Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Seriously, how difficult is it to set up a vBulletin forum?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Mayers View Post
    Installing vBulletin is easy. Find a host with a minimum of PHP 4.3.3 and MySQL 4.0.16, buy vBulletin, upload the files and run the installer script. It take all of 5 mins if that.
    I think uploading takes the longest. Installing is easy. Setting up the forum after that will take some time . If you get used to it all you should be able to open the forum to the public within a day although you would need to make/buy a skin which takes quite a while .

Comment

Yeah I feel that if i can at least install the software myself, not only will i save money(from having someone else install it) but I can also learn more about it.

Comment

Originally posted by Loco.M View Post
        once you get a database and user made with the correct permissions, setting up vBulletin is pretty easy.
        Out of all the times that I've helped a friend out who was stuck upgrading or installing vb, 90% of the time it was a database issue.
        thats the issue im having now, got to step 2, and it cant connect to my database...its driving me crazy

Comment

Yes the install was never my issue it was dealing with the hundreds of different ways you could do permissions. We've been in and out of test and design mode for 3 months and are getting ready to launch July 1st. It's not bad once you just get your feet wet and are ready to do trial and error.

If all else fails uninstall and reinstall. I did that a few times in the beginning.

GOOD LUCK!

Comment

If i can get past step 2 i will be cool lol

now the error is
            The database has failed to connect because you do not have permission to connect to the server. Please confirm the values entered in the 'includes/config.php' file.

Comment

Originally posted by CJY3 View Post
              I have a guy who is GREAT at handling most web stuff. I, am terrible. But I have what I think is a GREAT forum to start, that I could see eventually being a "decent" money maker of a forum.

I just know that I can't handle it myself.
              So easy, a caveman can do it.
              Attached Files
              ...steven
              www.318ti.org (vB3.8) | www.nccbmwcca.org (vB4.2)
              bmwcca.org/forum | m135i.net
              "I tried to clean this up but this thread is beyond redemption." - Steve Machol

Comment

Originally posted by garcia vega View Post
                If i can get past step 2 i will be cool lol

now the error is
                The database has failed to connect because you do not have permission to connect to the server. Please confirm the values entered in the 'includes/config.php' file.
                To get vB support on these forums you first need to be a licensed customer and register for Priority Forum Support. To do this, please go here:

http://members.vbulletin.com/membersupport_priority.php

...and enter your email address in one of the boxes. You'll need to have your customer number and password to access the page.

Once you've done this, please post in the appropriate support forum for your version.
                Steve Machol, former vBulletin Customer Support Manager (and NOT retired!)
                Change CKEditor Colors to Match Style (for 4.1.4 and above)

Steve Machol Photography

Mankind is the only creature smart enough to know its own history, and dumb enough to ignore it.

Comment

thanks

Comment

once you get a database and user made with the correct permissions, setting up vBulletin is pretty easy.
                    Out of all the times that I've helped a friend out who was stuck upgrading or installing vb, 90% of the time it was a database issue.

Comment

widgetinstance 262 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
                    Working...
                    X