Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New to vBulletin - Hosts, Domains and more questions

I'll make this simple, here's what I want to do:

1. Right now I have a free phpBB forum at "freeforums.org". I want to transfer it to vBulletin (is this even possible since I use a free host?). It only transfers member data and posts right? It won't transfer all the little add-ons, graphics or skins correct?

2. In order to have a vBulletin forum you need a host (which supports PHP and mySQL) and a domain right? How much does this all typically cost annually?

Also, can someone direct me to some further reading about domains and hosts in regards to vBulletin? I'm not very knowledged on the subject. I've been using free services my whole life and had never exerienced this before.

Thank you.

~Chris

1. Yes, we have an import script for phpBB. You can read about it here:

http://www.vbulletin.com/docs/html/impex_phpbb2

2. vBulletin requires a web server that includes PHP (minimum version 4.3.3) and MySQL (minimum 4.0.16) installed. As long as you choose a host that meets these requirements you will be able to install and run our software.

We do not make official recommendations regarding hosting companies. I suggest you view the vBulletin Hosting Options forum for advice from our customers:

http://www.vbulletin.com/forum/forum...?s=&forumid=11
    Steve Machol, former vBulletin Customer Support Manager (and NOT retired!)
    Change CKEditor Colors to Match Style (for 4.1.4 and above)

Steve Machol Photography

Mankind is the only creature smart enough to know its own history, and dumb enough to ignore it.

Comment

Originally posted by Steve Machol View Post
      2. vBulletin requires a web server that includes PHP (minimum version 4.3.3) and MySQL (minimum 4.0.16) installed. As long as you choose a host that meets these requirements you will be able to install and run our software.
      I know, I just wanted a round figure of how much people normally pay for a host and a domain. About what number am I looking at annually?

Also, can someone direct me to some further reading about domains and hosts in regards to vBulletin? I'm not very knowledged on the subject. I've been using free services my whole life and had never exerienced this before.
      I meant in general. I wasn't looking for a reccommendation.

Comment

I'll let others take a guess.

Steve Machol Photography

Mankind is the only creature smart enough to know its own history, and dumb enough to ignore it.

Comment

Yea, just tell me what you pay yearly to keep your forum running (leaving out cost of ads or stuff like that. I just mean the domain and host).

Comment

I have a dedicated server which is not relevant to your situation. I pay over $3000/yr.

Steve Machol Photography

Comment

And another question: Some vBulletin forums have lots of ads on them, while other have none. I noticed some forums have ads between posts. Is there an extra cost to have an ad free forum or something?

Comment

Yea, I'm not looking for something THAT professional lol. I'm only 18.

Comment

Not 100% sure how the ImpEx script works, as I haven't used it. But I am guessing that it will not work in your case. I am getting the impression that your current host does not provide you with FTP or direct database access. This would therefore make it impossible to upload vBulletin to that web host, thus, making it impossible to import data from PHPBB to vBulletin via the use of ImpEx.

I believe you'd need to start from scratch if you choose to use vBulletin, although you may want to wait for someone to verify what I've said before you do that.

In response to your other questions, vBulletin does not impose compulsory advertisments. You may (if you wish) implement your own advertising scheme in order to help cover the hosting costs. For instance, I put Google ads on my forum, and Google pay me X amount each month in order to help pay towards the running costs of my forum.

The type of hosting you will need depends on a few factors, these factors include the size of your forum and the level of user activity. Bigger and more active boards should be hosted on a VPS or even a dedicated server. (i.e. a virtual private server, or a your own server dedicated to your site). Smaller forums however may use typical shared hosting providers without any problems. Prices will vary, but do take note that many hosts offer services which look too good to be true. - These are typically hosts that offer excessive amounts of storage space and bandwidth at extremely low prices. Just remember that you generally get what you pay for.
                  Last edited by RichM; Sat 7 Apr '07, 10:51am.

Comment

I'm sure I could ask the freeforums.org admin to help me out. Maybe he would be able to transfer it for me even? *shrug*

Comment

Originally posted by kiFF View Post
                      I'm sure I could ask the freeforums.org admin to help me out. Maybe he would be able to transfer it for me even? *shrug*
                      If you know them, then this may be possible. However, if you do not know them personally, I'm willing to bet that they will not entertain this. It's worth a try though.

Comment

Well, I don't plan on getting over 100 members between now and when I get vBulletin. I could just email them and say "hey, I have a new forum now" lol. Not a big deal. That's why I think it's in my best interest to switch to vBulletin soon.

Comment

I just realized that on my forum you can create "backup files". I have downloaded a ".dat" file of my forum, will that enable me to transfer to vBulletin??

Comment

Anyone?

Comment

Jerry is the best guy to ask about importing.

You can ask in the import forum what you will need, and also what will be transferred over and what wont.

But typically I think you would want some kind of database dump from your existing board and then you would import from the backup, into vBulletin using the impex importing script.

Comment

widgetinstance 262 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
                              Working...
                              X