This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Renewal of vBulletin

My renewal is almost near, I have a few months to go until I have to renew.

However, looking at other boards out there, I kind of think vBulletin has an inflated price. This is especially the case if you don't have access to U.S. Dollars, Euros or Pounds, because we also have the cost involved with currency conversion.

The fact is that PayPal does allow Australian Dollars and that would make it much easier on Australian Customers like me.

Also, considering there are other equivalent options out there (InvisionBoard [IPB] being one) for a lower price ($149.99), it is hardly worth the justification. Non-Americans, Non-Eurozone and non-British people have the costs involved with currency conversion, and the different Price Point Partiarity.

I understand that vBulletin is a business, however I'm not a business and therefore I don't get a tax deduction for purchasing vBulletin, so I have to go with the Price / Quality equilibrium. One must realise that IPB is at the same quality level as vBulletin (you don't have to be a programmer to know that!).

Now, what I am left with is this. I could always go with buying yet another 1 year licence for $85, and then upgrading within 60 days for an extra $85 for a full licence, but then the full licence price is even more inflated going up to $170.

As a student, I cant deal with that pricing regime. Is there any real justification for increasing the price by $10 within 60 days of purchasing a leased licence, other than greed?

Two transactions cost us more money that one transaction. If you don;t want this, then you purchase the complete upgrade the first time. (Also please note that the 60 day upgrade offer is only available for new pruchases - not renewals.)

As for the 'greed' comment, our pricing is *exactly* the same as it was in 2000. Accounting for inflation, the cost of vB is actually lower now than it's ever been.

How many of our commericial competitors can say the same thing?
    Steve Machol, former vBulletin Customer Support Manager (and NOT retired!)
    Change CKEditor Colors to Match Style (for 4.1.4 and above)

Steve Machol Photography

Mankind is the only creature smart enough to know its own history, and dumb enough to ignore it.

Comment

Originally posted by Steve Machol View Post
      Two transactions cost us more money that one transaction.
      I know how much it costs to accept credit card payments. Around 2.32% (that does not equate to $10)

As for the 'greed' comment, our pricing is *exactly* the same as it was in 2000. Accounting for inflation, the cost of vB is actually lower now than it's ever been.

How many of our commericial competitors can say the same thing?
      The commercial competitors are still below $160.

I am simply putting my point of view.

I like vBulletin, but I am also an economics student, and that $10.01 USD (around $15.00 AUD) comes in handy when my account balance is at $1 for an entire week and I am living on oatmeal. That is the opportunity cost of buying vBulletin.

I would however consider purchasing a full licence if I could pay for it in two installments over 6 months, because the opportunity cost is just $2.50 AUD per month.

And having that convenience locks me in as a loyal customer who therefore will always purchase a $30 nominal fee per year. I wonder what Jelsoft's opportunity cost is?

Comment

No, IPS doesn't even have a leased license anymore, and there bottom line is $149.99.
        See:http://community.ipslink.com/board/purchase.html

Not to mention vB is better than IPB, trust me I use both, and have for a while now.

Just buy vB and stop complaining.

Originally posted by Mattrix18 View Post
        I know how much it costs to accept credit card payments. Around 2.32% (that does not equate to $10)

The commercial competitors are still below $160.

I am simply putting my point of view.

I like vBulletin, but I am also an economics student, and that $10.01 USD (around $15.00 AUD) comes in handy when my account balance is at $1 for an entire week and I am living on oatmeal. That is the opportunity cost of buying vBulletin.

I would however consider purchasing a full licence if I could pay for it in two installments over 6 months, because the opportunity cost is just $2.50 AUD per month.

And having that convenience locks me in as a loyal customer who therefore will always purchase a $30 nominal fee per year. I wonder what Jelsoft's opportunity cost is?

Comment

Originally posted by dg0896 View Post
          No, IPS doesn't even have a leased license anymore, and there bottom line is $149.99.
          See:http://community.ipslink.com/board/purchase.html

Just buy vB and stop complaining.
          I'm not complaining, I am simply writing out my justification as a form of product feedback, which companies use (most companies anyway).

I am currently totally revamping my website (http://www.newstalkback.com/) as you can see from the slight construction work going on. Over the next few weeks it will fully happen and I won't be running only a forum.

Now considering the new look, I am simply looking for a good deal.

Cheers.

Comment

I'd suggest you read the fine print on your cheaper offer suggestion then check with vBulletin's offering and see which is truly cheaper over time. As an economics student you should realize there is more to running a forum than the initial investment, especially when it comes with support and upgrade costs over the long term.
            Translations provided by Google.

Wayne Luke
            The Rabid Badger - a vBulletin Cloud demonstration site.
            vBulletin 5 API - Full / Mobile
            Vote for your favorite feature requests and the bugs you want to see fixed.

Comment

And we thank you for your feedback.

However as I pointed out we have never raised a single price and vB is cheaper now than it's ever been. There is not a single commercial competitor I'm aware of that can make that same claim.

Unfortunately I can't say that we are not going to lower our prices any time soon, nor can we provide a special deal for you that is not available to everyone else. Sorry.

Steve Machol Photography

Mankind is the only creature smart enough to know its own history, and dumb enough to ignore it.

Comment

• 6 months support/upgrades
                • 30 days phone support
                • 2 business day ticket response
                • 5 day major version upgrade turnaround
                • Minor version upgrade via easy upgrade pack
                • One active installation + one test installation
                • After 6 months: $25 renewal option to access upgrades and ticket support*
                Wow that sucks, $25 renewal every 6 months, and only 2 day responding ticket time. That is another reason why I prefer vB.

Comment

Inflation? Greed? Sorry, but the only response I can think of is blah blah blah.

People *****ing about the current price make me laugh. vBulletin can easily cost around $1000 USD IMO.

If you can't afford the measly current price, then go the free phpBB route. You are student, so why are you even complaining?? When I was in College, purchasing something like this was not on the plate.

Comment

Originally posted by Wayne Luke View Post
                    I'd suggest you read the fine print on your cheaper offer suggestion then check with vBulletin's offering and see which is truly cheaper over time. As an economics student you should realize there is more to running a forum than the initial investment, especially when it comes with support and upgrade costs over the long term.
                    I don't earn any money (well not much from Google) for my site.

I am willing to buy a full licence, but 60 days for an upgrade is a bit short. That is my criticism of it. If the period of time to upgrade was longer, the price would be competitive.

Comment

Then why don't you just buy an owned license off the top?

I don't earn any money (well not much from Google) for my site.

I am willing to buy a full licence, but 60 days for an upgrade is a bit short. That is my criticism of it. If the period of time to upgrade was longer, the price would be competitive.

Comment

Originally posted by cujo View Post
                        People *****ing about the current price make me laugh. vBulletin can easily cost around $1000 USD IMO.
                        Well no it isn't worth $1000, if it was priced at $1000 no one would buy it. The market doesn't price it at $1000.

If you can't afford the measly current price, then go the free phpBB route. You are student, so why are you even complaining?? When I was in College, purchasing something like this was not on the plate.
                        Theres no need for the abuse. I realise you probably wasted your money on alcohol, but I prefer to use my extra money for more important things such as influence (especially after the website upgrade).

Comment

As I said that offer is only available on new purchases, not renewals. So this is not affecting you anyway.

Also it used to be just 30 days but I made a convincing enough argument to get us to change it to 60 days to give people more time.

Steve Machol Photography

Comment

Originally posted by dg0896 View Post
                            Then why don't you just buy an owned license off the top?
                            Because some people don't have $160 right at the moment.

And I am unsure where you're from, but if you're from anywhere in the United States, Eurozone or UK, you don't have to pay the currency conversion costs. Although I wouldn't have to pay that if Jelsoft had a citibank account that I could do a direct deposit into from my own citibank account.

Comment

Originally posted by Steve Machol View Post
                              As I said that offer is only available on new purchases, not renewals. So this is not affecting you anyway.
                              That's ok, ill just cancel my account and open a new one with my new credit card (I have two other domain names).

But I do have to say that it is specifically a silly rule that its not allowed on renewals.

Comment

widgetinstance 262 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
                              Working...
                              X