transforming phpBB forums to VBulletin

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Bob H View Post
    Marco, you tell me, what is missing in Avatar support that would justify the existance of an add-on that the customer has to BUY from a third party?
    There is nothing missing from the Avatar feature as far as I am concerned. It does everything that a site administrator or user could want. I'm also not aware of any add-on avatar features that you can buy? There are many add-ons for vBulletin. Their existance is not a sign of weakness of the product. Otherwise, what would it say about phpBB that you need to install over 50 add-ons (which exponentially increase the difficulty of software upgrades) just to get anywhere near the functionality of vBulletin?
    Last edited by feldon23; Sat 16 Dec '06, 1:56pm.

Comment

Let's cut through the chase. Do you or do you not have this feature? If you have it, where is it documented? Remember the basis for the question, I want to be a customer. I don't want to be your enemy. That is not my purpose.
      vBulletin doesn't have SEO URLs out of the box anymore than phpBB does.

I assure you that the SEO add-on for vBulletin is a lot easier to get working than the add-on for phpBB.
      Providing a customer with a convenient migration path is a tactic used by many software/hardware/(and many other product and service) vendors in the past. As a matter of fact that is how a business attracts their competitors' customers.

Does vBulletin not understand that? How basic of a business practice is that? Why do I have explain something so obvious?
      The performance overhead of trying to emulate someone else's URL structure would make vBulletin a poor upgrade choice and would create a lot of roadblocks for you in the future. There is nothing "obvious" or a good "business practice" about permanently implementing a kludge like you're talking about.

The only reasonable solution to upgrading from one forum software to another would be to have a proper .htaccess file which tells the search engine how to find all the pages it has indexed with the correct redirects. Apache redirects are extremely powerful and are the correct way, according to Google, to migrate data without losing your PageRank values.

Comment

How easy it will be, depends on what you need to modify. Since vBulletin is using a Plugin system, it is often very easy to modify and maintain.

vBulletin Styles can easily be modified to your needs.
        Want to take your board beyond the standard vBulletin features?
        Visit the official Member to Member support site for vBulletin Modifications: www.vbulletin.org

Comment

widgetinstance 262 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
        Working...
        X