Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• vBulletin / MySQL first timer

Hi,

I'm on the brink of setting up and ordering a VBulletin forum for an audience of 5,000 users here in the UK. I'm comfortable with all aspects of moderation, graphics, content etc although am a self confessed novice when it comes to how VBulletin functions with MySQL, PHP etc. I've read through the documentation on this site and just wondered if anyone could give me a quick "Idiots Guide" of if how I'm thinking is correct -
    • I understand I'll need to download and purchase the VBulletin software / licence etc for a set cost. This will give me all the relevant set up and moderating features as a direct download (I've used a free phpBB before - that's about it)
    • I gather I'll also need to download applications(?) from both php and MySQL (for database space) - from what I read these will be free of charge to download from their respective websites
    The confusion I've got is - do I download the php / MySQL related stuff first? What does this give me? do I then intergrate the database (MySQL) into the VBulletin through my desktop? i.e. when threads go on the forum they'll instantly begin to consume space on the MySQL?

From reading around, the MySQL database size is important for the VBulletin forum to function, additional space will be required e.g. 200MB, 300MB etc. as the forum grows over time - does this space need to be bought directly from MySQL or do VBulletin / MySQL do combined packages at point of sale (some of my uncertainty has come from me having to download from different websites )

Any advice appreciated - I'd just like to have some basic understanding on how the hosting / databases etc. are set up so that I can get on with the actual purchase and site building.

many thanks

vBulletin requires a web server that includes PHP (minimum version 4.3.3) and MySQL (minimum 4.0.16) installed. As long as you choose a host that meets these requirements you will be able to install and run our software.

Also please see the 'How much disk space do I need to run vBulletin?' section in the FAQ:

http:/www.vbulletin.com/faqsales.php
    Steve Machol, former vBulletin Customer Support Manager (and NOT retired!)
    Change CKEditor Colors to Match Style (for 4.1.4 and above)

Steve Machol Photography

Mankind is the only creature smart enough to know its own history, and dumb enough to ignore it.

Comment

Originally posted by lagwafis View Post
      • I gather I'll also need to download applications(?) from both php and MySQL (for database space) - from what I read these will be free of charge to download from their respective websites
      It is extremely unlikely that you will need to download anything from PHP or MySQL unless you are a web hosting expert and setting up your own server. When you get at web hosting account for $8-20 a month, they have already installed Apache, PHP, MySQL, etc. and configured them all to work properly with any script you might upload.

Originally posted by lagwafis View Post
      does this space need to be bought directly from MySQL or do VBulletin / MySQL do combined packages at point of sale (some of my uncertainty has come from me having to download from different websites )
      vBulletin does not sell web space. They sell forum software.

It is up to your web host to loan you part of a hard drive on one of their servers for you to host your website.

MySQL is database software that is installed and integrated with the operating system. They do not generally deal with the public unless you are a programmer or licensee, neither of which you need to be to use vBulletin.

1. Get a domain name ( www.BobVilaIsScary.com, etc. ).
      2. Get a web host ( search WebHostingTalk.com to find good ones and avoid the turkeys ).
      3. Download an FTP program like FileZilla. Learn it.
      4. Buy vBulletin. Unzip the files. Upload them using FTP to your new website.
      5. Edit 1 config file and upload that too.
      6. Visit www.yourwebsite.com/forums/install/install.php
      7. The rest is self-explanatory.

Comment

widgetinstance 262 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
      Working...
      X