Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Upgrade old YaBB SE forum to vBulletin

Hello,

I'm using a YaBB SE forum version 1.5.4. After making some research on the internet, I'm thinking of purchasing the vBulletin forum to upgrade my old one.

A few questions:
    • Is there a way to upgrade the forum without losing the database ?
    • Is there hebrew language in vBulletin ?
    Thanks,

Sagy.

Hello,

Thank you for your interest in the vBulletin Forum Software and for contacting vBulletin Sales.

Yes, we have an impex system which is free for download for licensed customers, and allows you to import your data from yabb se 1.5.x
    Here's more information about our impex system : http://www.vbulletin.com/docs/html/impex

And at this time we only offer the English, Hungarian, Chinese, and German language pack, and provide support for it.
    If we have an unofficial one for Hebrew is unknown to me, if we have one, it's here : http://www.vbulletin.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=96 (and will be free for download, unsupported).

Comment

Floris, thanks for you quick reply!

Is there a way to download a trial version of the vBulletin software to check if it suits us and if the conversion from YaBB SE works fine, before purchasing it?

Comment

No sorry, due to the nature of visible source we're unable to provide a temporary demo. We have an online demo, with full admin access. It is free, and lasts 24 hours. http://www.vbulletin.com/admindemo.php you can request yours there. Because of importing and exporting data and working with database it is not possible to allow impex to be installed or running on top of it.

We've had nothing but successful imports with impex. And if it fails we can assist on making it work and help you complete the impex procedure.

Comment

Ok thank you very much for your help.
          Last edited by sagym; Thu 14 Jun '07, 1:56pm.

Comment

Some last stuff that would help us decide:

From the technical point of view, we would like to know whether you had any experience converting the yaBB SE to VB. If so, how's the quality? Was there any information loss?

Do you have any statistics regarding the necessary hardware to run a forum with 200 concurrent sessions?

Does the system supports caching of the output to minimize the load on the database?

And also about some features that we didn't see in the feature's list but exists in some other forums:
            1. Does the forum supports WAP/WML access?
            2. Is there any external integration of the forum software into existing website like recent topics or posts, recent post etc?
            3. Is there any mechanism for exporting data via XML/RSS?
            4. In the banning options: is there an option to include the banning reason? Can I choose between full ban, 'no post' ban etc?

And the last thing, how much time it takes from the moment that I'm paying the money till I get the software?

Thank you for your patience.

Comment

Anyone?

Comment

Originally posted by sagym View Post
                From the technical point of view, we would like to know whether you had any experience converting the yaBB SE to VB. If so, how's the quality? Was there any information loss?
                Jerry Hutchings could tell you what information will be imported, and what not. You may expect at least the user base with basic userinfo (username, email address, sometimes password), the forum structure (forums/subforums), and the threads and posts in that structure.
                some importers have more modules that can also import smilies, private messages, certain settings, etc. but I am not aware of the specifics of this importer.

Originally posted by sagym View Post
                Does the system supports caching of the output to minimize the load on the database?
                yes.

1. Does the forum supports WAP/WML access?
                don't know. afaik there is no .wap script. however, there is the archive which is very handy for use with MDA.

2. Is there any external integration of the forum software into existing website like recent topics or posts, recent post etc?
                RSS and RSS2. showing new threads on a webpage is easy.

3. Is there any mechanism for exporting data via XML/RSS?
                see 2.

4. In the banning options: is there an option to include the banning reason? Can I choose between full ban, 'no post' ban etc?
                yes. you can set temporary and permanent bans, specify a reason, etc.
                a temporary ban wil automatically 'un-ban' the user after a given stretch of time.

If you want you can set up different 'banned' usergroups with different read/post rights too.

And the last thing, how much time it takes from the moment that I'm paying the money till I get the software?
                when the payment is recieved you get instant access
                (using paypal its a matter of minutes)
                Last edited by antiekeradio; Fri 15 Jun '07, 4:16am.

Comment

In regards to WAP. No .. not really.
                  One could point their pda/wap device to the archive of a forum, and click on the PDA link .. this is the best way to browse a live forum. It won't have posting / replying capabilities.

http://www.vbulletin.com/forum/archive/index.php/?pda=1

Comment

widgetinstance 262 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
                  Working...
                  X