vBulletin for my Intranet?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• vBulletin for my Intranet?

Hello its been a while since I used VBulletin and have some pre sales questions to see if VBulletin will do what I need. I would be installing it on a Win2k server running IIS 6, PHP, and MySQL within my organization.

I need to have the ability for users to “subscribe to specific forums” not just threads in a forum. I see this is possible but noticed it only states “daily updates via email.” Is it possible to have an email sent for each new post and reply within this forum?

As an example: I have employees who just want to subscribe to the employee news forums. They want to get an email anytime a post has been added, updated, or replied within this forum.

Also I would use this in an “Intranet” not on the web, I was wondering if I could import a list of users (UserID – basic password from an MSSQL DB) to eliminate joining the community. Basically given them a default username (based on their NT ID), and they can go into the user CP and change there password and settings if they wish.

Lastly, I’m searching the forums now, but is any integration with LDAP / Win AD a possibility?

Thanks for any replies.

Originally posted by louisl_00 View Post
    I need to have the ability for users to “subscribe to specific forums” not just threads in a forum. I see this is possible but noticed it only states “daily updates via email.” Is it possible to have an email sent for each new post and reply within this forum?
    Yes, although it's not configurable by the end-user, an admin has to do it. There may be a mod over at vbulletin.org to change that behavior but I don't know.

Also I would use this in an “Intranet” not on the web, I was wondering if I could import a list of users (UserID – basic password from an MSSQL DB) to eliminate joining the community. Basically given them a default username (based on their NT ID), and they can go into the user CP and change there password and settings if they wish.
    This is possible, but it's not a built-in function. You'd have to export your NT User list, do some data manipulation to match the fields in the vBulletin user table, and then import using a program like phpMyAdmin or directly from a SQL console with a "LOAD DATA INFILE..."

Lastly, I’m searching the forums now, but is any integration with LDAP / Win AD a possibility?
    No.
    Jason Litka - Utter Ramblings

Comment

Originally posted by jason|xoxide View Post
      Yes, although it's not configurable by the end-user, an admin has to do it. There may be a mod over at vbulletin.org to change that behavior but I don't know.
      OK it sounds like it wouldnt be to difficult. I would prefer I make a "global" change, and not have the user do anything except select which forum they want to subscribe to. these are not tech-savvy folks so I will be doing it all.

Originally posted by jason|xoxide View Post
      This is possible, but it's not a built-in function. You'd have to export your NT User list, do some data manipulation to match the fields in the vBulletin user table, and then import using a program like phpMyAdmin or directly from a SQL console with a "LOAD DATA INFILE..."
      Nice this would make things so much easier. My CTO is concerned with users using "silly-names" he wants to know who posted it, and not have to worry about some employee within the firm trying to be funny.

Comment

You can import your user data consisting of username, email address and password (either plain text or MD5 encoded) from a text file via our ImpEx importer script. No database manipulation is required.
        Kerry-Anne :)

Twitter Blog

www.peterska2.com www.worldnewszone.com www.popularusenetgroups.com www.superclickers.co.uk www.forumsforchrist.com www.browsergameplanet.com

Comment

My CTO is concerned with users using "silly-names" he wants to know who posted it, and not have to worry about some employee within the firm trying to be funny.
          You can always either disable registrations or moderate all registration so even if someone signs up with some silly name he / she won't be able to use the username unless you have approved it and in addition to that you can see the IP from which the user has signed up ...
          I'm not under the alkafluence of inkahol like some thinkle peep I am!

Comment

Originally posted by Kerry-Anne View Post
            You can import your user data consisting of username, email address and password (either plain text or MD5 encoded) from a text file via our ImpEx importer script. No database manipulation is required.
            There you go, a better solution. I've only ever used ImpEx to merge two sites so I didn't even know that option was in there.
            Jason Litka - Utter Ramblings

Comment

Great info, I'm just trying to find the info on "subscribing to specific forums" with email notification, once a new thread, or when reply has been posted to any topic any topic now.

I'm searching VB.org but keep coming up empty. I'll keep searching to see what mod it is.

-Louis

Comment

widgetinstance 262 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
              Working...
              X