ImpEx to a new host?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• ImpEx to a new host?

Can I use ImpEx if my vBulletin is hosted on another site as the SMF forum that I want to import in? If so, how do I do this?

This depends on a few factors (generally, you can make it possible!).
    One of the most important things you're looking at is whether or not the MySQL server is an 'intranet' on your SMF forum. This can be easily identified if your old host (the one housing SMF) tells you to enter 'mysqlserver' or 'sqlhost' instead of a full domain such as 'mysql.yourdomain.com' as your MySQL server. If this is the case, you might not be able to access the server from your new host and you will need to export the old database via tools such as phpMyAdmin, and then import it locally on your new host.

Another thing to note for is the user access. MySQL user account needs to have the access rights to be used remotely. By default, cPanel, DirectAdmin and most other popular control panel softwares defaults the user access to localhost. You can edit this setting via your control panel or MySQL root account. Assign its access mask to % (for everywhere on internet) or specified IP address if you know what IP address your new host's MySQL accessing server is running on. This way your new hosting location can access the old one directly.

If you've done the above and it still doesn't work; there is a possibility that either of the two hosts have a firewall setting to prevent MySQL being accessed from offsite location (IE: new hosting says we don't want you to use other ppl's mysql server, or old hosting says we don't want other ppl to be accessing our mysql server). If this is the case, you can either contact your hosts and find out what's the cause of the problem, and try to recitify it; or you'd have to use the same phpMyAdmin export, and then import method.

In all cases, as long as you still have access to the database via phpMyAdmin or alike; you can ALWAYS export the database, and then import on the new hosting location and finally import via ImpEx locally.
    Best Regards,
    Andy Huang

Comment

Yes, you can install vbulletin and install impex on top of it. And point the config of impex to the source, the host address for mysql can be set to a new IP. The remote host must allow the IP from the target. this is something your hosting provider can give you.

Comment

widgetinstance 262 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
      Working...
      X