renewal fee

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• renewal fee

If I buy 3 or 4 Licenses do I need to keep up with each one of them?
    -- Do I need pay $30.00/year for each license or is that for all my licenses?

What is the price for taking out the Vbulletin link?

Is that per year or a one time fee?

Where is the link to look at the available mods?
    (Just to see the list) -- not a download link.

How is or difficult to own and operate a VB forum.
    (What kind of programming background is needed?)

Thanks

Originally posted by dotrig.com View Post
    If I buy 3 or 4 Licenses do I need to keep up with each one of them?
    -- Do I need pay $30.00/year for each license or is that for all my licenses?
    That's correct. 3 licenses would be $90/year. Note that you only need to renew when you want to download a new version of the software. People let their subscriptions lapse all the time. It does not affect support. You're paying for tech support when you get the initial $160 license.

Note that there is a bulk discount when buying owned licenses. Here's how it works:

Purchase license 1 and 2 for $160 each. Then later buy license 3 for $148. Total $468.
    Purchase license 1 for $160. Then later buy license 2 and 3 for $148 each. Total $456.
    Purchase license 1, 2, and 3 at the same time for $148 each. Total $444.

What is the price for taking out the Vbulletin link?
    You can remove all public mention of vBulletin except the copyright notice at the bottom. If you want to remove the copyright notice too, that is the Branding Free license which is $120 and applies to the life of the license.

Where is the link to look at the available mods?
    (Just to see the list) -- not a download link.
    http://www.vBulletin.org/

No programming background of any kind of needed to download, install, and run a vBulletin forum, as all settings are handled in one simple config file and then a robust control panel.

You can change 99% of the HTML generated by vBulletin without editing any files. And if you do want to modify or extend how vBulletin works, there are ~700 places within the code called Hooks where you can execute code alongside or in place of the existing code. Most Plugins are now written so instead of editing PHP files, which makes upgrading prohibitively complicated, you upload one or more XML files which extend vBulletin seamlessly.

P.S. If you have a list of the kind of features you are looking for and/or add-ons you think you will need, that would help us help you.
    Last edited by feldon23; Tue 6 Mar '07, 5:51pm.

Comment

I know a little HTML, have dabbled in Java (but still a beginner) so I'm far from an expert in anything 'programming' related. I am also the proud owner of a vB forum. The hardest part about running it is likely the install...and even that was rather easy. If you follow the instructions, and the on-screen prompts, it should work itself out.

When I installed it, I misconfigured the config file, it told me the error, I went back in & fixed it. All was swell, and I had it up and running in like 15 minutes (well, an hour and 15, if you want to include the time it took to RTFM).

Other then my personal experience, feldon23 did a FANTASTIC job answering all of your questions.
      Q

Comment

Qryztufre: Thanks for the input.
        -- I am very likely to get a 3 site license! only question is when?

feldon23: If I pay $30.00 the next year for only one site I can only upgrade that site to the new version and run the other two on the previous verison as long as that runs OK.
        And I could pay the $30.00 on say the 3rd year.
        -- And don't have to pay for the two lapsed years! correct?

When it comes to support, do I get support on just to make sure the forums runs OK or I can ask help questions on modifications I want to make?

And would the Additional $30.00 (would that give any phone support time?)

I just saw IPB has higher pricing, How does vBuletin and IBP compare.

Thanks

Comment

Modifications are supported at vBulletin.org.

The $30 is for software updates, not support and not phone support. And phone support does not cover modifications.

You'll want to check a 3rd party forum to compare IPB and vBulletin.

Comment

widgetinstance 262 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
          Working...
          X