Web db question..

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Web db question..

Hi all, I haven't yet purchased a vbulletin license (I aim to do so in the next week or so), so this is really just a preparatory question.

I have a business hosting package with 1and1 hosting. They have confirmed to me that vbulletin will succesfully install and run ok on what I have purchased.

On reading the first few pages of the online manual from vbulletin, it mentions that a database has to be set up on the server before installation begins.

Can anyone give me further information on this? Is there a thread related to specific pre-install db creation. I have better than average db appreciation and knowledge so I won't be completely swamped if I need to create something myself - just can't seem to find any resource about it.

thanks in advance,

v

I don't know the specifics of 1and1 hosting, but usually they give you a control panel from where you can add a new database. If the host confirms vb can run just fine, one could assume they realize it needs a mysql database and that they offer this service.

Comment

Yeah, they give a control panel which you can use to navigate around your space/tool etc etc..

I think I have just found the answer anyhows' !!... If I create just an empty database with no column names, during the install of vbulletin, will it specify column names and specific database parameters??

When I read that you needed to make your own db before installation, I was assuming that meant specifying size, field names, field properties etc etc - Does vbulletin do this providing you just give it any empty shell db ??

Hope this isn't too confusing - have a million questions rushing round me head!

thanks,

v

Comment

Create a database and make a note of the name. Then create a user with a password to use that database.

With some hosts, creating a database creates the name and users itself so again make a note of the information.

You don't have to adjust the size, etc. of the database. Just create one with a user and enter the info in the config.php file in vBulletin.
        [URL="http://www.aviationweb.net/"]Aviation Web[/URL="http://www.aviationweb.net/"]

Comment

Ok, thanks Neal.

I have created a db and called it "db_vbulletin". Is this a suitable name or shall I change it? Are there similarly named db's created when the instal script runs?

...just need to look at how to create a user on that db now.

thanks for info though,

cheers..

Comment

Originally posted by TGL_Velocity View Post
            Ok, thanks Neal.

I have created a db and called it "db_vbulletin". Is this a suitable name or shall I change it? Are there similarly named db's created when the instal script runs?

thanks for info though,

cheers..
            Doesn't really matter what the database is called, as long as you can remember it or write it down.

Comment

Originally posted by TGL_Velocity View Post
              Ok, thanks Neal.

thanks for info though,

cheers..
              The vBulletin install script will create any tables that are necessary. The only thing it cannot do is create the initial database and user. Once you do that, it'll take care of the rest.
              Jason Litka - Utter Ramblings

Comment

I suggest you do a search on these forums for '1and1'.
                Steve Machol, former vBulletin Customer Support Manager (and NOT retired!)
                Change CKEditor Colors to Match Style (for 4.1.4 and above)

Steve Machol Photography

Mankind is the only creature smart enough to know its own history, and dumb enough to ignore it.

Comment

1and1 inexplicably limits MySQL databases to 100MB. Even if you pay $50 a month for hosting with 10GB of webspace, your MySQL databases are still limited to 100MB. No serious web host has this kind of limitation.

This makes running a vBulletin forum, Joomla CMS, or any serious web application very difficult if your site gets popular. There are steps you can take to move certain things from the database into the file system, but eventually you will run out of room with 1and1. I know of no forums, photo galleries, CMS, portals, or other scripts which can bridge between multiple databases to get around this limitation.

I don't think they're the best. Just the best-advertised.

Comment

widgetinstance 262 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
                  Working...
                  X