Using vBulletin on the company LAN

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Using vBulletin on the company LAN

I run a public vBulletin system (as a hobby) and a private phpBB system (for my employer). The phpBB system is accessible only on our company's LAN and is used only by the company staff. It is not accessible to the public on the Internet.

I would like to purchase vBulletin and switch the in-house forum system from phpBB to vBulletin, but I have two concerns:

1. The vBulletin terms give Jelsoft permission to access the forum system to verify proper use under the license, with only one installation permitted, plus a passworded "testvb" installation. In this case, however, the forum system would not be reachable by Jelsoft (or anyone else) at all. We would comply with the intent of the license (one production installation plus one test installation) but could not offer Jelsoft access to our LAN. Is this permissible or would this limitation prevent us from using vBulletin?

2. In the current phpBB system, we use the phpBB thread numbers (1 for thread 1, 2 for thread 2, 3 for thread 3, etc.) as keys to other company recordkeeping. They are essentially "case numbers". If I install a brand new vBulletin forum system and use ImpEx's phpBB-to-vBulletin module, will the phpBB thread numbers (which they call topic numbers) become the vBulletin thread numbers (1 to 1, 2 to 2, 3 to 3, etc.) or might the thread numbers end up in a different order, forcing us to rely on the less-convenient importids? I've done previous phpBB-to-vBulletin imports, but never into a new empty vBulletin system.

Thanks.

1. That's fine. You would just enter the forum URL as 'localhost'.

2. Unfortunately all the ids will change with the import - even into an essentially empty database.
    Steve Machol, former vBulletin Customer Support Manager (and NOT retired!)
    Change CKEditor Colors to Match Style (for 4.1.4 and above)

Steve Machol Photography

Mankind is the only creature smart enough to know its own history, and dumb enough to ignore it.

Comment

Working...
    X