Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• webpaq
    replied
    It will only be under one domain, not two domains, let me straighten that out there. I give up explaining it, it seems that there isn't any plugin available for this so I'll have to rethink

Leave a comment:

• Andy Huang
    replied
    If the users from the other domain will see only the above mentioned sections, and not the forums of your regular domain; or vice versa, the regular domain users will only see contents from the regular domain, and not the support/hosting forums, then you will require two licenses to do that; even if it is only one installation.

Leave a comment:

• webpaq
    replied
    no, what I want to do is the following

It can be rather hard to start a forum so I have devised a plan to launch a forum on a regular domain. I would also offer free web hosting on another domain and the user's would be required to register and be an active member of the forum to receive free account upgrades. The only thing is that forum would also serve as a support forum also for the free hosting accounts, what I want to do is give them a special link to signup at the forum so when the register they are in the free hosting group, therefore they will see a category dedicated to free account upgrades and technical support. I plan to use this tactic to kind of jump start the forum instead of having to pay people to make pretend forum posts to jumpstart it. If somebody finds the forum let's say off google, I don't want them to see any affiliation with the free hosting website, so that's what I'm looking to do and I would like to find if there is anyway to do this

Leave a comment:

• feldon23
    replied
    You can create publicly joinable usergroups but everyone would be aware of those usergroups.

You could create a custom user profile field that they can fill in with a value they receive. Then an administrator can look at those values as they come in and promote each user to certain usergroups. You might even be able to have a plugin written at vBulletin.org for you to auto-move users who fill in a custom profile field a certain way to a certain group.

With 1 license, you may hide and show parts of the forum as long as it is all under one domain name. You may not create the illusion of multiple forums on multiple websites. For instance, you cannot do xboxgaming.com and ps3gaming.com and each one connects to the same vBulletin forum but you're hiding the fact that it's one forum.

Leave a comment:

• Andy Huang
    replied
    None that I'm aware of; but I'd imagine it could be done with a custom plugin.

Just a reminder that you are only allowed one installation per license, if you opt the multidomain method, you're not allowed to 'hide' things from your visitors by doing things like the above... but I'm sure you already know that, right

Leave a comment:

• webpaq
    started a topic mod question

mod question

Is there a modification available that would allow you to setup groups persay. Then you could give out a signup link and the people that signup using that signup link will then be in the group. I would like that specific group to be only able to view a certain section of the forum. I don't want people signing up at the forum to be put into the group, I don't even want people to know about the group.
widgetinstance 262 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
Working...
X