Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• On the verge of getting vBulletin

Hi all,

I am on the verge of getting vBulletin I just have a few questions.When I do buy it and set up can I take my time and twig it as I like then import my database from InvisionFree 1.3,if I do this will I lose anything from my new vBulletin setup...?

Whats the major problem people have when importing from Invisionfree 1.3..?

When I buy my vBulletin license if I have a major computer crash and get a new computer I assume the license is with me and not on the computer...?

I have been treating to switch to vBulletin for a couple of years now I hope this goes well.Thanks for taken the time to read this.

Hello,

The recommended way is to import your data first then set it up as required. The import brings all your forums and other information to vBulletin so you do not need to set these up first. If you do set them up first then you will have duplicate forums.

You will need to obtain a copy of your database from invisionfree in order to import your existing data. The import process is straightforward once the invisionfree database has been restored onto your server.

vBulletin licenses are for the license holder and the website listed on the license. The files can be downloaded as required meaning that if you change your home computer for any reason then you can simply redownload the files if needed.
    Kerry-Anne :)

Twitter Blog

www.peterska2.com www.worldnewszone.com www.popularusenetgroups.com www.superclickers.co.uk www.forumsforchrist.com www.browsergameplanet.com

Comment

Thanks for the info.

One last thing how easy is it to customize vBulletin...?

Comment

vBulletin is very easy to customize through the style manager & templates system and the plugin system.

If you would like to try out the controls and see what you can do with vBulletin, you can set up a 24 hour administrators demo here

http://www.vbulletin.com/admindemo.php

Twitter Blog

www.peterska2.com www.worldnewszone.com www.popularusenetgroups.com www.superclickers.co.uk www.forumsforchrist.com www.browsergameplanet.com

Comment

Thanks I may do that,I just need to sort out cheap hosting and then I will purchase vBulletin.

Comment

Cheap hosting I would suggest HostGator.com, I have been with them for about 6 months now and they are great. I only pay $9.95 a month for alot of space and bandwidth. I definately suggest checking them out.

Comment

I second HostGator as well.
              The Relationship Forum
              The Relationship Forum is the best online forum for getting advice and help about romantic and non-romantic relationships, dating and marriage advice, and love.

Comment

Thanks I will check them out.

What kind of package would you recommend...?

Comment

I have bought vBulletin and configured the files etc,I am just waiting on my .com address to be transfered to my new host so I cant run the install script yet.Does anybody no how long this takes...?

Thanks for your help so far I am sure I will be back with more questions when I start to run the script and go live.

Comment

It really depends. It can take up to 2-4 days.

If you have an IP address you can still install vB.
                    Steve Machol, former vBulletin Customer Support Manager (and NOT retired!)
                    Change CKEditor Colors to Match Style (for 4.1.4 and above)

Steve Machol Photography

Mankind is the only creature smart enough to know its own history, and dumb enough to ignore it.

Comment

Domain updating usually takes between 1 and 7 days. You should have a temporary URL or IP for your ne whost which you cna use for the installation purposes and as a temporary URL while waiting for it to update.

Twitter Blog

Comment

I have an IP address,any info on how I can do this would be great.

Comment

Just follow the normal installation instructions using your IP instead of domain name. You can view the installation instructions in our online documentation here:

http://www.vbulletin.com/docs/html/install/

Steve Machol Photography

Mankind is the only creature smart enough to know its own history, and dumb enough to ignore it.

Comment

It does not seem to be working,this is what I am putting in...

http://84.51.233.73/forums/install/install.php

Comment

That means the files are not there or not readable.

Also your IP: http://84.51.233.73/

Redirects to this: http://www.hosting365.com/welcome.ph...r=irishkop.com

This may be because you have a shared IP instead of a dedicated one. Ask your host to move you to as dedicated IP and to make sure it works.

Steve Machol Photography

Comment

widgetinstance 262 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
                              Working...
                              X