Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Well, in my opinion, I have been getting quite accustomed to the IPB 2.2/2.1 style admin panel, and I gotta say, their admin panel is pretty well designed. Sure, your stuff isn't all in one big list, but I like the tabbed effect they've done there..

I hold a perpetual licence for IPB, and an owned license for vB, and as others have said in this thread, there's quite a few differences between the two. For both forum software, I've spent countless hours in the admin panel just skinning the forum. I like IPB's "Macro" setup they have, but with 2.2 and the tons of new images they've added, it seems like they didn't want to utilize that macro system for the new images. Also, IPB hasn't come out with a new GDK ever since IPB 2.0.0 FINAL was released, so that's way behind. vBulletin's template editor is quite easy to use, and the CSS editor is great. But I'm one of those people that would rather edit the raw css file right there.

As for skins and styles, vBulletin has a great resource at vb.org, whereas IPB, you gotta google around, and 9 times out of 10, the sites you DO find, just won't accept the average person's email address because they've either been spammed to death in the past, or hacked. I don't like that.

As far as features, I love IPB's editor and how it looks, but it's a tad image heavy. You can't even attach files to an IPB 2.2 board WITHOUT javascript enabled, which is also a bad point there. Polls in IPB 2.2 also require javascript. I absolutely love how vBulletin doesn't REQUIRE the use of javascript to navagate the forums. vBulletin knows that javascript simply isn't available to all users. IPB also has had to COMPRESS their javascript files, because of how excessive it is. Hell, I wonder how I even handled running a 2.1.7 board on dialup. *shrugs*

As far as modules and add-on scripts, IPB has quite a few handy ones, but 9 times out of 10, you're gonna end up having to purchase an additional license just for that module.

But in the end, it all boils down to user preference. I run my own site using vBulletin, and the hacks I got are pretty minimal, because vBulletin gives me just what I need. I run an IPB 2.2 for a friend's site, and it needed a few code hacks just to get some things working as needed.. (Try to get a PNG image to show up in the "Recent PMs tab" of that my assistant thingy without any source edits)

Well, I'm going to close this post with a thought. Reguarding Google Guru's comment on IPB's profile system. I, for one, love the new profiles IPB has introduced, BUT, IPB needs to do something about privacy. Lots of members don't like how all of a sudden, their contacts in their Personal Messenger address list, all of a sudden became "Friends", and that information is now displayed to the public for everyone to see. Myself, I would like to simply turn that off, but you simply can't, because the only options for it is to show 3, 5, or 10 friends in that block. Comments are the same way. Yea, I know, you can simply revert to the old profile view prior to 2.2, but then the profiles go back to something static and unused. I, for one, wouldn't blame it if Jelsoft actually "copies" that feature because of popular demand. iDunno, let's just leave it to fate and see what fate has in store for us.

Comment

I'm confused...

I see similar recent features in both vB & IPB...like Multi-Quote, Quote Tags Link to Quoted Post, Jumb to Page, Re-size Lager & Smaller, Switch Editor... etc.

Just wonder who created them first, and who stolen the ideas?
      Last edited by Mazinger; Sun 31 Dec '06, 2:10am.
      $post[signature]

Comment

I've reviewed both, vBulletin is better in my eyes, If you look at the plans of IPB:

Standered Licence:
        • 6 months support/upgrades
        • 30 days phone support
        • 2 business day ticket response -
        • 5 day major version upgrade turnaround
        • Minor version upgrade via easy upgrade pack
        • One active installation + one test installation
        • Optional 6 month renewal for $25
        $149.99 Personally I think that is a rip off. Plus you have to wait two whole days to get help? I think that is ridiculous.

Business License
        • 6 months support/upgrades
        • 6 months phone support
        • 1 business day ticket response
        • 3 day major version upgrade turnaround
        • 3 day minor version upgrade turnaround
        • One active installation + one test installation
        • Optional 6 month renewal for $50
        For 299.99 That is a major rip off, but you still have to wait a whole day to get help.

But lets look at vBulletin Prices:

vBulletin (Owned License)
        The owned vBulletin Forum license allows you to run the software on your site indefinitely. Along with this license, you will receive one year of free updates. Beyond the first year, you will have to pay a nominal fee, currently $30, to obtain updates for an additional year.

This license includes free support via email and on the community forum. Phone Support is not included in the license price but may be purchased for an additional cost either at the time of initial purchase, or afterwards through the Members' Area.$160.00 each
        That price compared to IPB is brilliant as for email support and stuff its almost instant help.

vBulletin (Leased License)
        The leased vBulletin Forum license allows you to use the software on your site for 1 year and gives you access to products updates for that year. After 1 year, you must renew your license or remove the software from your site.

This license includes free support via email and on the community forum. Phone Support is not included in the license price but may be purchased for an additional cost either at the time of initial purchase, or afterwards through the members' area.
        $85.00 each
        That price is also good, and also has almost instant support.

Ok now we got the prices compared lets look at the features..

IPB:
        Advanced Moderation Features

IP.Board gives you complete control over what tasks are delegated to your moderators, and they'll find the various moderation tools we've included indispensible!
        • Moderation queue
        • User warning system (updated)
        • User suspension controls
        • Topic/post multi-moderation

Community-driven user profiles

Improve and encourage user interaction, with the brand-new user profiles. Why should your users go elsewhere for their social-networking fix?
        • Personal profiles NEW!
        • Buddy lists NEW!
        • Comment within profiles NEW!
        • Rate users NEW!

It's extensible

Want to add your own features or integrate with your own software? IP.Board is highly extensible, so that with some programming skills, nearly anything is possible!
        • Components system
        • Active modification community
        • IP.Converge for 'single sign-on' between boards and even other software NEW!

Easy content sharing

IP.Board supports content-sharing standards right out of the box, making it simple to share your own content with others, or reuse content from elsewhere.
        • RSS export of any forum
        • Import RSS content as posts (updated)
        • Show content on your site with SSI
        • E-mail or print topics and posts

Powerful customization

Make your board stand out from the crowd, by customizing just about every aspect of it! IP.Board makes it an easy task with its built in customization tools.
        • Download pre-made skins for your board from our resource site
        • Powerful skin creator built in
        • Download and create language packs

Comprehensive Administration Panel

IP.Board has one of the most powerful Admin Panels in the industry - but it's still easy to use. Micro-manage every aspect of your board, or use default options - your choice!
        • Download pre-made skins for your board from our resource site
        • Powerful skin creator built in
        • Download and create language packs

vBulletin:
        General Features
        • Scalable solution - database server and web servers can reside on separate machines.
        • MySQL back-end database
        • vBulletin can be run on any machine that can support PHP and MySQL (Solaris, BSD, Linux, Windows, Mac)
        • Written in PHP which makes for a fast and efficient product
        • Admin Control Panel
        • Moderator Control Panel
        • User Control Panel
        • Compliant with the Children's Online Privacy Protection Act (COPPA) of 1998. See this page for more information: http://www.ftc.gov/bcp/conline/pubs/buspubs/coppa.htm
        General Forum Features Threads
        • Thread display options - sort by, sort order, from date
        • Thread and forum subscription (notification by email optional)
        • Thread preview on mouse-over (optional, via Admin CP)
        • Active Users viewing thread shown
        • New Post Indicator
        • Printer Friendly versions on threads
        • Admin tools for Threads - edit/delete/move/lock/Make sticky/ etc
        • Email page to a friend option
        • Similar Threads displayed on all thread views
        • Linear, Threaded, Hybrid display views available
        • Supports BB Code in posts
        • Supports HTML in post
        • Smilies
        • Optional WYSIWYG or standard editors for posts and Private Messages
        • Attachment images (.gif,.jpg, etc) are no longer in the database (optional, via Admin CP)
        • Quick reply box (with optional "forced" click on post to quote)
        • Preview post option
        • Post rating
        • User reputation
        • Polls
        • Post Reporting - report posts to moderators
        • User post count
        • Admin tools for Posts - edit/delete/move/ etc
        • Preview safe attachments
        Members
        • Member List
        • Member Search
        • User Style picker
        • Private Messaging
        • Buddy list
        • Member Birthdays shown on Forum home
        Calendar Features
        • Supports multiple private and public calendars
        • Viewable public and private events (adminCP option)
        • Weekly, monthly and yearly views
        • Jump to Today option
        • Add single, ranged or recurring events
        • Add all day events
        • Option to show calendar event on forum home page (adminCP option)
        • Show events to specific usergroups (adminCP option)
        • Calendar Moderation
        • Private events reminder
        • Ability to add custom fields
        General
        • Who's online
        • Search
        User Control Panel Features Editable user profile
        This information can be viewed by other members from the member list. Custom user title, URL home page, date of birth, instant messaging medium, location, occupation, biography, interests, vB version, plus any other custom user fields that may be defined by the administrator
        Profile pictures
        Allows members to upload pictures that can be viewed in the users' profile.
        Private Messaging
        • Pop-up notification when new PM received
        • Private Message Tracking
        • Private Message filing in custom folders
        User Options
        These include Daylight Savings options, forum style chooser, selection of notification types for PM, emails etc, thread display options, WYSIWYG editor options, language chooser, vCard downloads to allow the user profile to be placed into an address book
        Attachment Management
        • View attachment statistics - shows limit and used space
        • View the attachments you have posted (link or thumbnail views available)
        • Remove attachments
        • Admin Defined Avatars
        • Custom Avatars - upload from your own computer or specify a URL
        General
        • View and manage subscribed threads and forums
        • Calendar event reminders for subscribed events
        • Pop-up auto-refreshing buddylist with ICQ-style alerts when new buddies come online
        • Signature Editor
        • Email and password changes require current password
        • Joinable Public User Groups
        Admin Control Panel Features Styling & Templates
        • Templated system
        • Conditionals supported in the templates
        • Ability to create multiple styles which can be applied to different forums and users
        • Ability to upload / download styles and languages
        Language & Phrase Management
        • Language manager - allows you to easily translate your forums in any language
        • Multiple languages supported
        • Phrase manager
        Users & Usergroups
        • User registration options
        • User banning (by name & IP)
        • Global ignore user aka 'Tachy goes to Coventry' - when enabled all posts by the specified user will be ignored/unseen by other members. Automatically added to the all users ignore lists
        • Unlimited Moderators and SuperModerators
        • Permission system, based on user, usergroup or forums
        Board Maintenance
        • Task Scheduler
        • Control Panel, Moderator & Task logs
        • Board statistics
        • Maintentance - Database backups, table repair
        • Post Prunning
        Moderation
        • Moderation queues for user registration and posting
        • Calendar moderation
        Import Facility
        • Import facility - import posts and members seamlessly upgrade from other bulletin board systems, including Infopop's Ultimate Bulletin Board, UBBThreads, OpenTopic, ezboard, and Ikonboard
        Attachments
        • Multiple attachments and types (types defined by admin in CP)
        • Attachment thumbnails (requires PHP to have GD enabled)
        • Storage type options for attachements (database or file system)
        • Attachment moderation
        General
        • Multiple calendars supported
        • Paid Subscriptions (PayPal, WorldPay, NOCHEX and Authorize.net)
        • Private forums
        • COPPA compliant
        • Server Settings and Optimisation options configurable via the adminCP
        • Editable FAQ for your own boards
        • Context sensitive help throughout the adminCP
        IPB May look like it has "Better" Or "More" features but when you actually use it, It's not as good as it sounds as for vBulletin they are true to their word, I'm not saying they don't have the features just saying there not as good .

I've used:
        IPB 1.3/.1 IPB 2.0.x IPB 2.1 to 2.1.4, IPB 2.2, vB 3.5.4 to 3.6.4.

Thats all from me Hope this helps.

Comment

Originally posted by boochkn View Post
          I am brand new and would like opinions on how vBulletin compares to IPB ver. 1.3 Also, how would one convert?
          It's awesome, and I am absolutely unbiased on this. I develop scripts myself so will ignore the cost of the script, it is WELL worth the money.
          Cantufind
          The Orange Pages

Comment

Originally posted by Mazinger View Post
            I'm confused...

I see similar recent features in both vB & IPB...like Multi-Quote, Quote Tags Link to Quoted Post, Jumb to Page, Re-size Lager & Smaller, Switch Editor... etc.

Just wonder who created them first, and who stolen the ideas?
            Do any one know?
            $post[signature]

Comment

Originally posted by Mazinger View Post
              Do any one know?
              I know vBulletin had Switch Editor first. Becuase I use it all the time, and when I bought an IPB license (IPB 2.1.4), it didn't include switch editor. But the new version (2.2.x) does include switch editor.

Multi-Quote - I can't be certain on that one, I think IPS had that first.

I'm not sure on the others though.
              Armored Vehicles . My Blog . Obama 2012 .

Comment

Most features are not started on either software but rather on the smaller 'home grown' solutions out there.

Users then see them in use in other places and request them, or create their own addons/mods/etc and the software company sees a larger request and soon complies.

I was a fan of Matt's work before it became commercial, iB (ikonboard) was the first BB I ever used and 'modded'.

Comment

Originally posted by JakeS View Post
                  ~SNIP~

IPB May look like it has "Better" Or "More" features but when you actually use it, It's not as good as it sounds as for vBulletin they are true to their word, I'm not saying they don't have the features just saying there not as good .

I've used:
                  IPB 1.3/.1 IPB 2.0.x IPB 2.1 to 2.1.4, IPB 2.2, vB 3.5.4 to 3.6.4.

Thats all from me Hope this helps.
                  This makes absolutely no sense. Either it does or it doesn't have more features. Then you say you aren't saying it doesn't have the features, you're just saying they aren't as good. Again, that makes no sense. If they have the same features, it means just that, they are the same and work in the same manner. Sounds to me like you have little to no experience with IPB regardless of what you have said.

For example I prefer IPB's post editing system. I can choose between quick edit or full edit right away. VB on the other hand has this odd (i.e. makes no sense and is unintuitive) way of forcing you to choose quick edit, THEN have to choose Full edit just to get to the full edit option. Why isn't that an immediate option? Makes zero sense.

I know some people point out that VB has a plug-in system so you don't have to do all kinds of file edits and you can add what you want. But common sense dictates something like that will likely be coming soon for IPB. And whats to say it won't be integrated better? Being first doesn't always mean its being done best. VB and IPB have proven that if its a popular enough feature on another forum, it will likely make its way into their software soon enough. If you were to compare who had what first between the 2, it would likely almost be a tie. They have 'borrowed' from each other alot.

Server resource use is another thing. I've used both VB and IPB on the same server with the same # of people, posts, etc. VB was more server resource intensive. When I converted to IPB, I noticed a noticeable drop in those resources. What I also like is how when I do an sql backup from the admincp, I can have the file gzipped. My 175 MB sql files end up being around 35MB to download. I also well prefer IPB's admincp and new security features over VB's.

Things like this just end up being a pissing contest. There are people that use SMF, PHPBB, and numerous other free forum software. It works best for them and their members and thats what matters. The ONLY reason people compare IPB and VB isn't just because of price, but because of how similar they really are. IPB has some very nice things VB doesn't have and vice versa.

And how much you wanna bet, an upcoming version of VB will have some sort of new profile system similar to IPB's and an overhauled Admin CP. Wouldn't be suprised to see something at least in the same vein. Common Sense dictates.

I'm not a fan of IPB's pricing structure, but at least you aren't being forced into paying for support unless you need it. The $299 price is a business license. Like I said previously, both IPB and VB are based out of Great Britain. I would love to compare both of their sales figures and see if the prices matter as much as some people think they might.

Either way, use what you feel is best for you, your members, and your forum. Like has been stated, look for less biased opinions elsewhere.

Comment

As a user, I prefer vBulletin. The thread description field is so stupid. If someone wants to create a thread about New Year's Day, they would usually do this:
                    Thread Title: New Year's
                    Thread Description: Day
                    It annoys me so much. I refuse to write thread descriptions. Why do threads have to have a description? Useless feature. One day I decided to count the number of threads with useful descriptions in a board where I go often and I couldn't find one!
                    In that board, the threads I read aren't always marked as read and I often think a thread has new messages when in fact I have already read all of them. I don't know whose fault it is, but it's a serious usability bug.
                    In vBulletin, if a user has chosen a bad title for a thread, it's easy to see what it is about because if you place your mouse over the thread title, the first words of the first message appear in a tooltip. Immensely useful. Invision Board doesn't have this feature. Instead you have to rely on the stupid thread description. :P
                    Ultraviolet - Brazilian U2 forum

Comment

also try to post while screen resolution 600*800...

you will find the emoticons table above post message table.
                      $post[signature]

Comment

Originally posted by whitetigergrowl View Post
                        For example I prefer IPB's post editing system. I can choose between quick edit or full edit right away. VB on the other hand has this odd (i.e. makes no sense and is unintuitive) way of forcing you to choose quick edit, THEN have to choose Full edit just to get to the full edit option. Why isn't that an immediate option? Makes zero sense.
                        i think quick edit as defaul is better...as you usually need to edit your post to fix a typo or add a link, image... etc...

you don't usually need go to full edit in a new page unless you want to add attachements, or add codes...

so it with quick reply, full reply

what IP is better than vBulletin in, i think you can add emoticons in quick reply/edit... in vbulletin you can't.
                        Last edited by Mazinger; Sun 31 Dec '06, 8:52am.
                        $post[signature]

Comment

Originally posted by Mirrorball View Post
                          As a user, I prefer vBulletin. The thread description field is so stupid. If someone wants to create a thread about New Year's Day, they would usually do this:
                          Thread Title: New Year's
                          Thread Description: Day
                          It annoys me so much. I refuse to write thread descriptions. Why do threads have to have a description? Useless feature. One day I decided to count the number of threads with useful descriptions in a board where I go often and I couldn't find one!
                          In that board, the threads I read aren't always marked as read and I often think a thread has new messages when in fact I have already read all of them. I don't know whose fault it is, but it's a serious usability bug.
                          In vBulletin, if a user has chosen a bad title for a thread, it's easy to see what it is about because if you place your mouse over the thread title, the first words of the first message appear in a tooltip. Immensely useful. Invision Board doesn't have this feature. Instead you have to rely on the stupid thread description. :P
                          Yes, because we all know that with IP.Board, it's impossible to disable topic descriptions and mods for topic previews on mouseover simply don't exist. If topic descriptions are such a stupid idea, as you claim, then why have they been requested on vBulletin.org several times in the past?
                          Forums

Comment

I have a license for both IP.Board/IP.Blog and also vBulletin. I personally like the plugin system and styling better in vB then in IPB. But, I like the more community feel that IPB has, specially with the new profiling system.

I think IPB is starting to aim more to companies and businesses, while vB is still kind of directed to new forum owners, personal communities, etc.
                            [ http://eternal-realm.net ]

Comment

I'm sure you can mod phpBB to do everything that vBulletin and IPB do. That's not the point. And I'm not responsible for what other people have requested. I certainly didn't request topic descriptions and I can only be thankful that vB developers have not listened to their requests. In the IPB forum I go to, if I were the administrator, I would have certainly disabled topic descriptions. The problem is that I'm just a user.

I don't like IPB's profiling system. I want people to discuss a specific subject, not to blog about their uninteresting lives. I don't want anyone to become a member to have a page without being interested in my forum's main purpose. But that's me, I don't make money off my community.

By the way, I think topic ratings in vB are pretty stupid and I have disabled it in my forum. Fortunately it doesn't bother me when it's enabled.
                              Ultraviolet - Brazilian U2 forum

Comment

Originally posted by Mirrorball View Post
                                I don't like IPB's profiling system. I want people to discuss a specific subject, not to blog about their uninteresting lives. I don't want anyone to become a member to have a page without being interested in my forum's main purpose. But that's me, I don't make money off my community.
                                The same here.

I think topic ratings in vB are pretty stupid.
                                How is that?
                                $post[signature]

Comment

widgetinstance 262 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
                                Working...
                                X