Multiple domains and the license agreement Question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Multiple domains and the license agreement Question

Your forum is accessable from multiple domains and your forums are configured to show/hide certain forums based on the domain. This is not OK and requires an active vBulletin license for each domain. In this situation the forums appear to have separate content thereby making them separate forums in the eyes of the license agreement. Your forum content needs to be the same for each domain in order to qualify as a single forum.
    What if you have seperate domains and the forums that are displayed to members is based on their Usergroup. During signup they would choose an option which would put them in a specific usergroup.

3 groups of forums:
    General Fourms
    Area 1 specific Forums
    Area 2 specific Forums

Guest would see all forums

Users in Usergroup 1 would see General Fourms and Area 1 Forums
    Users in Usergroup 2 would see General Fourms and Area 2 Fourms

Would this be ok?

That requires multiple licenses.
    Steve Machol, former vBulletin Customer Support Manager (and NOT retired!)
    Change CKEditor Colors to Match Style (for 4.1.4 and above)

Steve Machol Photography

Mankind is the only creature smart enough to know its own history, and dumb enough to ignore it.

Comment

why? as far as I can deduct from the question, the whole thing is to be a single domain board.

if any board that displays or hides forums on usergroup basis should be having multiple licences, a lot of people would be in violation!!!

Comment

Separate domains pointing to different content, that's why.

Steve Machol Photography

Mankind is the only creature smart enough to know its own history, and dumb enough to ignore it.

Comment

So if I'm hosting websites for 3 different gaming guilds all playing the same game, could I host their forums on the same install? It's all the same content and discussion topics; just separate groups of people flocking to specific forums. Judging from Jake's sticked post I could do that, but it sounds like your interpretation is different. Which is the case?

In my situation, I'm wanting to setup a single install that three guilds will share. They will each have their own guild-only forum where the topics relate to their specific guild, but if the rest of the forum is open to everyone does that match your caveats for hosting multiple domains on the same install?

Comment

Where is the discrepancy exactly? If the intent is to show different content based on domain, then this requires separate license. That is the official answer.

Steve Machol Photography

Comment

Ok, let's take a look at Jake's sticky thread up top. Three domains pointing to the same forum installation. Should anyone really be expected to believe that there are no forums for guild officers in his Warcraft category? No admin forum for the site admins?

Comment

Three domains are the SAME site; that's the important part. They are not three domains sharing one forum, they are the same site. The ONE site, have ONE admin team (supposively speaking), and does not hide anything based on entry url.

It is a very simple policy. If you have one site with multiple domains, you only need one license. If you have more than one domain pointing to one installation, and it is intended to be more than one site, IE: above mentioned example by thread OP, each site requires its own license.

If you are unsure of a certain setup, list how you have yours set up, or how you want to do it, and we can tell you whether you need just one license, or multiple licenses.
                Best Regards,
                Andy Huang

Comment

Jake's post already makes this clear. I'm not sure how anyone could be confused:

Your forum is accessable from multiple domains but the content is the same for each link. This is OK and does not require multiple licenses. My site is an example of a multi-domain setup that is allowed:

http://www.mscclan.com/forum/
                  http://www.macsubculture.com/forum/
                  http://www.mac-gamer.com/forum/

Notice how each domain points to exactly the same content.
                  Your forum is accessable from multiple domains and your forums are configured to show/hide certain forums based on the domain. This is not OK and requires an active vBulletin license for each domain. In this situation the forums appear to have separate content thereby making them separate forums in the eyes of the license agreement. Your forum content needs to be the same for each domain in order to qualify as a single forum.

Steve Machol Photography

Comment

My setup would look like this:

http://guild1-domain.com/forum
                    http://guild2-domain.com/forum
                    http://guild3-domain.com/forum

They are guilds playing the same game on the same server. The content is entirely the same for each link. I'm interpreting that as the same situation as Jake's above.

My question arises when I want to create a forum filtered by usergroups or access masks for the officers of these guilds so they can have private discussions, as well as a private forum for myself and my co-admin. It sounds like you're then telling me this would require multiple licenses.

/confused

Comment

As I've said several times and is confirmed in Jake's post, if you use different domains to show different content, then that requires separate license. I'm not sure how we can make this any clearer.

The private forum thing has absolutely nothing to do with that scenario.

Steve Machol Photography

Comment

Originally posted by Silens View Post
                        My setup would look like this:

http://guild1-domain.com/forum
                        http://guild2-domain.com/forum
                        http://guild3-domain.com/forum

They are guilds playing the same game on the same server. The content is entirely the same for each link. I'm interpreting that as the same situation as Jake's above.

My question arises when I want to create a forum filtered by usergroups or access masks for the officers of these guilds so they can have private discussions, as well as a private forum for myself and my co-admin. It sounds like you're then telling me this would require multiple licenses.

/confused
                        Originally posted by Steve Machol View Post
                        As I've said several times and is confirmed in Jake's post, if you use different domains to show different content, then that requires separate license. I'm not sure how we can make this any clearer.

The private forum thing has absolutely nothing to do with that scenario.

Well I understand that Jake need to buy more licenses, since it's true they pretend to be different forums, but my doubt is about subdomains as Silens point it out...

www.subdomain1.website.com/forum
                        www.subdomain2.website.com/forum
                        www.subdomain3.website.com/forum

There's not a problem in the number of subdomains that you can use with your host, and others programs bearing in mind that you're providing more services than just forums; but which one is the official response in this case from vBulletin...

Best Regards

P.S. I was aiming for board in medical issues, so divisions are a must, one server, one brand, one install... your input will be much appreciated.
                        Last edited by iogames.com; Sat 2 Jun '07, 7:50am.

Comment

hello, I have another question about license agreement

If I have 2 domains that are pointing to one installation, but each domain pointing directly to a sub-forum, BUT the rest of the forum is accessible

do I need different licenses ??

Comment

Originally posted by Tanveer
                            Hi, This post is very informative, however I would like some specific information. If someone can help me then please send me a private message. Best Regards,
                            If you require further information, please send your enquiry via the available sales form.

Comment

If the header and footer and the navigation bar and breadcrumbs are the same, and they are one instance, for one main domain. And there are a few alias domains pointing to a category .. that is totally fine on one license.

Because when you go to an alias, you end up on the main domain, you can easily see it goes back to the forumhome and switch to any other category. The url in the browser changes from alias to the real domain.

This is one license.

If you go to domain1.com and it loads a category, different header/footer and the navbar is adjusted so you can't go back to the forumhome again, and it's goal is to show as a separate web site .. you require an additional license.

For example:

vbulletin-fans.com == main site.
                              shows same global forum & chit chat forum for each domain.
                              But if you go to vbulletin-chat.com you get a different content forum, and you can't really switch back to the forumhome. It's separate header, different navbar, and different content to show as a separate site. It requires an additional license (which it has). 5 sites, one network. 5 licenses.

Comment

widgetinstance 262 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
                              Working...
                              X