Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Replacing the Files...

Hello,

My board is about to expire on its lease license, and so I've been thinking of getting an owned license. However, here is my situation:

A ex-staff member purchased the lease license for my site (and only my site of course) to use. Now I would like to get an owned license since the lease is expiring (as I don't wish to keep renewing). However, I don't wish to upgrade the lease, but just buy a whole new license, so it would be in my full name, email, etc.

My question/issue is how will the license numbers I see coded/activated for my current forum goign to react? Do I need to reinstall or just replace the current files? I don't want to loose any product plugins or template modifications, as well as posts, etc.

What is the best way to go about this? Or does it matter if the files were registered with the old license (aka, I just enter my website's url for the owned license)?

Thank you. I plan to purchase the owned license this week.

You will only need to re-upload all files minus config.php and install.php. Your forum -- assuming no code chages were made -- will continue to operate the same, without having to reinstall plugins etc. Everything -- as long as you don't delete it -- will stay
    Best Regards,
    Andy Huang

Comment

Originally posted by Andy Huang View Post
      You will only need to re-upload all files minus config.php and install.php. Your forum -- assuming no code chages were made -- will continue to operate the same, without having to reinstall plugins etc. Everything -- as long as you don't delete it -- will stay
      Aren't passwords encoded with a salt set somewhere in the code, that is related to (or is?) the license code? Wouldn't this cause problems with users logging in?
      GoXplore! | The Big Design Company | Athena Protects

Comment

Originally posted by Pyrix View Post
        Aren't passwords encoded with a salt set somewhere in the code, that is related to (or is?) the license code? Wouldn't this cause problems with users logging in?
        Each user has their own salt and it is generated when they register.
        Translations provided by Google.

Wayne Luke
        The Rabid Badger - a vBulletin Cloud demonstration site.
        vBulletin 5 API

Comment

Originally posted by Pyrix View Post
          Youre probably thinking of the session cookies where the license number is used to salt the hashed password I think.

Not entirely sure though so dont take my word for that but someone else may know exactly how.
          http://data.collectiveirc.net/status/user/Jobe.png

Comment

All user details are in the database so if you dont touch that, you should be fine .

Comment

Thank you! That should be fine, as any modifications are just templates and some plugins, but not direct php file edits.

Which leads to one more concern, are templates stored as .php files or in the database? I ask, as if I re-upload everything, then I could lose template modifications I did.

Thank you.

Comment

Templates are stored in the database.
                Translations provided by Google.

Wayne Luke
                The Rabid Badger - a vBulletin Cloud demonstration site.
                vBulletin 5 API

Comment

Originally posted by Wayne Luke View Post
                  Templates are stored in the database.
                  Thank you

Comment

widgetinstance 262 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
                  Working...
                  X