Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Seriously, how difficult is it to set up a vBulletin forum?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Speaking from someone who used phpBB extensively before moving to vBulletin: You'll spend a lot of time setting up your forum.

As many have said, installation is extremely easy once you figured out how to edit the config.php file right. For the setting part, it took me around 20 hours after I imported my phpBB db to vBulletin setting up my forum. It's not that difficult so don't be discourage. You'll just have to spend time reading all of the options so you'll have better ideas how you want your forum to look and perform. And because of the number of options vBulletin has, you'll find yourself getting lost a lot of time. As powerfull as vBulletin is, there's no other way around it. Even after a year and half using vBulletin, I still find myself tweaking and changing options here and there, and still get lost every once in a while.

But you'll also have lots of fun running vBulletin. Good luck

Comment

As said above, vBulletin is indeed a very powerful piece of software, and it will take some time to get used to. That said, once you do get the hang of it, you are presented with essentially an endless amount of features + options. I've been using vB for almost a year now, and I absolutely love it.

Chris

Comment

Originally posted by Mayers View Post
        Installing vBulletin is easy. Find a host with a minimum of PHP 4.3.3 and MySQL 4.0.16, buy vBulletin, upload the files and run the installer script. It take all of 5 mins if that.

is it really that easy? I have a guy who can install it for me, but hes quoting me 140.00 just to install. I was thinking I could possibly do it myself, but didnt want to mess anything up.

Comment

Even an installation done by us is cheaper.
          Want to take your board beyond the standard vBulletin features?
          Visit the official Member to Member support site for vBulletin Modifications: www.vbulletin.org

Comment

good point...

Comment

Originally posted by garcia vega View Post
              is it really that easy? I have a guy who can install it for me, but hes quoting me 140.00 just to install. I was thinking I could possibly do it myself, but didnt want to mess anything up.
              if the forum isn't active yet, you can't "mess it up" because, essentially, there is nothing to mess up. you can not get it the way you want initially and spend some time figuring it out. of course. at which point, you can still pay somebody to fix it for you the way you want.

if you're bothered by the stress of figuring it out, pay vb to do it. if you're comfortable installing web software applications in general, then open the manual and your ftp program and get started.

but how much sense does it make to pay your web guy, who obviuously cannot know the intracies of vb as well as the development team, MORE than you'd pay vb?

to be honest, i think you're making it harder than it is. if you go through the manual, which is pretty comprehensive, while you're doing it, it's a breif, relatively painless process.

good luck to you!

Comment

If you enter the required information correctly into the config.php file, and correctly set up the database and database user, you should be good to go. Just be sure to double-check the information that you entered into the file. A majority of the problems encountered during the installation process are caused by simple mistakes made by the user.

Then again, if you don't feel comfortable installing it, I'm sure the vB team would love to help you out (ie: do it for you).

Chris
                Last edited by cemartin; Fri 8th Jun '07, 12:13pm.

Comment

Setup is easy, I agree with some others, the most difficult part if you know nothing about software or databases, is the setting the initial database password and username etc, but thats really not that hard.

If your going to pay someone, try it first yourself and if that fails miserably, then just pay someone like vbulletin to install it for you.

You will spend alot of time configuring it for what you want and how you like it. Heck I've had mine running for over 1 year now and I'm still tweaking settings, but even out of the box it defaults are good enough for most boards.
                  Chicago Area Mustang Club
                  http://www.windycitystangs.com

Forums and information about the Next Generation of Muscle Cars
                  http://www.nextgenmusclecars.com

Comment

Originally posted by SonicGT View Post
                    Setup is easy, I agree with some others, the most difficult part if you know nothing about software or databases, is the setting the initial database password and username etc, but thats really not that hard.
                    Having just purchased and installed vB last night I can confirm that. If you are going to have a problem it's most likely to manifest itself when attempting to attach the software to a db. When you run the configuration file necessary to achieve this you'll find it'll fail quite early on (step two or three I believe) if this information is incorrect or there is no db to link to. In my case I only had to log into cPanel/MySQL and create a db to overcome this problem.

It took me around an hour to download/extract the zip, create the db file from MySQL, edit the config file correctly, upload to my web host, install, go live and ban my first forum troll I have virtually no experience in this area but I personally found it a reasonably painless experience.

I think it might take a good few hours to get the forum running exactly as I want it but the admin control panel is easy enough to understand, extremely flexible and I don't envisage having too many issues to deal with there. All in all a very positive experience so far and it's good to see the high level of help offered by vBulletin staff in these forums.

Comment

If you dont do it yourself you'll be forever asking someone else to help you!

You've got one of the best support teams here to answer your questions.

So buy a copy now and get started or you'll never get finished!

Comment

Originally posted by goddess_dix View Post
                        if the forum isn't active yet, you can't "mess it up" because, essentially, there is nothing to mess up. you can not get it the way you want initially and spend some time figuring it out. of course. at which point, you can still pay somebody to fix it for you the way you want.

if you're bothered by the stress of figuring it out, pay vb to do it. if you're comfortable installing web software applications in general, then open the manual and your ftp program and get started.
                        Exactly! I just kept telling myself that if I screw it up no one will even know! I had a couple of issues with the database and I think I called my host three times and they "fixed" my issue for me or explained it to me. I really suggest that if you don't know what you are doing (like me) you:

1. Get a good host/server that will help you if you get stuck. In other words, you need to make sure it's supported well.

2. Read the directions thoroughly and follow the directions step by step.

3. Take notes on what you did and all of your different passwords and user names.

4. If you have an issue or a question do a search here and you will likely find your answer right away.

I also spent a lot of time here before even buying the software just researching and reading up on settings and options that I knew I wanted to implement. That way once I had to software I already had some of my questions answered.

That being said....I'm still too freaked to do an upgrade!

Comment

I just installed my first vbulletin onto my server, and hey.

It was easy after you get through the config edits. You don't even need to edit that much, anyway.

Comment

It really is rather easy

I started setting up my forum tonight at 8pm. It's now 1:30am and I've pretty much got it all fleshed out. I have to change some colors around and get the look just right but for the most part, I think I'm done. I've never installed a message board before.

There are a couple things that I'd like to change but I can't find where I saw them last. I'm sure I'll come across them again in the next day or two as I continue tweaking everything.

So yeah, all in all, it was a very simple install.

Comment

Im going to purchase today and attempt the install this weekend. I figure like the poster above said, if you dont try to learn yourself, you will always be asking someone else to do it, and paying too.

Comment

That's great news, we're looking forward having you as a customer. Good luck with the purchase and setting up vbulletin.

Comment

widgetinstance 262 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
                                Working...
                                X