Converting from IPB with two databases

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Converting from IPB with two databases

I'm currently running IPB 2.1.7 with about 60 000 posts, but I have another database with 280 000 posts from a prior version of IPB (2.1.X). These databases have some of the same users (but they might have a different password, member number and other info).

So ... with vB I would like to import my newest IPB database, but I would also like an archive of my old posts. I would mainly use this to fetch old and important topics form the old database to the new one, and the old one would only be used as a read only archive so that my members could request important threads or posts.

Is this possible, and if so, how is it done? I've read about the ImpEx tool, and it seems nice, but will it be hard to import two databases into one vB install, or is there another way to do it? Thanks in advance.

Yes, you can do this. Please view the multiple import instructions here:

http://www.vbulletin.com/docs/html/impex_multi_import
    Steve Machol, former vBulletin Customer Support Manager (and NOT retired!)
    Change CKEditor Colors to Match Style (for 4.1.4 and above)

Steve Machol Photography

Mankind is the only creature smart enough to know its own history, and dumb enough to ignore it.

Comment

Thanks! I only have one final question ... After first importing my main database, how can I assign the threads and posts from the other database? I don't want duplicate forums, so is there any way to just import them to an archive, or would I have to move the threads and delete the duplicate forums once both databases are imported?

By the way, that was an extremely quick response time!

Comment

I'm not sure what you mean by 'assign'. The imported threads will be added to imported forums. You can turn those forum off for new posts if you want them to be equivalent to an archive.

Steve Machol Photography

Mankind is the only creature smart enough to know its own history, and dumb enough to ignore it.

Comment

I'm sorry, I guess I wasn't too clear on that. What I meant was that after my first import of forums, users, threads and posts, I wanted to know if I had to import all the forums from the other database, as they might be different. I just wanted to know if there was a quick way of setting up an Archive forum after the first import, but before the second, and put all of the threads and posts from the second import into that Archive forum.

But it's not really important, I'll just move the threads, and delete the duplicate or unnecessary forums from the second import.

Thanks for all the help!

Comment

I'm really not sure I follow you because I thought my answer did address this.

Steve Machol Photography

Comment

Say I have 2 forums in my first database, called "Generel Chat" and "Music". In my second database I have "For Sale" and "Gaming.

Say I only want to have two forums + an archive of old posts and threads on my board. Is there a way to put all of the threads from the second database in an archive, and just disregard the forums?

Then it would look like this:
              General Chat (first database, imported first)
              Music (first database, imported first)
              Archive (a dump of everything from the second database, created after the first import?)

It might be that I'm the one not following you, and you already answered this, but it seemed to me like I had to keep the structure of all the forums from both imports. This would in turn make the whole board a bit messy as I have quite a few more than the forums I mentioned, and it would take some time to move all the posts from the second install, from their respective forums and into an archive forum.

Comment

There is no actual 'archive' in vB. Please explain what you mean by that term.

Steve Machol Photography

Comment

My idea of an 'archive' in this case would be an empty forum, created before the second import, that would contain all of the threads from that database. When the import is complete I would close the forum for new replies and new threads.

The benefit of this would be to disregard the original forum structure of my second database, as I only need it as an 'archive', without dividing the content into separate forums.

Comment

As I said the import script imports the forums, then the thread and posts for those forums. After that you can do anything you want with those imported forums, even merging them if that's what you want.

Steve Machol Photography

Comment

I understand. Thank you for your quick replies and I'm sorry I bothered you with that last part for so long.

Comment

widgetinstance 262 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
                      Working...
                      X