Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Opening a forum

Hello guys, I need some help.

I have been wanting to open a forum for quite some time now, and I have recently managed to acquire an administration of 5 (me included) who are willing to go ahead. We have the audience, the target group, the alloted-number of people that will get us started, and know how to make it grow.

Now what is lacking, is the technical side of the forum. We all do not have much technical info into opening websites and forums, or php coding or whatever, although we have connections with people that have already opened websites and are knowledgeable enough in case we need some help in that area.

I want to open a vbulletin forum that works and that might in the future host as many as thousands of members and tens of thousands of posts. That is not our main problem. I know that I have to have a domain and a host basically, to host our forum on it. I have decided on buying (owned or leaced) a license for a vbulletin forum. I want to know how much space would I need for a server and what exactly should I know or do to be able to work the vbulletin forum on a website. I have been directed to a website that holds 20gb disk space, 750gb transfer space and that supports php/mysql, and other options at a price of about 10$ a month.

What are the exact steps that I should take to open the forum, after having bought the license for the forum and bought the domain/host which I have mentioned above.

I know that vbulletin does not require php knowledge but minimal html knowledge (which i have), but I am simply not sure into how it works and how would the forum be uploaded on the host and if the options on that host would be enough, and so on.

I just want to make sure that I'm doing everything right and that I'm taking the right steps. I don't want to wind up with a license for vbulletin and a host and not know what to do.

I would appreciate it if anybody could give me some advice on how to proceed.

Thank you

It's not hard.

Enter your Control panel for your hosting.
    Create a database

Edit the config.php to reflect your database
    Upload your vBulletin files.
    Run the install script.

Comment

Originally posted by ComputerVitals View Post
      It's not hard.

Enter your Control panel for your hosting.
      Create a database

Edit the config.php to reflect your database
      Upload your vBulletin files.
      Run the install script.
      Ok...Well I dont know if you saw the note that says that I'm a newbie, and that I don't have any php knowledge and only some html knowledge, so bare with me here.

The control panel from the host/domain that I buy? What should I do with the database? Am I supposed to create a config.php file and upload all the Vbulletin on it?

I know that you - and others - would surely be laughin at me, but I'm really a newbie and have minimal knowledge in those matters. I am assuming that vbulletin is easy-to-use and does not require knowledge in php, and is sort of a step-by-step guide and that is why I want to open a forum even if I don't have much knowledge in that area.

Will I basicaly have to create one 'page', and upload the config.php file which contains the vbulletin files in them and edit vbulletin from there and everything will be alright?

Comment

Hello,

Thank you for your interest in vBulletin.

Installing vBulletin is a task that does not bring much problems for most of our customers (and many have no knowledge of PHP or other technical skills) and if needed our Support staff can guide you through any problems you might encounter. If you really feel uncomfortable about installing vBulletin, you can always at any time purchase our Professional Installation Service.

You can read more about the installation process in our manual ( Installing vBulletin ), but the basic process consist of:
        - Download vBulletin from our Members' Area
        - Unzip the package on your PC
        - Rename and edit the configuration file.
        - Upload all files to your server
        - Run the installation script.

About choosing the right host for your board, this will epend on the size of your board, the number and size of attachments used and the number of concurrent members online.

I do suggest that you investigate the host of your choice prior to purchasing a package, remember that hosts that are offering a lot of diskspace/bandwidth for a low prizes are very likely overselling their capicity. Some places to look before deciding on a host:
        - vBulletin Hosting Options
        - www.webhostingtalk.com
        Want to take your board beyond the standard vBulletin features?
        Visit the official Member to Member support site for vBulletin Modifications: www.vbulletin.org

Comment

Originally posted by Marco van Herwaarden View Post
          Hello,

Thank you for your interest in vBulletin.

Installing vBulletin is a task that does not bring much problems for most of our customers (and many have no knowledge of PHP or other technical skills) and if needed our Support staff can guide you through any problems you might encounter. If you really feel uncomfortable about installing vBulletin, you can always at any time purchase our Professional Installation Service.

You can read more about the installation process in our manual ( Installing vBulletin ), but the basic process consist of:
          - Download vBulletin from our Members' Area
          - Unzip the package on your PC
          - Rename and edit the configuration file.
          - Upload all files to your server
          - Run the installation script.

About choosing the right host for your board, this will epend on the size of your board, the number and size of attachments used and the number of concurrent members online.

I do suggest that you investigate the host of your choice prior to purchasing a package, remember that hosts that are offering a lot of diskspace/bandwidth for a low prizes are very likely overselling their capicity. Some places to look before deciding on a host:
          - vBulletin Hosting Options
          - www.webhostingtalk.com
          Hello, thanks for your reply.

So I can see that the only 'problem' or issue that I'll have a hard time with is the editing of the vBulletin configuration file and to a lesser extent the uploading of the files unto the server. After that, the configuration of vBulletin seems to be simple as I have seen according to the link that you have given me.

I guess I can ask a friend who knows php pretty well to help me with this phase just until I can launch the forum and have it up and ready on the server and host, and then continue the configuration of the forum on my own (with the user-configurable options i mean).

Now as for the host/domain, a friend advised me to use a package that he uses to run a website (with weekly podcasts, a small phpbb forum, etc.). He told me that he's never encoutered any problems and that it's pretty good.

As for the specs, it's got 20gb disk space, 750gb data transfer, 2 .com domains, 30 MySQL 5.x databases with PHPMyAdmin, 100 POP3 emails with 500 mb storage, and supports html, shtml, xhtml, linux features are php4, php5, ruby on rails, python and perl/ cgi-bin. I think it's pretty good, but I've never opened a forum before so I wouldn't know how much space I would need.

Now I know that I need a certain version of php and MySQL to open the forum, and I do not know if those that I can get with the package listed above would do. Furthermore, I read somewhere that i should have seperate php and MySQL databases i think, now whats the difference and what exactly does MySQL do or it doen't really matter in that subject because it would all be run from the vBulletin and the only database that I would need would be the one run from config.php?

Thank you once again for your perseverance

Comment

If you have MySQL 5 and php 4, and this server has ruby on rails installed, I would assume that this server can handle vBulletin no problem.

It's really best if you can find out what version of MySQL and PHP they are running first.

It might help to post the names of some web hosts you are considering.

Comment

If you want a stable, excellent support and good pricing, I suggest www.lunarpages.com. They are just excellent .

Also, you dont need any PHP knowledge to run a forum. All instructions can be found in the vbulletin manual and there are plenty of support staff and members that can support you if you run into any trouble . All of which is off course free unless you decide to hire someone to do the dirty work .

Comment

widgetinstance 262 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
              Working...
              X