Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• ? on Coming from phpBB

Hey,

I am thinking of going with you guys over phpBB and I had a couple questions:

1) Will I be able to transfer all of my members, posts, threads, etc?

2) My forums are a decent size but I don't think they are THAT big (3,203 members with 167,964 article). However, my server keeps deactivating it because it is too busy and they said it's running between 4 and 9 million queries with a database that is 240 MB. That sounds like an awful lot to me. Will this be an issue with you guys considering vBulletin is PHP-based as well?

I guess #2 is the biggest thing for me. Thanks in advance!

For your first question, just use the ImpEx script. It will pull all your phpBB data and import it into vBulletin.

As for the second question, that's really more of a server issue than a bulletin board issue. You'll have to talk to your host about all that.
    Forums

Comment

Well, I guess the big question is will vBulletin run between 4 and 9 million queries for a forum my size? Hopefully someone affiliated with vBulletin can answer...

Comment

You will have no problems with vB running a database of this size, but it is not really a vB issue, it's really a hosting issue you need to sort with a web host.

There are many sites out there with many more posts/threads/members than your current level who use vB successfully. I am currently at 514,000 posts and 8,000 members - no issues with vB performance at all. I do have a dedicated server though.

Good luck.
        John

Comment

Personally, and in my opinion, I have my reserves of hearing that a host claim that a server is crashing because an application is generating 4-9 million queries. Why? Simply because that's a HUGE ballpark figure. If we were talking maybe 1 million queries, I would have some doubts, but less reservations. A 5 million query difference seems, in query usage seems rather funny. It just doesn't look right.

Feel free to go through my forums though. I have query usage listed on my vBulletin pages so it should give you an idea how many queries you potentially you could be using.

And my other two cents, get a new host. I'm rather, well, skeptical at the claims your host is giving.
          ManagerJosh, Owner of 4 XenForo Licenses, 1 vBulletin Legacy License, 1 Internet Brands Suite License
          Director, WorldSims.org | Gaming Hosting Administrator, SimGames.net, Urban Online Entertainment

Comment

in a comparaison chart, i would tell the host may be right... phpBB is a process hunger beast, compared to vBulletin... remember it is not caching content or processes...

i know from experience that phpBB is more server-requesting than vB, and the bigger is your database, the bigger is the need for queries...

but the queries are not the only problem... server intense code is... as phpBB is not caching the content, there is a load of unrequested functions loaded, a lot of template files called, etc...

remember that for a single output page, phpBB calls a minimum of 20 files, compared to 7 to 9 for vBulletin... a host have reasons to complain when you have 10 000 visitors per day...

you have 2 solutions: convert to vBulletin, and move to a bigger host...
            you can even request the help of a real vBulletin coder or webmaster to make sure your site is performing the best situations possible... the bigger the boards are, the bigger are the needs for support!
            oh no, i'm not going with Xenforo... come on, i'm better than that... i stick with Wordpress... rofl

Comment

The queries used by vBulletin are rather well optimized. There's always room for improvement, but especially on the forum home page, they've kept it as low as possible.

If you switch from phpBB to vBulletin, do it because most of the things you're having to hack into phpBB by editing files are built into vBulletin. And because vBulletin just has a ton of well-organized features. That way you won't be disappointed if your web host complains that even on vB, your site is still using more of their resources than they think you should be.

Comment

Originally posted by Quillz View Post
                For your first question, just use the ImpEx script. It will pull all your phpBB data and import it into vBulletin.
                i am thinking too, to change to Vbulettin and i can not understand well how i can import it from phpBB..
                well the ImpEx script you do install it after you install the Vbulletin or together?... is it a different package of Vbulletin we need to downlnoad or just a separate file ....and do we install this while we install vbulettin?

sorry if the question are silly but i don't know a lot
                and hope its ok i asked on this topic why open a topic when already is there
                hope the topic starter dont mind asking me this here

Comment

Impex is available to all licensed customers and can be used to import your phpBB data. You obviously have to install vB first, after which you can install Impex and do your import.
                  Steve Machol, former vBulletin Customer Support Manager (and NOT retired!)
                  Change CKEditor Colors to Match Style (for 4.1.4 and above)

Steve Machol Photography

Mankind is the only creature smart enough to know its own history, and dumb enough to ignore it.

Comment

Originally posted by BeyondMedieval View Post
                    i am thinking too, to change to Vbulettin and i can not understand well how i can import it from phpBB..
                    well the ImpEx script you do install it after you install the Vbulletin or together?... is it a different package of Vbulletin we need to downlnoad or just a separate file ....and do we install this while we install vbulettin?
                    phpBB -> vBulletin is probably the #1 or #2 import done. If there were problems about it, you'd find hundreds of complaints here on vBulletin.com.

1. Upload vBulletin.
                    2. Edit configuration file for vBulletin.
                    3. Install vBulletin.
                    4. Install Impex into vBulletin.
                    5. Edit configuration file for ImpEx.
                    6. Run a test import of ImpEx.
                    7. If you like how everything looks, close down your phpBB forum and do another import.

If you have some custom styles, then between steps 3 and 4, create some styles in vB that look similar to how they look in phpBB. There is no phpBB -> vBulletin style importer, as it's TOTALLY different.

Comment

I used to run phpBB until I realized I needed to upgrade.

I now have
                      1.2 million posts
                      110,000 members

Even though my server fees are high because of the traffic I receive...

I have absolutely no problems running VB, highly recommended.

Comment

I just came from phpBB and am very happy with vBulletin. Many of the features I needed to add-on to phpBB come standard with vB.

Donuts to donuts, it's seems like we need more server performance to run vB than phpBB.

Comment

Originally posted by tonyw View Post
                          I just came from phpBB and am very happy with vBulletin. Many of the features I needed to add-on to phpBB come standard with vB.

Donuts to donuts, it's seems like we need more server performance to run vB than phpBB.
                          That's the same reason I'm looking at changing, because I'm sick of figuring out code and adding mods to my phpbb forum, as well. Can you shed some light on which items you found standard on the vbulletin board that weren't on the phpbb?

Chris
                          www.utvrally.com

Comment

These phpBB mods are built into vBulletin:
                            • "Edited by" by Usergroup
                            • Add Poll to Existing Thread
                            • Attachment thumbnails
                            • Attachments (including reusing in multiple threads/posts without duplication)
                            • Birthdays
                            • Captcha (anti-spam image verification)
                            • Categories/Subforums
                            • Custom User Titles
                            • Default Post Sort Order per forum
                            • Disable Post Counting in certain forums
                            • Edit Attachments
                            • Edit does not count as "flooding"
                            • Hosted Signature Images
                            • Inline AJAX Moderation -- close, open, rename, merge, without going to AdminCP or ModCP or even opening the thread. All done at-a-glance from thread/forum list
                            • Inline Sticky/Announcement
                            • Last Visit by each user
                            • Local Avatars
                            • Merge Threads
                            • Minimum Posts before PM and E-mail Allowed
                            • Moderate Own Topics
                            • MSN Messenger, Yahoo, Skype, AIM, ICQ buttons which link to profile/contact this user
                            • Notifications on new thread reply -- choice of Daily Digest, Immediate E-mail Notification, or Subscribed Threads list
                            • PM user autocomplete
                            • Post Moderation (Approval/Validation) by Usergroup
                            • Printer-friendly Topic View
                            • Publicly Joinable Usergroups
                            • Quick Reply
                            • Report Posts
                            • Search by Thread Title
                            • Smart Dates ("2 hours ago", "3 days ago")
                            • Subscribed/Watched Topics
                            • This user online/offline in thread view
                            • Thread Creator can Delete Topic
                            • Usergroup Promotions (change usergroup based on # of posts, # of days, etc.)
                            • Username link to Profile
                            • Users and/or Usergroups appear with special coloring/styling
                            • Users can browse without Avatars, Sigs, etc.
                            • View Single Post
                            • Who Posted in a thread

And of course the whole Template system which requires no PHP editing to make huge changes to how vBulletin displays everything. No CSS editing for color, instead a robust color control panel.

There are MANY MANY MANY more features that vBulletin has that phpBB does not.

Comment

Wow, I'm sold! Holy cow! Last question:

If I want to embed videos from youtube, google, myspace, etc is it still possible to modify Vbulletin similar to phpbb or do these additional modifications cost additional money? Basically, is it still customizable if needed?

Chris
                              www.utvrally.com

Comment

widgetinstance 262 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
                              Working...
                              X