Please Help

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Please Help

I have a message board at proboards right now and would like to graduate to vbulletin. I am wondering since I do not have computer programming skills, should a beginner like myself even dare venture into setting up a vbulletin board? I know I need to register a domain name along with findng a host but I am not experienced in this kind of thing. I have done alot of reading on this board and other boards but when it comes to all the computer tech talk, I'm really lost . Any suggestions, ideas for a novice?

Setting up a Vbulletin forum is quite easy, even for the beginner. No programming skills are required, just follow the easy to read instructions and you will be up and running in less than 10 minutes.

The only part of the file you will need to configure would be the Configuration file, which would require your database name, user name and password for that database.

Comment

If that is all I have to do then I should not have any trouble. But I'm not sure about the hosting part. I don't know how much space I would need. I have a makeup board and we post alot of pics, so I am assuming that alone will use alot of space. I feel like a complete idiot asking questions like this but I just don't want to mess up.

Comment

It is not easy to predict the amount of space you will need. Obviously attachments are very likely to take up a lot more space then posts.
        Want to take your board beyond the standard vBulletin features?
        Visit the official Member to Member support site for vBulletin Modifications: www.vbulletin.org

Comment

Right now I have 130 members with over 17,600 posts since April. It probably would become more active if it were user friendly and if you could find it by googling it. I don't know what to start off with or what host to use for this size of board. I need some input if anyone would care to help me out.

Comment

In case you haven't found this information yet, it is NOT POSSIBLE to import your data from ProBoards into vBulletin.

ProBoards is running [strike_temp]phpBB[/strike_temp] modified YaBB software, but they keep the data locked up on their servers and will not give you the data no matter how much money you offer them. The only "free/hosted" web forum that lets you buy your way out is InvisionFree.

vBulletin does have an importer for EZBoard which essentially "harvests" the data by going from page to page, downloading all the data.

Maybe they can be convinced to write a harvester for ProBoards if enough people ask in this thread. Inexplicably, only licensed vBulletin customers were able to vote (and I'm guessing post?) in that thread until last week, so certain forums may be underreported.
            Last edited by feldon23; Sat 16 Dec '06, 2:39pm.

Comment

Originally posted by feldon23 View Post
              In case you haven't found this information yet, it is NOT POSSIBLE to import your data from ProBoards into vBulletin.

ProBoards is running phpBB, but they keep the data locked up on their servers and will not give you the data no matter how much money you offer them. The only "free/hosted" web forum that lets you buy your way out is InvisionFree.

vBulletin does have an importer for EZBoard which essentially "harvests" the data by going from page to page, downloading all the data.

Maybe they can be convinced to write a harvester for ProBoards if enough people ask in this thread. Inexplicably, only licensed vBulletin customers were able to vote (and I'm guessing post?) in that thread until last week, so certain forums may be underreported.
              Actually, ProBoards uses a heavily modified YaBB source code.
              Forums

Comment

Here's a list of users over the last 3 years who would have benefitted from a ProBoards -> vBulletin importer:

CommanderDEUX
                SimplyCharmed
                letsconnect
                vivebeauty
                Rob B
                GodDesS tuTu
                dontbugme
                IdealMinds
                Mac Write
                baki
                civileng68
                lenny1220
                smokyeyes

Comment

ProBoards is running [strike_temp]phpBB[/strike_temp] modified YaBB software, but they keep the data locked up on their servers and will not give you the data no matter how much money you offer them. The only "free/hosted" web forum that lets you buy your way out is InvisionFree.

Yes I new about not being able to transfer all data to new board. But I was told I could copy/paste, which would take me a very long time to do. Don't know if I am up for that. I hate to have to lose it all but I have no other choice. Right now I just need to find a good host that is not going to cost me an arm and a leg.
                  Last edited by smokyeyes; Sun 17 Dec '06, 5:15am.

Comment

Here's a list of users over the last 3 years who would have benefitted from a ProBoards -> vBulletin importer:

CommanderDEUX
                    SimplyCharmed
                    letsconnect
                    vivebeauty
                    Rob B
                    GodDesS tuTu
                    dontbugme
                    IdealMinds
                    Mac Write
                    baki
                    civileng68
                    lenny1220
                    smokyeyes
                    You can add me to this list as well, as I had my original board on ProBoards, but had to start over anew when I used IPB and vB.
                    Forums

Comment

Ok I am pretty sure I am going to purchase VB. My next step would be what, finding a good host? What do I look for? What does a message board need? Sorry to sound spacey but I just don't have a clue.

Comment

You'll need a host that supports newer versions of PHP and MySQL, which most good hosts do.

I recommend you have a look in our 'Hosting Options' forum, or on webhostingtalk.com for help with finding a host.
                        Best Regards
                        Colin Frei

Please don't contact me per PM.

Comment

Thanks Colin, I have spent the whole weekend on webhostingtalk.com reading the different reviews/opinions. It seems like everyone has something good/bad to say about each one. Makes it hard for us newbies to decide.

Comment

I would look for predominant positives, not a lot of "this host oversells in a bad way" and make sure there are no unresolved "this forum sucks" threads. Bad hosts are easier to find than good hosts.

Comment

widgetinstance 262 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
                            Working...
                            X