Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Steve Machol
    replied
    Upgrading will always overwrite any hacks or changes you made to the vB files. However it will not change any plug-in or product add-ons, although you may have to ask the authors of these add-ons if they are compatible with the latest version of vB.

Also upgrading will not overwrite custom templates. Nonetheless you may have to revert your custom templates and redo your changes depending on the template and the version you are upgrading from.

Leave a comment:

• Carpe
    replied
    You have already sold me. I will be getting vB.

One of the things that bothered me about other boards was the process each time an upgrade was released. If you had mods installed it became a problem. How does vB handle the upgrading/updating process? Will my mods and theme get messed up each time a new release of vB comes out?

Leave a comment:

• peterska2
    replied
    Yes, this is perfectly doable. You may need to transfer your SMF databases into databases on the server that you will be running vBulletin on, depending entirely on the server setups of all the servers involved.

Our importer can match users based on email addresses and combine accounts if they have more than one. If you have two users with the same username and different email addresses then the first user will retain their username and the second one will have an imported_ prefix appended to it. Then, if they are the same person you can merge them, and if not, you can change the username of the second one.

There are a lot of sites that have had multiple imports performed on them. In fact one of my own sites has had at least 7 imports done on it over the years and another one has had at least 3 imports.

Leave a comment:

• Carpe
    replied
    Originally posted by Kerry-Anne View Post
    Yes, you can merge multiple forums into one vBulletin forum.
    I dont think im being clear, I understand that I can convert a forum on another domain. My second question I wasnt clear on.

I have domain 1 with an smf forum, domain 2 with another smf forum and domain 3 with an vB forum. Can vB convert both of the smf forums into one new site? I was surprised that the answer from Kerry was yes, this seems to be a tough job considering the two smf forums can have conflicting usernames, id's, etc.. I would be very impressed if vB could do that.

Leave a comment:

• Onimua
    replied
    No they do not have to be on the same server.

You point to the domain/server that the forum you're pulling data from is, and then you point to where vBulletin is installed.

Leave a comment:

• Carpe
    replied
    Do the new vB install and the forum being upgraded from need to be on the same domain?

Just to confirm, I can have two completely separate SMF forums on different domains and merge them into one vB forum?

Leave a comment:

• peterska2
    replied
    Yes, you can merge multiple forums into one vBulletin forum.

You can change the domain that vBulletin is being ran on as your forums location changes. You can only have one vBulletin installation per license, so if you decided that you wanted to run a seperate vBulletin forum for each game then this will require multiple licenses.

Leave a comment:

• Onimua
    replied
    You can use ImpEx to transfer over your database to vBulletin: http://www.vbulletin.com/docs/html/impex_smf

Yes, you can also use your vBulletin on one domain and then transfer it later. All you would have to do after the transfer is update your board URL in the customer area, and then delete all vBulletin files on the old domain.

Leave a comment:

• Carpe
    started a topic Convert Multiple Forums?

Convert Multiple Forums?

I have two gaming forums both using SMF. I would like to create one gaming site combining both the current forums. Is that possible?

Second question, if that isn't possible can you use vBulletin on a domain and then transfer it to another one? I am currently running a World of Warcraft clan site but I don't know how much longer I will be playing that game. Might want to make it into a Warhammer Online site at a different url.
widgetinstance 262 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
Working...
X