Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Seperating forum categories(lucasforums.com)...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Seperating forum categories(lucasforums.com)...

This is ALMOST exactly what I want to do:

http://www.lucasforums.com/

A main page that displays each forum with a kind of custom page and custom bottons. Would be nice to have the latest thread in addition to post and thread count as in the example.

When the visitor clicks on one, they are redirected to, what looks to be a vbulletin category that has its own custom forum skin.

However the entire thing is one forum, uses one license, and shares its member account info.

How did they do this? Is there an easy way for a designer like myself with limited coding ability, or do I need to hire someone? Would love if there were a hack for this.

There must be a way? Or is what they did custom?

And how difficult would it be?

You could ask the site owner as it appears to be running vbulletin by looking at the bottom.

Comment

Customer support forums have the code to separate categories. <snip> (Edit: oops, didn't notice this is the presales forum, sorry)</snip>

As for the style for each forum; that's default feature for vBulletin. Just set it when you're creating / editing the forums and select a default style.

The difficulty level for the separating categories is a "can you follow instructions editing code based on what is given to you" kinda thing... so not hard. The style for each forum is just point and click, so it is even easier You will, however, have to get designer to design the templates for you if you're not confortable working with some code though...
      Last edited by Andy Huang; Sat 10 Mar '07, 4:18pm.
      Best Regards,
      Andy Huang

Comment

Originally posted by Andy Huang View Post
        Customer support forums have the code to separate categories. <snip> (Edit: oops, didn't notice this is the presales forum, sorry)</snip>

As for the style for each forum; that's default feature for vBulletin. Just set it when you're creating / editing the forums and select a default style.

The difficulty level for the separating categories is a "can you follow instructions editing code based on what is given to you" kinda thing... so not hard. The style for each forum is just point and click, so it is even easier You will, however, have to get designer to design the templates for you if you're not confortable working with some code though...
        Awesome...that is VERY good news!! Thankyou Andy. Do you perhaps have a link to that code?

And I'm totally comfortable with skinning, won a vbotm years ago! ;-)

Comment

Don't know how much of it you can see without actually having a license or being listed on priority support; but the link to that is: here. It is tested on 3.0.x and 3.5.x; but since the style didn't change a whole lot, I'd imagine it works fine on 3.6.x as well.
          Best Regards,
          Andy Huang

Comment

That would require some fancy template modifications, but it's certainly possible.

Comment

widgetinstance 262 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
            Working...
            X