Spammers?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Spammers?

Hi, I'm about to re-purchase a license for vbulletin after running a phpbb forum for the past ten months. It's fine for a free board but what really gets me is the amount of spammers it attracts.

If I install vb365 will I be spammed like I am now (1200 members - 1000 spammers) or is there a way to repell them from the start?

vbulletin 3.6 has a robust image captcha to help prevent automated bots from registering on your site. You can also require email verification to help ensure users are legit and if its a real issue, you can manually verify all new registrations.

Although not offically supported by Jelsoft, there are also a number of plugins available at vbulletin.org to further reduce automated spamming.
    Plan, Do, Check, Act!

Comment

But they can still register can't they and they'll still appear in the members list like they do on phpbb? Thats my probelm

Comment

If you allow registration, then anyone can register.

How to Reduce Spam and Registration Bots
        Steve Machol, former vBulletin Customer Support Manager (and NOT retired!)
        Change CKEditor Colors to Match Style (for 4.1.4 and above)

Steve Machol Photography

Mankind is the only creature smart enough to know its own history, and dumb enough to ignore it.

Comment

Thanks for the link Steve, it's very helpful. Am I able to download a copy of the forum to make sure that it works on my server before I buy it?

Comment

No sorry. We do not have a trial version available.
            Steve Machol, former vBulletin Customer Support Manager (and NOT retired!)
            Change CKEditor Colors to Match Style (for 4.1.4 and above)

Steve Machol Photography

Mankind is the only creature smart enough to know its own history, and dumb enough to ignore it.

Comment

There is a test script though. If your server passes then you shouldn't have any problems.

http://www.vbulletin.com/download.php
              Jason Litka - Utter Ramblings

Comment

Thanks for the help guys. My prospective new host says that it should run fine.

Comment

widgetinstance 262 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
                Working...
                X