UBB Classic to vBulletin Questions

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• UBB Classic to vBulletin Questions

I have a very large and active UBB.Classic ver 6.7.3 and have needed to switch to a database driven forum for about 3 years now. I haven't done it because I hate down time and know nothing about working with databases, php. etc.

Members = 14,000
    Topics = 150,000+ topics
    Post = 1,500,000+ posts
    Forums = 93
    www.ffcobra.com

Here are some questions:

1.) If I buy vBulletin is there someone I can pay to convert my forum to vBulletin? What's the charge? How quickly could someone do it?

2.) How long would it take?

3.) What will the vBulletin import tool not import from UBB? Avatars? Ban lists?

4.) Will my users love vBulletin as much as I think they will?

Thanks,

Bill

Hello,

Thank you for your interest in the vBulletin Forum Software and for contacting vBulletin Sales.

1. We do not currently offer an impex import service. Sorry. We do offer the impex script for free, and the manual for it for free, and it comes with free support to assist you. http://www.vbulletin.com/docs/html/impex has more information about impex.

2. 1.5 million posts might take quite a while. Depending on the possible errors you might run into I would take a day and my time to do the import.

3. I do not know exactly, I will ask one of our impex developers to answer that question for you. I believe it will import the users, usergroups, and their threads and posts.

4. Of course It's a great system that's optimized for small to very large web sites, and is known for it's priority in performance, security and flexibility. It offers a variety of features and a user friendly interface and comes with a flexible style and language system to customize it to your needs.

We're looking forward having you as our customer, and please let me know if you have any further questions.

All the best,

Comment

Thanks, I look forward to hearing back.

Bill

Comment

vBulletin was created as a high-performance alternative to UBB.

Comment

Does anyone know how long the conversion would take?

If anyone is interested in quoting a price for installing vb and doing the conversion, please contact me by PM.

Thanks,

Bill

Comment

I have not yet been able to get in contact with either of the two developers. Sorry for the delay. Is there anything specific you wish to get confirmed if it will be imported or not?

Comment

UBB Classic seems to import users, moderators, threads, buddy lists, PMs, ban lists, ignore lists, polls, forums and posts.

Comment

Originally posted by Floris View Post
                UBB Classic seems to import users, moderators, threads, buddy lists, PMs, ban lists, ignore lists, polls, forums and posts.
                That seems to cover just about all the main things. What about Styles?

Do you have any consultants who will do the conversion? If I don't want to install vb myself, should I pay vb to do the install and then pay someone to do the conversion?

Thanks,

Bill

Comment

No, styles won't be converted.

At this time we do not offer a service to convert your data over.

You can hire someone to install vBulletin. But this does not include importing the data from third party forums.

Comment

Originally posted by FFCobra.com View Post
                    1.) If I buy vBulletin is there someone I can pay to convert my forum to vBulletin? What's the charge? How quickly could someone do it?
                    That's a paid service and something you would have to deal with in private or on vbulletin.org.

2.) How long would it take?
                    On a decent server I would estimate 2-3 hours for the whole process. Though I need to add some of the caching to the ubb.classic module which will speed it up no end.

3.) What will the vBulletin import tool not import from UBB? Avatars? Ban lists?
                    Infopop UBB classic

* Import Users
                    * Import Ban List
                    * Import Forums
                    * Import Threads
                    * Import Posts
                    * Import Buddy List
                    * Import Ignore List
                    * Import Private Messages
                    * Import Poll
                    * Import Moderators

4.) Will my users love vBulletin as much as I think they will?

Thanks,

Bill
                    I hear good things from ubb.classic people after I've helped them with their imports
                    I wrote ImpEx.

Blog | Me

Comment

What does "add some cashing to the ubb.classic module" mean?

We are in the middle of importing the forum. Impex has been running since Monday at Midnight and we're still not done.

It imported the members and threads fine. The problem we are having is it hangs up on importing the posts. It ran great for 400,000 posts and then is times out.

Any ideas? We need quick help.

Thanks,

Bill

Originally posted by Jerry View Post
                      That's a paid service and something you would have to deal with in private or on vbulletin.org.

On a decent server I would estimate 2-3 hours for the whole process. Though I need to add some of the caching to the ubb.classic module which will speed it up no end.

Infopop UBB classic

* Import Users
                      * Import Ban List
                      * Import Forums
                      * Import Threads
                      * Import Posts
                      * Import Buddy List
                      * Import Ignore List
                      * Import Private Messages
                      * Import Poll
                      * Import Moderators

I hear good things from ubb.classic people after I've helped them with their imports

Comment

Caching is a method of storing data for reuse later. This means you don't have to continually retrieve the data.
                        Translations provided by Google.

Wayne Luke
                        The Rabid Badger - a vBulletin Cloud demonstration site.
                        vBulletin 5 API - Full / Mobile
                        Vote for your favorite feature requests and the bugs you want to see fixed.

Comment

Originally posted by Wayne Luke View Post
                          Caching is a method of storing data for reuse later. This means you don't have to continually retrieve the data.
                          So how does that apply to importing UBB?

Thanks,

Bill

Comment

widgetinstance 262 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
                          Working...
                          X