vBulletin vs IP.Board (IPB) 2.2.1

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• vBulletin vs IP.Board (IPB) 2.2.1

I have been reading threads similar to this one however all the threads I read were about IPB 1.3, but my dilemma is about IPB 2.2.1. I do not know which one to pick cause I don't know which one is better. I've helped my friend with vBulletin so i know everything (not literally) everything about it, however I have been looking at IPB and I see exactly what I want/need. There "Enhanced" profile is clean and sleek and is more of a mini myspace in a way. They have a login name and a display name which would go good with my TGNLiVe system cause it has a UserID and Display Name. So why should I chose vBulletin over Invision Power Board?

You're not going to get an impartial comparison of IPB 2 and vBulletin 3.6 at vBulletin.com. If you really want impartial opinions, try some other forums like sitepoint.com.

Comment

Yeah, your going to get a more biased towards vBulletin response on a vBulletin community forum and a more biased IPB response on the IP.Board forums. I have never tried 2.2, but I have tried 2.1 of Invision Power Board and I like it. The admin CP is definitely better than vBulletin's, honestly but the support from Invision is horrible. Trust me. I was a customer.

Proof of me being a former customer, is that I am a member on IPS Beyond, which is an IPB website only for customers or former customers. http://www.ipsbeyond.com/forums/inde...showuser=12811

Comment

Whether you go with vBulletin or IP.Board, you'll probably be satisfied, as they are the two best BBS available, imo. They are well worth the cost of their licenses. That said, they each have their pluses and minuses. From a pure technical standpoint, vB has more stock features, although I've always felt that IP.Board has had a better design, from the board layout to the ACP. You should try out both using the online demo, and see which one your prefer.
        Forums

Comment

Originally posted by Quillz View Post
          Whether you go with vBulletin or IP.Board, you'll probably be satisfied, as they are the two best BBS available, imo. They are well worth the cost of their licenses. That said, they each have their pluses and minuses. From a pure technical standpoint, vB has more stock features, although I've always felt that IP.Board has had a better design, from the board layout to the ACP. You should try out both using the online demo, and see which one your prefer.
          vBulletin is better and cheaper.

Comment

vBulletin is full view source ( you can see the whole source ). IPB isn`t ( from what I know ). This means you can customize vBulletin without having problems with protected files ( of course, you need to obey their TOS and policy ). Either way, I`ve seen vBulletin perform much faster than IPB. All the sites that I`ve visited, and had IPB installed, loaded alot slower. And I know it wasn`t because of their servers or my connection . My honest opinion

And I totally disagree with Quillz.
            Last edited by t3nt3tion; Fri 29 Dec '06, 12:16pm.

Comment

Originally posted by t3nt3tion View Post
              vBulletin is full open source. IPB isn`t ( from what I know ). This means you can customize vBulletin without having problems with protected files ( of course, you need to obey their TOS and policy ). Either way, I`ve seen vBulletin perform much faster than IPB. All the sites that I`ve visited, and had IPB installed, loaded alot slower. And I know it wasn`t because of their servers or my connection . My honest opinion
              Neither vBulletin or IP.Board are open source. They are both visible source, which means that you can modify the source files, but you must first pay a licensing fee. It's true that you can customize vBulletin without having problems with protected files, but the same is true of IP.Board, as well. Performance depends largely upon the server, not the board software.
              Forums

Comment

Thread updated quillz.

Comment

Originally posted by t3nt3tion View Post
                  Thread updated quillz.
                  You are perfectly entitled to your opinion, but it's incorrect to say that IP.Board isn't "full" visible source, when it is. Both vB and IP.Board allow you to view and modify the source files. Unless you are referring to some unsupported beta releases made by IPS in the past, I don't understand why you would come to the conclusion that IP.Board isn't "full" visible source. After all, being able to edit source files is what makes vB and IPB as popular as they both are.
                  Forums

Comment

Well which one has more modifications and can support a large community smoothly. I know one of my friends has IPB 2.1.6 and 7,000+ active members with about 300 on at once and it goes slowly and sometimes says database error. And on our first day being opened were projected to hit 2,000 members.

Comment

@quillz

Like I said, I didn`t know. Just checked, and you are right, it`s viewable entirely.

Comment

If 300 simultaneous online users cannot be done on a high-end server with RAIDed SCSI hard drives, then it may require 2 servers, a SQL server and an Apache server, which vBulletin fully supports.

Comment

Not anyone can afford one high-end server, so they go for 2 small ones, that do better, so vBulletin totally can fit on them.
                          Last edited by t3nt3tion; Fri 29 Dec '06, 1:13pm.

Comment

Originally posted by TitanLive View Post
                            Well which one has more modifications and can support a large community smoothly. I know one of my friends has IPB 2.1.6 and 7,000+ active members with about 300 on at once and it goes slowly and sometimes says database error. And on our first day being opened were projected to hit 2,000 members.
                            vBulletin has much more add-ons and styles. Check out http://www.vbulletin.org which is the official resource which you get access o when you purchase a vBulletin license.

Comment

Originally posted by TitanLive View Post
                              If an active board is going slowly, it has more to do with the server specs than the actual board software. I'm a member of a very large vBulletin that is incredibly slow, but it's because of the hardware, and has very little to do with vB.
                              Forums

Comment

widgetinstance 262 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
                              Working...
                              X