Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Invision Power Board Smilies can be used with vb legally?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• KimmiKat
    replied
    I've been using IPB smilies since my board used to be IPB and never changed them out when I went to vB. I never did care for the default vB smilies although I have seen some IPB boards with them.

Leave a comment:

• Quillz
    replied
    Originally posted by Ohiosweetheart View Post
    To be honest - I've seen the smilies used by vB, all over the net - on download sites, on websites, forums, blogs, etc.

If they're copyrighted by vB, they're certainly not exclusive any longer - and haven't been for a very long time.
    It's not that they are no longer owned by Jelsoft... It's just that Jelsoft doesn't have the time to go after every site that is using its emoticons.

Leave a comment:

• Ohiosweetheart
    replied
    lol - cute nex

Leave a comment:

• nexialys
    replied
    anyway... they are ugly... LOL

(hey, i'm the devil's advocate!)

Leave a comment:

• Ohiosweetheart
    replied
    To be honest - I've seen the smilies used by vB, all over the net - on download sites, on websites, forums, blogs, etc.

If they're copyrighted by vB, they're certainly not exclusive any longer - and haven't been for a very long time.

Leave a comment:

• joeychgo
    replied
    Originally posted by TheMusicMan View Post
    Thanks for the clarification folks... I thought as much. So if you run vB and IPB on the same site, you could technically have vB smilies and IPB smilies on the site.

It would seem so as far as I can tell ---

Leave a comment:

• TheMusicMan
    replied
    Thanks for the clarification folks... I thought as much. So if you run vB and IPB on the same site, you could technically have vB smilies and IPB smilies on the site.

Leave a comment:

• Kier
    replied
    If you own a vBulletin license you may use the vBulletin smilies and icons on the site on which vBulletin is installed, provided that you do not pass them off as being anything other than vBulletin copyright.

When your license expires, you must remove the images just as you must remove the vBulletin scripts.

Leave a comment:

• TheMusicMan
    replied
    Originally posted by Steve Machol View Post
    You cannot use vB copyrighted images and materials on non-vB pages.
    Is that right Steve by applying this to smilies...?

So, if I have a domain with vB in a sub-dir, and the main domain controlled by say a separate CMS (not vBA) - I am not allowed to use my vB smilies...?? is that what you are saying here Steve? I need to obtain a separate set of smilies if I want to display any of these on the same domain, but on my non-forum pages...?

Leave a comment:

• BassX
    replied
    Great link nexialys.

Leave a comment:

• nexialys
    replied
    if you think your users deserve the best smilies possible, why use the IPB pack when FeltTip is 10 times better, have a bigger collection, and are copyleft ?!

http://www.deviantart.com/deviation/20097942/

... @Mazinger, that one is hilarious !

Leave a comment:

• Mazinger
    replied
    Is clear.gif included?

Leave a comment:

• VietLang
    replied
    Originally posted by Terminatoronly View Post
    For Me I Dont Know But To Be Honest I Do Use Them Because They Are Well Designed
    This I disagree as I don't like IPB emoticons at all. I think the phpBB's and vB's are much better.

Leave a comment:

• Steve Machol
    replied

Leave a comment:

• Xplorer4x4
    replied
    Originally posted by ---MAD--- View Post
    There are lots of similar ones to IPB smilies around a for free as well (if IPB say no). I doubt they would say no though.

I was wondering, is the visa versa allowed? Ie can people use vBulletin smilies on IPB forums?
    No.
    What if we have an IPB and vB license?

I don't but was simply curious.

Leave a comment: