Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• phpBB vs. vBulletin - ImpExp - two domains

Hello,

I'm ready to buy a VB license. But before, it would be great if I could get some answers to these questions. Assuming that my forum is powered by phpBB 2.0.21 version on MYDOMAIN.com
    1. Is it possible to ImpEx from MYDOMAIN.com to a completely new hosting solution on MYDOMAIN.net with the back-up called phpbb_db_backup.sql?
    2. Is it right the ImpEx tool will only work on the same hosting solution?
    3. Is it a "clean" tool?
    Thanks!

Hello,

Thank you for your interest in the vBulletin Forum Software and for contacting vBulletin Sales.

Yes, impex support importing your data from phpBB to vBulletin. It also supports remote systems. The impex config.php file can be pointed to a remote database, for example your phpbb one. (not the actual .sql file).

If you only have the .sql dumped file you could move that to the new hosting provider and restore it to a new empty database and then point impex to that database. You don't have to put the phpbb files up or have it running live.

Yes, impex can run stand alone, but we recommend to install it on top of vBulletin. This will be the "target", the "source" where you are importing from can be located anywhere. As long as impex has permission to remote connect to that database

I do not understand what you mean with clean.
    Yes, it is simple to use, integrated properly with vbulletin, and has no trojans or virusses

Comment

Amazing... you're very quick on giving responses here! Thanks!
      I want to be sure I understood everything you said.

Originally posted by Floris View Post
      If you only have the .sql dumped file you could move that to the new hosting provider and restore it to a new empty database and then point impex to that database. You don't have to put the phpbb files up or have it running live.
      In other words:
      1. I backup the *.sql phpBB database from MY.com
      2. I install VB on MY.net
      3. I upload the *.sql on MY.net
      4. I show to ImpEx the path to the *.sql file
      5. I launch the importation

Is my example right?

Yes, impex can run stand alone, but we recommend to install it on top of vBulletin. This will be the "target", the "source" where you are importing from can be located anywhere. As long as impex has permission to remote connect to that database
      How could I know if ImpEx can remotely connect from MY.net to MY.com in order to do the importantion on MY.net ?

I do not understand what you mean with clean.
      Yes, it is simple to use, integrated properly with vbulletin, and has no trojans or virusses
      I would mean, in my head it's maybe better to start a new clean installation instead of copy/paste things from phpBB to VB...

Thanks again for your reply!

Comment

In other words:
        3. I upload / import the *.sql on MY.net
        Go with that method.
        Plan, Do, Check, Act!

Comment

the only detail is that ImpEx is not pointing to your *.sql file but to the database where the *.sql is placed... ImpEx is not managing .sql files but databases...

if you have difficulties to deal with ImpEx, if you need support, you can start a new Support Ticket once you're a client of Jelsoft... they have AMAZING support...
          oh no, i'm not going with Xenforo... come on, i'm better than that... i stick with Wordpress... rofl

Comment

In other words:
            3. I upload the *.sql on MY.net
            Yes, create TWO databases.

database one : the one for vbulletin (install vbulletin here, then impex on top)

database two : the one for phpbb (restore the .sql dump from phpbb here, then point impex SOURCE to this one)

Once done with the impex you can keep the phpbb .sql dump as backup, and delete the second database and keep only the vbulletin one.

Comment

Thank you all for the responses! I'm fixed on my questions. I'll buy my license tomorrow and start the migration with the ImpEx manual.

The last question is: as soon as I installed VB, is it better to take time with the configuration of it, OR, is it better to launch ImpEx first and do the forum configuration after? I have about 1.600 threads and 100 users (a small but growing up community).

Thanks again for your support! You really gave me a positive impression!

Have a nice day.

Comment

As you are starting fresh, just install it and then impex the data. Then set up your forums and usergroups afterwards. Avoiding having to do it twice.

Thanks for your interest in the forum software and we're looking forward having you as a customer.

Comment

widgetinstance 262 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
                Working...
                X