Dreamweaver?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Dreamweaver?

Is vbulletin editable in Dreamweaver? If so, what parts are editable?

Why would you need / want to edit vB in Dreamweaver? If you mean the files, then I presume so. I use Dreamweaver to set the variables in my config.php

Comment

I meant the look

Comment

Originally posted by ShadowStriker View Post
        I meant the look
        No it's not

Comment

Any PHP editor can/will work. It's not HTML though, so your typical previews and such that are built into Dreamweaver will not function.

Actually, I just use TextPad
          Call no man happy until he is dead - Voltaire

Comment

The responses in this thread are astounding.

#1 editing PHP files is not recommended and has nothing to do with changing the appearance of vBulletin.

#2 The appearance of vBulletin is determined by HTML templates (160 different snippets of HTML pieced together to make up each page) and the Style Sheet, both of which are managed through the vBulletin Admin Control Panel.

You can change the borders, spacing, and colors of vBulletin without any HTML knowledge. To rearrange items in vBulletin's layout, you will need a rudimentary knowledge of HTML.

You cannot edit this HTML in Dreamweaver because of interdependencies and PHP variables which will not evaluate properly.

Comment

Didn't i read about a (non official) vBulletin plugin for Dreamweaver a while back?

Comment

I'm not sure how it would benefit. All of the $variables would be missing.

Comment

Originally posted by feldon23 View Post
                  I'm not sure how it would benefit. All of the $variables would be missing.

Which again goes back to a suggestion I made a while back about implementing a WYSIWYG editor (dreamweaver type) inside the admincp, one that will properly set the variables and classes as needed.

This would make vBulletin the first to create such a system for creating skins inside the admin control panel.

Comment

I will just say there are many places where Jelsoft's efforts can be placed. Trying to make a WYSIWYG for templates is not a place I think their efforts should be applied to. Learning HTML is really not that hard, folks.

Comment

Originally posted by feldon23 View Post
                      The responses in this thread are astounding.
                      What's astounding? That some people don't use the canned version of things?

Sometimes you need to do some PHP edits if you're customizing it. These types of edits are fewer and farer between with the product hook system that was implemented a while back.

Granted, if it's only the appearance you want to tweak, that's what the built in style manager is for. vB has made some efforts to give people a hand in that area such as the template history system and compare.
                      Call no man happy until he is dead - Voltaire

Comment

widgetinstance 262 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
                      Working...
                      X