Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

V-Bulletin vs. IPB

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • #16
    I made a mistake. Long time vB user, I some how convinced myself that IPB was better, so I purchased a IPB lifetime license. But, in one word, support. When IPB removed support from the forums and you had to dick around with submitting a ticket, I decided it was time to switch back to vB. It's simple, you ask a question or have a problem and post on the vB forums, you get answers. With IPB it takes days, weeks, months to get answers. That's enough for me.

    Code, I can get my way around. So, I'm not sure who's is better. I do know that vB.org is one of the best modding sites around. IPB has nothing even close. And skins? Forget about it. More, more and more for vB than IPB could ever dream about. Just my experience, your mileage may vary.

    Comment


    • #17
      Originally posted by Smoothie View Post
      I made a mistake. Long time vB user, I some how convinced myself that IPB was better, so I purchased a IPB lifetime license. But, in one word, support. When IPB removed support from the forums and you had to dick around with submitting a ticket, I decided it was time to switch back to vB. It's simple, you ask a question or have a problem and post on the vB forums, you get answers. With IPB it takes days, weeks, months to get answers. That's enough for me.

      Code, I can get my way around. So, I'm not sure who's is better. I do know that vB.org is one of the best modding sites around. IPB has nothing even close. And skins? Forget about it. More, more and more for vB than IPB could ever dream about. Just my experience, your mileage may vary.
      Actually, IP.Board has several popular sites dedicated to modifying the visual source, including IPS Beyond, Invisionize and Invision Modding. All three are comparable to vBulletin.org in that all the aforementioned sites offer hacks and skins for their respective bulletin board system. Although it's true that vB does have more styles available, if only because vB has been around longer than IP.Board has.
      Forums

      Comment


      • #18
        I know IPB's modding sites, all of them. I'm a member at those sites. I used IPB for 2 years, and they in no way compare to vB.org. All of them combined.

        Comment


        • #19
          Originally posted by boochkn View Post
          Wow! Thanks for all the fast replies.

          I am going to have to consider what I need to do.

          I have had Zero problems in the past 4 years or so of running IPB...would be nice to upgrade but it's been running fine and I have even found mods that I have had zero problems installing. I have a very limited coding background but it's been enough to keep me from ever considering contacting the support for IPB.

          That being said, I like how refined the later versions of IPB and vBulletin have become...not being one to sit and tweak for weeks and weeks (not to mention I am not a great PHP guy) I really think I would be ok just getting the newer version without any support...but then if I have to buy a license to access the migration program then I will have to contemplate the next step.
          If you have had no outstanding issues with IP.Board, I see little reason to change. I am in no way saying that vB is not worth the investment, but you should really be sure to fully test vB, IP.Board and any other BBS before considering a migration or a new financial investment. After testing, you may very well prefer vB, because of its wealth of features and thorough documentation, or you may completely hate everything about it.
          Originally posted by AlexndR View Post
          An example is the Card feature, which was great, but they removed it because they think it is "unneeded" but some people might think it is useful and might wanna use it. Also I don't like IPB's new style, their attitude.
          vBulletin is better, that's it. I know lots about forums, and that is what I know after I have checked both of them. Al thought IPB's default style is kinda nice but I know you can skin vBulletin more easily, and IPB styles looks too much like eachother. I prefer vBulletin.
          Styles and skins have absolutely nothing to do with the board software, and everything to do with those reponsible for creating the styles and skins. I've seen plenty of vB, IP.Board, phpBB, etc. styles and skins that look like each other, that are highly unoriginal, etc. And then I've seen many others that are incredibly unique and have a very admirable design. Although I do feel that it is easier to modify vBulletin styles, because vB uses live preview within the Style Manager of the ACP, something that I wish that IPS would adopt in future versions of IP.Board.
          Forums

          Comment


          • #20
            Originally posted by Smoothie View Post
            I know IPB's modding sites, all of them. I'm a member at those sites. I used IPB for 2 years, and they in no way compare to vB.org. All of them combined.
            There are hundreds of modding sites for vB and IP.Board. Are you really a member at every single one?
            Forums

            Comment


            • #21
              The whole new profile look thing of Invision Power Board is horrible. Looks more like MySpace with last visitors, comments, friends, etc. Seriously, people want more features that make a forum more usable, not to have their own myspace. Seriously, I've been a long time fan of IP.Board, having my own yearly license before they screwed up everything with the removal of support in the forums, creation of IPS Beyond and the new personal and business license types. Now I am just running phpBB until my forum gets larger and I will purchase a vBulletin license then.

              Comment


              • #22
                Originally posted by Google Guru View Post
                The whole new profile look thing of Invision Power Board is horrible. Looks more like MySpace with last visitors, comments, friends, etc. Seriously, people want more features that make a forum more usable, not to have their own myspace. Seriously, I've been a long time fan of IP.Board, having my own yearly license before they screwed up everything with the removal of support in the forums, creation of IPS Beyond and the new personal and business license types. Now I am just running phpBB until my forum gets larger and I will purchase a vBulletin license then.
                You are able to turn off the personal profile settings and use a classic profile design. And the new licensing scheme for IP.Board is better for current customers, as it becomes cheaper in the long run. As for new customers, IP.Board certainly is a bit more expensive than vBulletin, although "you get what you pay for."
                Last edited by Quillz; Sat 17 Feb '07, 9:14pm. Reason: Fixed the small typo!
                Forums

                Comment


                • #23
                  Don't choose IPB. They are just bad, unfair, support is bad and slow.

                  BTW, Quills it looks like you like IPB more than vBulletin, but you can like whatever you want.

                  Comment


                  • #24
                    Originally posted by Quillz View Post
                    IP.Board certainly is a bit more expensive than vBulletin, although "you get what you pay for."
                    That isn’t necessarily true in all cases and the IPB pricing scheme is proof of that. IPB in the eyes, minds of the majority of forum users and administrators is 2nd best and at times it is even considered 3rd best – behind PHPBB.

                    As a former license holder of IPB, I have to say it lacked and the latest version I tried was 2.2, reminds me more of how not to create a forum software package.

                    With VBulletin, you do get what you pay for & that being a high quality (the highest quality) discussion board.

                    Comment


                    • #25
                      Originally posted by Discussions View Post
                      That isn’t necessarily true in all cases and the IPB pricing scheme is proof of that. IPB in the eyes, minds of the majority of forum users and administrators is 2nd best and at times it is even considered 3rd best – behind PHPBB.

                      As a former license holder of IPB, I have to say it lacked and the latest version I tried was 2.2, reminds me more of how not to create a forum software package.

                      With VBulletin, you do get what you pay for & that being a high quality (the highest quality) discussion board.
                      I agree, vBulletin is much better.
                      Read my post here: http://www.vbulletin.com/forum/showthread.php?t=214156
                      Last edited by AlexndR; Fri 29 Dec '06, 11:00am.

                      Comment


                      • #26
                        Originally posted by AlexndR View Post
                        Don't choose IPB. They are just bad, unfair, support is bad and slow.

                        BTW, Quills it looks like you like IPB more than vBulletin, but you can like whatever you want.
                        Actually, while I use IP.Board on my own live board, I own licenses to both vB and IP.Board, and use vB for an intranet board that I manage. I try to be as fair as possible when evaluating both solutions. Yes, I'm on Jelsoft's board, but no, I will not blindly say that vB is the uber best!!!!!!!!!1111!!!11+shift!

                        With that said, exactly what makes IPB "bad?" I don't find IPS to be unfair, just because they have different business tactics from Jelsoft. While I agree that having a pre-sales forum is a better solution than relying entirely on e-mail, it really comes down to what works best for each company. I do agree their support is not as good as Jelsoft's though, but like anything, things take time. Jelsoft has been consistent with their company since their beginning, whereas IPS has changed a few times.
                        Forums

                        Comment


                        • #27
                          Originally posted by Google Guru View Post
                          The whole new profile look thing of Invision Power Board is horrible. Looks more like MySpace with last visitors, comments, friends, etc. Seriously, people want more features that make a forum more usable, not to have their own myspace. Seriously, I've been a long time fan of IP.Board, having my own yearly license before they screwed up everything with the removal of support in the forums, creation of IPS Beyond and the new personal and business license types. Now I am just running phpBB until my forum gets larger and I will purchase a vBulletin license then.
                          Simply not true. Just because your forum may not need those features doesn't mean another forum doesn't. Its natural progression and its highly likely we will see something similar with an upcoming Vbulletin upgrade. Having such features helps enhance the community and community feel. Why do you think that websites like Facebook and Myspace are doing so well? Community. It gives people their own identity, which on forums at the moment is a rather limiting thing. Why have member profiles if all they are there for is looks? Why not make them more interactive? IMO IPB 2.2 took the next logical step with the profile system. How much do you wanna bet VB and others will be following suit at some point.

                          Don't choose IPB. They are just bad, unfair, support is bad and slow.

                          BTW, Quills it looks like you like IPB more than vBulletin, but you can like whatever you want.
                          Thats your opinion. I'm just curious what experience you have with them. Lets put it this way. If they were that bad and that unfair, people wouldn't be comparing VB to IPB so much now would they? Both forum software and those in charge of it and the respective forums have their strengths and weaknesses. It doesn't mean one is necessarily better than another. And considering how young IPB is compared to VB, and how often the 2 get compared...it looks to me like IPB is doing well. Both are based out of Great Britain. I'm curious which forum software company makes the most money. That would help tell some tales I'm sure. Just look at their incomes.

                          But I digress.

                          I know IPB's modding sites, all of them. I'm a member at those sites. I used IPB for 2 years, and they in no way compare to vB.org. All of them combined.
                          Why stop there? How do they not compare..combined.

                          Crap like this comes down to ideals. IMO its a childish mentality. If you don't pick a side, then that must automatically mean you are sided with the 'enemy'. Thats the largest line of bull.

                          There are many people here and at the IPS forums that have BOTH VB and IPB licenses. I've tried both IPB and VB forum software out with my members. They prefer and love IPB 2.2 and especially the new profile system which they have been using insanely alot. Whereas before they had no reason to look at profiles since they were so static and unexciting and uninteractive. But that doesn't make VB any less. I could start up a new site aimed at a different demographic and get people that prefer VB over IPB.

                          IPB is aimed at a different demographic than VB is. IPB is seemingly more for those that prefer a more advanced system. Where as VB is more simple. They both can be tailored to suit a persons needs through template edits and hacks.

                          In my experience, vBulletin is certainly easier to maintain with added mods through the product / plugin system. I used ipb and remember wading through lines of code modifications to do the simplest things and eventually got fed up. Also if you use a unique design in my own opinion it is much more difficult to convert your skin with each upgrade as ipb tends to change dramatically in that area frequently. Of course both systems are great at what they do and it boils down to personal preference. Try asking opinions outside a vbulletin or invision forum though for more balanced views.
                          The plug-in system is nice. However the thing about many mods is they add to the number of queries on a site. And its possible some sort of plug-in system or something similar could be coming for IPB 3.0. IPB borrows from VB and vice versa. So its not out of the question. Remember, before VB 3.5, you needed to hack the code too. So this is still relatively new to VB as well. VB plays catch up on some things with IPB and IPB plays catch up on some things with VB.

                          But I agree. It boils down to personal preference and what you feel would be best for your site and your members. Both have come along way. And both are great forum software. Thus why many have licenses for BOTH boards.

                          But yes, definetly get several other opinions on less biased sites.

                          Comment


                          • #28
                            I prefer to surf on vbulletin forums than on IPB forums. User experience is maybe the most important thing if you are considering buying forum software.

                            Comment


                            • #29
                              Originally posted by whitetigergrowl View Post
                              Simply not true. Just because your forum may not need those features doesn't mean another forum doesn't. Its natural progression and its highly likely we will see something similar with an upcoming Vbulletin upgrade. ....
                              .....But yes, definetly get several other opinions on less biased sites.
                              Thanks, that's probably the best unbiased thing I have read. I was starting to wonder about all the people that say they have liceses to both...could be they bought one lifetime and then switched and it could mean that the two products are so close to each other that it may not really matter all that much which one you use as long as you become intimately familiar with it enough to utilize it's potential. I have been using v 1.3 for the simple fact that I built the forum for my personal group of friends and me to use without any plans for eventual public interest and as far as I remember the IPB I installed was free indefinitely as long as I didn't remove the 'powered by...' copyright...now I am wondering if that is still the case considering the changes IPB has apparently made (I have been off in limbo just working with my forum and not paying attention to the upgrades..etc.)

                              Does anyone know if I am still 'legal'?

                              Comment


                              • #30
                                Yes you are still legal as long as the copyright isn't removed.

                                IMO they are close. Like anything each one has its pluses and minuses. However you are right. It all depends on how each person utilizes the most out of their forum software. Honestly, the forum software is only as good as the person using it. If your skins suck, your forums/topics/posts aren't interesting, members aren't active, etc. it won't matter WHAT forum software you are using. Some like IPB...some like VB. But if they really like your community they usually stay no matter what and will grow accustomed to what there is to offer.

                                Comment

                                widgetinstance 262 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
                                Working...
                                X