• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• A huge list of questions

hi

I run the site path-to-peace.com/forum which currently runs using:

- SMF
    - Tinyportal (something like vbadvanced but a lot more advanced)

Apart from that my forum system uses:

- SMf Arcade + IPB/PNP/PHPBB arcade mod which allows it to use games from any forum system

- SMf Gallery: just ur average gallery mod

- SMf Radio + TV: a mod which allows my site to have live / prerecorded radio and tv streams from any sites which broadcast

- SMF Shop: a fun activity where users ear points when they post and can buy avatars, and other knic knacks to do with forum..just for fun

Apart from the above mentioned the site + portal also provide features such as:
    - downloads /uploads managment
    - articles
    - 'Be a mod' form which posts in the selected board + sends out the application to mods and admins on submission

=============now the questions============

Keeping all the above in prospective can vB provide all those features via mods / addons ?

Also about a year back I asked if vB supports porting over a SMF database to vB preserving all the posts and members..I was told NO.
    Is it now possible? Has a conversion engine for the DB been developed or is the answer still no?

Please give detailed answers if possible pointing me to related mods / addons if possible so I could red about them and see if they meet my requirements.

I will probably transfer over to vB if it can meet my requirements.
    I love SMF and very comfortable with it but my users are wanting a port over to vB so I am seriously considering it. Obiviously I will have to start from scratch learning about this new system. But if its anything like SMf I should have no problem at all.

Looking forward to your replies,
    Aku

Originally posted by akulion View Post
    hi

I run the site path-to-peace.com/forum which currently runs using:

- SMF
    - Tinyportal (something like vbadvanced but a lot more advanced)

Apart from that my forum system uses:

- SMf Arcade + IPB/PNP/PHPBB arcade mod which allows it to use games from any forum system

- SMf Gallery: just ur average gallery mod

- SMf Radio + TV: a mod which allows my site to have live / prerecorded radio and tv streams from any sites which broadcast

- SMF Shop: a fun activity where users ear points when they post and can buy avatars, and other knic knacks to do with forum..just for fun

Apart from the above mentioned the site + portal also provide features such as:
    - downloads /uploads managment
    - articles
    - 'Be a mod' form which posts in the selected board + sends out the application to mods and admins on submission

=============now the questions============

Keeping all the above in prospective can vB provide all those features via mods / addons ?

Also about a year back I asked if vB supports porting over a SMF database to vB preserving all the posts and members..I was told NO.
    Is it now possible? Has a conversion engine for the DB been developed or is the answer still no?

Please give detailed answers if possible pointing me to related mods / addons if possible so I could red about them and see if they meet my requirements.

I will probably transfer over to vB if it can meet my requirements.
    I love SMF and very comfortable with it but my users are wanting a port over to vB so I am seriously considering it. Obiviously I will have to start from scratch learning about this new system. But if its anything like SMf I should have no problem at all.

Looking forward to your replies,
    Aku
    Yes, SMF can now be converted using impex

Addons:
    You can get arcade
    You can get gallery
    You can get portal
    Not sure about radio+tv one
    Shop - I think i see something like this a while back
    Downloads - Yes
    the "Be a mod" I haven't seen, but you could always make a forum for them to post in.

Also, I'm sure you will be happy with vB, its ACP is a lot more different tho.

Comment

Thanks thats good news!

Ive been looking around as well at the featured sites and other features looks very nice.

I think ill get it as soon as I get a list of things that need to be done together, since I would like the porting over time to be as small as possible and planning is the key!

Thanks again for your rapid and helpful response
      aku

Comment

I just want to confirm that there are available add-ons for Radio/TV broadcasting sites as well as point system shops.

For further questions regarding vBulletin extendibility or available add-ons visit or post at www.vbulletin.org. It's vB official resource site, however all 3rd party add-ons are not supported by Jelsoft.
        You're spending millions of dollars on a website?!

Comment

Thanks

I just got a reply from a friend of mine who runs a vB forum...he is allowing me full access to his board so I can get some hands on experience on the back end.

Looks a bit confusing at first - there are SO MANY options, but hes walking me through these so I am sure ill get a hang of it.

Comment

Even better, get your hands on your own demo:
            http://www.vbulletin.com/admindemo.php

Don't ruin your friend's forum.
            You're spending millions of dollars on a website?!

Comment

widgetinstance 262 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
            Working...
            X