considering vb.. some questions first

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• considering vb.. some questions first

I am considering purchasing vbulletin for a forum website i have in mind.
    Some questions:

1. I need a host. i looked at the host experiences thread, but was unable to draw any real good consensus. What is a reasonable host for a startup website? I don't expect a lot of traffic at first, but i do want it to handle ok if i suddenly get a bunch of visitors. Not looking to spend a lot either. dreamhost seems reasonable, but don't know if they're any good.

2. how much time does it normally take to get everything set up? i have set up other php forums in the past, but i don't remember how long it took me to get things set up in full. I'm talking installing and customizing/designing for use. where can i find good tutorial resources in addition to the manual for setting up a vbulletin. something that covers setting up a MySQL database would be nice (i forget how to do this stuff and it is required before running the install script).

one more question: lets say one wants to sell advertising to help maintain the site. how would i present traffic reports etc to prospective advertisers? is there a way that this is done within vbulletin? what things do advertisers usually look for? is there a way to track referrals / links to advertisers within vbulletin?

thanks in advance.
    jcmuse
    Last edited by jcmuse; Mon 12 Feb '07, 11:54am.

Originally posted by jcmuse View Post
    I am considering purchasing vbulletin for a forum website i have in mind.
    Some questions:

1. I need a host. i looked at the host experiences thread, but was unable to draw any real good consensus. What is a reasonable host for a startup website? I don't expect a lot of traffic at first, but i do want it to handle ok if i suddenly get a bunch of visitors. Not looking to spend a lot either. dreamhost seems reasonable, but don't know if they're any good.
    I highly recommend VONetwork. They offer pretty good hosting at resonable rates. http://www.vonetwork.net - I've been with them for years, and will continue to use their services.

Comment

Information about setting up your MySQL database can be found in our manual here: http://www.vbulletin.com/docs/html/main/create_database

The installation of vBulletin does not take very long. After that, the setting up of your forums and settings, and any other customization that you wish to perform really takes as long as you want to spend on it.

Comment

widgetinstance 262 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
      Working...
      X