Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

can i import from phpbb2plus 1.53 arabic?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• can i import from phpbb2plus 1.53 arabic?

hi, before i buy vb, i would like to know if it is possible to import from my old forum which is phpbb2plus 1.53 in arabic.

will all the users , topics and attachments be properly imported?

do i have to install arabic language and templates for vb before importing?

thanks

Hi!
    I'm not sure on phpbb2plus, but I know you can go from phpbb to vbulletin.

As far as to arabic, I am sure. I remember seeing a language file a little while ago.

There really is nothing too hard about adding a language. All you have to do is upload the file through the admin CP.

Comment

ok, i would like to test it out for my self....

could you tell me where to find an upto date arabic language file and template?

the template is really important because arabic is a right to left language, so the allignment for everything has to be switched...

Comment

I think you wouldn't need but default templates. You can change the allignment direction (Right to Left) from Admin CP after you upload the language file.

Various Arabic Language Packs are available to download here for licensed customers.
        Last edited by Mazinger; Fri 5 Jan '07, 10:03am.
        $post[signature]

Comment

The big concern is not the language or the buttons but whether phpbb2plus 1.53 arabic has had any significant changes in how threads, posts, and users are stored when compared to phpBB. If so, then the import will be a problem.

vBulletin doesn't care about styles, buttons, or languages when importing, just the data.

Comment

Basically, your only concern would be if impex can convert your forum. If it is similar to phpbb in table design and some other things, than it should be able to.
            As far as VB supporting Arabic forums, and being rtl, I saw a link the other day to a forum that was like this.
            http://www.urstorm.com/vb

It is very possible, and even easy to do through Admin CP

Comment

well...the thing is I would like to test it BEFORE I buy it...not after.....so language packs only for licensed customers are really besides the point...

im worried about what will happen to the encoding while moving the database...ie all the information stored in the db in Arabic....user names, topics, attachment etc....I want to know if they can be imported properly before I buy Vb...if they can't, then I have no use for VB...

I know Vb works in Arabic..there are many Vb forums in Arabic, but I have no idea whether importing Arabic works...

as far as i know, the only significant difference that phpbb plus version has to the original phpbb is the categories hierarchy mod..

Comment

Originally posted by thedark1 View Post
                well...the thing is I would like to test it BEFORE I buy it...not after.....
                I'm sorry but that option is not available.
                Steve Machol, former vBulletin Customer Support Manager (and NOT retired!)
                Change CKEditor Colors to Match Style (for 4.1.4 and above)

Steve Machol Photography

Mankind is the only creature smart enough to know its own history, and dumb enough to ignore it.

Comment

ok, do you if phpbb with categories hierarchy mod can be successfully imported?

Comment

Impex will import the standard phpBB data. It will not import data from database modifications.

Steve Machol Photography

Mankind is the only creature smart enough to know its own history, and dumb enough to ignore it.

Comment

hmmmm.....for forums software which costs a lot as opposed to phpbb which costs nothing, the support here certainly doesn't warrant the price....and is indicative of the kind of treatment im going to get after becoming one of your "valued" customers.....

as a potential customer i would have expected something more helpful and a dash more friendly from people who are supposed to be enticing me to buy their product....but perhaps you're already too rich and have too many customers...so I'll be leaving, either sticking to my phpbb or possibly switching to a nulled version of Vb...after all, the only reason I would pay for Vb is to get support...and seeing as how your support is.....I wont bother getting a licensed copy...

Comment

I answered your questions honestly. I guess I could have lied to you just to try to get your money, but frankly that's not the way we operate around here.

Good luck in the future.

Steve Machol Photography

Comment

hmmmm.....for forums software which costs a lot as opposed to phpbb which costs nothing, the support here certainly doesn't warrant the price....and is indicative of the kind of treatment im going to get after becoming one of your "valued" customers.....

as a potential customer i would have expected something more helpful and a dash more friendly from people who are supposed to be enticing me to buy their product....but perhaps you're already too rich and have too many customers...so I'll be leaving, either sticking to my phpbb or possibly switching to a nulled version of Vb...after all, the only reason I would pay for Vb is to get support...and seeing as how your support is.....I wont bother getting a licensed copy...
                          Sorry to butt in here, but I would like to know how you find the answer not friendly.. Because it is a fact that impEX will only import the main part of the database and not all the modifications, because impex wasn't designed to import all your modifications, it was designed to import unmodified boards, importing a modified board will work on most, but maybe not on others depends if you've altered main tables.

Comment

With the answer now making you happy you begin to insult the staff here?

How about you just stick with whatever fork of phpbb you have.

Comment

I miss the part where unfriendliness played a role here. Threatening to use a nulled version of vBulletin makes you look like an assh**e. Sorry for being so blunt about it, but I can't stand people who use pirated software.
                              The Relationship Forum
                              The Relationship Forum is the best online forum for getting advice and help about romantic and non-romantic relationships, dating and marriage advice, and love.

Comment

widgetinstance 262 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
                              Working...
                              X