X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Bob H
    replied
    That is a shame.

Well, I guess we'll see what happens when the phpBB people roll out phpBB 3.0. It looks like that might address the weaknesses that has caused me to consider vBulletin. But it is tough to know when phpBB 3.0 will roll out. They are up to Beta 4, which sounds like they might be close, but there is no way to tell if they are close or not unless you are on the inside, which I am not.

I would be willing to pay $160 per installation for an obviously superior product. Actually, I have 50 installations. So that would be 50 * 160 (or whatever the quantity price is). But I am not willing to do so for an inferior product, and at this point I am not convinced that vBulletin is superior.

After a superficial investigation of features that I want, which are available in the current version of phpBB, vBulletin does not provide them, yet. And the product support people look like they want more money if they are going to provide them. What are they? Well, avatars for one. Another is url naming tactics that enable search engine optimization. The fact that vBulletin is trying to nickel and dime their customers out of more money is a bad sign.

It looks like I am not going to switch to vBulletin right now, which probably means that it will never happen, because as Steve Machol has just indicated, there is no way to port the old directory structure to a vBulletin installation.

It looks like vBulletin is not as good as I was lead to believe. But, who knows with the release of phpBB 3.0, perhaps vBulletin will respond to market pressures and they deliver a better product that addresses my concerns.

Leave a comment:

• Steve Machol
    replied
    No sorry. There is no way to keop the same URLs after importing.

Leave a comment:

• Bob H
    started a topic transforming phpBB forums to VBulletin

transforming phpBB forums to VBulletin

If I port a forum from phpBB to vBulletin, will the current forums, topics, and categories have the same url under vBulletin as they did under phpBB? I am using an SEO mod that transforms urls with url variables to urls that have directories. The mod uses .htaccess and modifications to the phpBB php code to accomplish this.

Will a vBulletin board forum have a totally different directory structure thus losing PR values that have been built up since the forums inception?
widgetinstance 262 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
Working...
X