Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Login and Registering in other web

Hello,
    i'm working in a web company and i'm looking for a forum that we want to put in our web. The problem is the integration of users: we have already a user db (in Postgres) and we want that every user can log and register themselves through the login page of our web and not through the vBulletin.
    Another problem is the user session.
    Is there something to solve this problem with vBulletin?
    Thanx

make a new index files and copy the index of vb and make some modifaction

Comment

Please ignore x-Man-x.

Integrating vBulletin with other scripts is a topic discussed at vBulletin.org.

Comment

You'd need to do a lot of custom coding (same thing applies to any other software that you are going to integrate with a proprietary user db), but it is generally acheviable. Since vBulletin does not have a pgsql connector, you'd have to create your own code to act as a middleman to sync user data back and forth between vB's user and your own db of user, as well as control the login session and what not. vBulletin can identify users via cookie or session string, and you'd just need to give it the right info
        Best Regards,
        Andy Huang

Comment

Thanks a lot for your answer Andy Huang!
          I've an other question: if i change the code of user-login and registering, will i have problems for updates?
          thank you in advance

Comment

Unfortunately, you will most likely run into "I have to edit this all over again?!" issue if you edit the code directly.

Luckily for you, this would probably not be an issue as you don't need to actually edit the code. I've seen people achieve this by:
            1) Disable registration system on forum -- so users must register via their website
            2) Disable password change on the forum via template edit (removing the field and links) -- so users must change password via their website
            3) Remove login / logout buttons on the forum via template edit -- so all login are handled via their website
            4) Redirect the login shell (IE: the full login page; not the stuff on navbar) to their webpage via template edit -- so users login is handled via their website

All those are fairly simple template edits, and then all you need to worry about is to have your user registration system use teh data managers of vBulletin (make sure you use these; else the user cache may not be updated properly and then all their post would appear as if they are made by guests!) to generate new users at the same time they register on your website (IE: one connection to your pgsql to do your normal registration process; another to mysql to insert vbulletin user information).
            Best Regards,
            Andy Huang

Comment

I'm just about to start a site and want a forum to hang off it. My site though will have a mysql database for userdata, and the forum will only be an afterthought.

I'd like to completely hide any reference to any forum pages until the user wants to see the forum. This would include hiding the forum logon pages, but still use the forum d/b for authentication. The users would register using my own php pages, but be placed in the forum database as the single point for login authentication.

Is this possible? Have I made myself clear? Should I have started my own topic rather than hijack this one?

Comment

Possible yes; anything is possible, the sky isn't the limit.
                How to do it, you'd have to really analize the code and figure out what works for you.

You're likely looking at some of your own pages generated based on conditions of whether or not the visitor have proper authentication cookie records, and display content (IE: whether or not to show forum related information) based on that. I can't really go into detail as each configuration is unique, and this is not the place for custom code support... even for license holders
                Best Regards,
                Andy Huang

Comment

I understand - I use SMF right now and the solution given there is very similar, but I'd have to get someone else to do the work, as I would if I bought vB. Where's the best place to ask a few more in depth queries before I decide whether to buy, about how my pages would interract with the vB system?

Comment

You can try vbulletin.org for programming related questions; though, I don't think none license holders can post there. Alternatively, large programming related communities or web development communities should have forums for php development where you can voice your questions in
                    Best Regards,
                    Andy Huang

Comment

widgetinstance 262 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
                    Working...
                    X