Angry customers, 3. Lack of moderation, 4. Arguments.
                            This used to be a nice place; what the hell's gone wrong?

                            Comment


                            • #15
                              Originally posted by rnmcd View Post
                              Is it against vbulletin.com rules to post a link to a vbulletin.org mod?
                              Who posted a link to a mod?

                              Comment

                              widgetinstance 262 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
                              Working...
                              X