vBulletin and spam issues

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• vBulletin and spam issues

I am considering using Vbulletin for an official website that I run for an actress. I'm currently using phpbb, but I've been having a lot of problems with spammers and I'm tired of dealing with that issue. I've had to practically close down the board because of it. I've had more spam posts than meaningful posts and that's sad. So, I'm hoping that VBulletin won't have the spam problems that phpbb does.

Can anyone tell me if VBulletin is better than phpbb when dealing with spam issues?

If the server you have can support True Type Fonts, then you can take advantage of vBulletin's spam-counter measures and virtually eliminate all spam. You'll still get the occasional one or two pieces of spam, but nothing like the flood of spam with phpBB.
    ManagerJosh, Owner of 4 XenForo Licenses, 1 vBulletin Legacy License, 1 Internet Brands Suite License
    Director, WorldSims.org | Gaming Hosting Administrator, SimGames.net, Urban Online Entertainment

Comment

Vbulletin is very very good at stopping automated spammers. There is nothing u can do vs human spammers.

Comment

Also, vB had many 3rd party addons that help decrease spammers and ways to prevent most spammers.

Comment

Originally posted by ManagerJosh View Post
          If the server you have can support True Type Fonts, then you can take advantage of vBulletin's spam-counter measures and virtually eliminate all spam. You'll still get the occasional one or two pieces of spam, but nothing like the flood of spam with phpBB.
          How can I tell if my server supports True Type Fonts?

Comment

Look at your phpinfo().

If you don't have a file already, create a new file called info.php with the following contents:
            PHP Code:
            <?php
            phpinfo
            ();
            ?>
            Upload it to your server and load it in your browser.
            Translations provided by Google.

Wayne Luke
            The Rabid Badger - a vBulletin Cloud demonstration site.
            vBulletin 5 API

Comment

Originally posted by SSSlippy View Post
              Vbulletin is very very good at stopping automated spammers. There is nothing u can do vs human spammers.
              Yeah exactly.

Comment

I was using phpBB Latest, and imported over to VBulletin only 3 days ago. On phpBB daily spammer registrations were out of control, eventhough I had it set to Admin approve and the image verification, it did nothing I was getting 50+ of them daily.

I have not had a single ONE since changing over 3 days ago. I have nothing to do in the mornings now, spending ages removing them and trying to work out who might be a "real user"

I had been with phpBB for 3 years, moving to VBulletin was the best thing I ever did, I should have moved years ago..

Everything is top notch, the software and support is brilliant.

Comment

If your server has GD/GD2 (don't know what it's called exactly, on Debian it's php5 or php4-gd) and you install the NoSpam! add-on over at vBulletin.org, you will have only human registration spammers, but I'd suggest email/member verification for that,

Comment

I'm currently running vBulletin on the forum for my IRC network, and so far the ONLY 2 spam posts i've had so far were nothing like the automated spam I see on a phpBB2 forum I moderate. Both spam posts looked more like human posted spam then bot posted spam simply because they were nothing like the repetative automated crap I see on the phpBB2 forum I moderate.

So I would say in my experiance vBulleting is much better at preventing spam.
                    http://data.collectiveirc.net/status/user/Jobe.png

Comment

Originally posted by SNN View Post
                      If your server has GD/GD2 (don't know what it's called exactly, on Debian it's php5 or php4-gd) and you install the NoSpam! add-on
                      NoSpam doesn't require GD.

Comment

Originally posted by ManagerJosh View Post
                        Is freetype enough? My site's php info comes up like this. If this isn't the right info, then what should I look for?

FreeType Support enabled FreeType Linkage with TTF library

Thanks

Comment

It should be adequate.
                          ManagerJosh, Owner of 4 XenForo Licenses, 1 vBulletin Legacy License, 1 Internet Brands Suite License
                          Director, WorldSims.org | Gaming Hosting Administrator, SimGames.net, Urban Online Entertainment

Comment

widgetinstance 262 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
                          Working...
                          X