transforming phpBB forums to VBulletin

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• transforming phpBB forums to VBulletin

If I port a forum from phpBB to vBulletin, will the current forums, topics, and categories have the same url under vBulletin as they did under phpBB? I am using an SEO mod that transforms urls with url variables to urls that have directories. The mod uses .htaccess and modifications to the phpBB php code to accomplish this.

Will a vBulletin board forum have a totally different directory structure thus losing PR values that have been built up since the forums inception?

No sorry. There is no way to keop the same URLs after importing.
    Steve Machol, former vBulletin Customer Support Manager (and NOT retired!)
    Change CKEditor Colors to Match Style (for 4.1.4 and above)

Steve Machol Photography

Mankind is the only creature smart enough to know its own history, and dumb enough to ignore it.

Comment

That is a shame.

Well, I guess we'll see what happens when the phpBB people roll out phpBB 3.0. It looks like that might address the weaknesses that has caused me to consider vBulletin. But it is tough to know when phpBB 3.0 will roll out. They are up to Beta 4, which sounds like they might be close, but there is no way to tell if they are close or not unless you are on the inside, which I am not.

I would be willing to pay $160 per installation for an obviously superior product. Actually, I have 50 installations. So that would be 50 * 160 (or whatever the quantity price is). But I am not willing to do so for an inferior product, and at this point I am not convinced that vBulletin is superior.

After a superficial investigation of features that I want, which are available in the current version of phpBB, vBulletin does not provide them, yet. And the product support people look like they want more money if they are going to provide them. What are they? Well, avatars for one. Another is url naming tactics that enable search engine optimization. The fact that vBulletin is trying to nickel and dime their customers out of more money is a bad sign.

It looks like I am not going to switch to vBulletin right now, which probably means that it will never happen, because as Steve Machol has just indicated, there is no way to port the old directory structure to a vBulletin installation.

It looks like vBulletin is not as good as I was lead to believe. But, who knows with the release of phpBB 3.0, perhaps vBulletin will respond to market pressures and they deliver a better product that addresses my concerns.

Comment

Sorry to hear that. It's a shame you believe vBulletin is inferior, because that points out you obviously haven't done your research. And good luck with phpBB. I just hope your forum doesn't grow too big because you'll be in a world of hurt with phpBB and its lack of scalability.

Comment

Originally posted by Dilly View Post
          Sorry to hear that. It's a shame you believe vBulletin is inferior, because that points out you obviously haven't done your research. And good luck with phpBB. I just hope your forum doesn't grow too big because you'll be in a world of hurt with phpBB and its lack of scalability.
          Dilly, thanks for your post! Actually, I hope that they do grow! I want them to grow so big that they challenge the scalability of the whole internet.

Do you know at what point scalablity is challenged?

If you reread my post, I think that you will see that I mentioned that my investigation is superficial. But even in that superficial investigation, I see a lot of danger signs. One is that you have to buy an add-on for avatar support. Avatar support would seem to be a fundamental feature. If you have to buy avatar support, what other problems are out there lurking that has to be solved with another add-on?

<Error correction>
          I have made an error, and it seems that the proper place to conceed the error is the initial point in which I made the error. Avatar support does **NOT** require the purchase of an add-on. I wish to thank Marco van Herwaarden for correcting me. I stand corrected.
          </Error correction>

Nickel and diming the existing customer base is sort of cheesy, but that is not my biggest concern. I have to buy >50 licenses, so you have to multiply the price of these add-ons by 50. Second, undoubtedly some of these add-on merchants are going to figure out that they can make more money doing something else, which means that your add-on support goes away.

That begs the bigger question. If vBulletin is so great, why are they not providing these features to their customers anyway? It would seem that maybe vBulletin cannot afford to. If that is the case, what happens if vBulletin goes out of business? What happens to vBulletin support? That would go away too.

Like I said, these fundamental features that go unaddressed by vBulletin is a minor danger sign. The major danger sign is how they attempt to get others to address these problems.
          Last edited by Bob H; Sat 16 Dec '06, 7:51am. Reason: Correcting an error in fact that I made

Comment

And the product support people look like they want more money if they are going to provide them.
            The fact that vBulletin is trying to nickel and dime their customers out of more money is a bad sign.
            I don't know how you came to that conclusion. vBulletin has not raised it's pricing for many years now, even with all the new features that have been added over the years.
            Well, avatars for one.
            what do you feel is missing in our current Avatar options?
            Another is url naming tactics that enable search engine optimization.
            vBulletin gets perfectly indexed by all major search engines.
            because as Steve Machol has just indicated, there is no way to port the old directory structure to a vBulletin installation.
            It would be a strange thing for a product to try and reproduce the URL structure of a competitor. We do however provide a solution to redirect your old URL's (that might be followed from older indexed posts) to the new vBulletin URL's, see: External incoming links (please read on in this thread, it starts as a request)
            Want to take your board beyond the standard vBulletin features?
            Visit the official Member to Member support site for vBulletin Modifications: www.vbulletin.org

Comment

Originally posted by Marco van Herwaarden View Post
              what do you feel is missing in our current Avatar options?
              Marco, you tell me, what is missing in Avatar support that would justify the existance of an add-on that the customer has to BUY from a third party?

Comment

Sorry but i am not aware of any (commercial) add-on to our avatar system.

Also it is more important what you think that is missing.
                Visit the official Member to Member support site for vBulletin Modifications: www.vbulletin.org

Comment

vBulletin gets perfectly indexed by all major search engines
                  Again, Marco, being indexed is a small part of the problem. Getting PR properly calculated is another. This is not a feature that is dreamed up by some wild-eyed PR egghead. This is a feature that addresses a documented issue. This has been clearly documented by Google for years in many different contexts. If Google says we need it, as far as I am concerned we need it.

Again, why do you engage in the nebulous academic arguments? If you don't think we need the feature that is fine. You probably have some sound argument for a basis. The question is "Do you have the feature"?

Wayne earlier made the comment that you already have the feature, which is great! If you have the feature, where is it documented? And please, don't send me to some multi-page thread dialogue that vaguely addresses the issue. I would like documentation that is clear and specific.

Let's cut through the chase. Do you or do you not have this feature? If you have it, where is it documented? Remember the basis for the question, I want to be a customer. I don't want to be your enemy. That is not my purpose.

If you don't have the feature, I simply won't be your customer. That is not such a big loss for you. Perhaps later you decide to have the feature. Perhaps at that point, I will decide to be your customer. It's no big deal.

Comment

It would be a strange thing for a product to try and reproduce the URL structure of a competitor.
                    Providing a customer with a convenient migration path is a tactic used by many software/hardware/(and many other product and service) vendors in the past. As a matter of fact that is how a business attracts their competitors' customers.

Does vBulletin not understand that? How basic of a business practice is that? Why do I have explain something so obvious?

Comment

Sorry but i am not aware of any (commercial) add-on to our avatar system.

Also it is more important what you think that is missing.
                      If you are not using the avatar add-on in your forum, perhaps it is insignificant. Do you have a forum? If so, are avatars enabled without the purchase of an additional add-on?

I have located your documentation, it seems that your documentation supports avatars to a level that is satisfactory to me.

Marco, I don't know your product. I am considering purchasing it for my many forums (about 50). This is a serious fork in the road for me. I want to make sure that I take the right path. Actually, I have already created several forums, and I plan to expand the number of forums to about 50.

In my evaluation of this product, I have stumbled over some ambiguous posts that I have clearly misunderstood. It seems that the avatar issue is such an issue. Thank you very much for helping me clairify that issue in my mind.

Comment

I am not looking into getting into a fight over words with you. But it might help if you asked straight questions that we can give a simple answer to. The Avatar issue is an example of that. It seems to me that you had the impression that our standard product would not support Avatars, and answer to my question "What do you feel is missing in our current Avatars options" would have cleared that up pretty fast.

Seeing you have set an Avatar for yourself here on our forums now, shows that you have found how to set an Avatar, so if you still have questions about this, please ask. (PS We are running a complete default board here at vBulletin.com, no modifications to the standard product).

Comment

Originally posted by Bob H View Post
                          Providing a customer with a convenient migration path is a tactic used by many software/hardware/(and many other product and service) vendors in the past. As a matter of fact that is how a business attracts their competitors' customers.

Does vBulletin not understand that? How basic of a business practice is that? Why do I have explain something so obvious?
                          We do offer a migration path from more other Bulletin Boards then any of our competitors, and all of this is included in the price (i will not comment more on your previous remarks about our pricing strategy, although you are free to ask specific questions on that topic if you want). We even do provide an option to resolve the problem of links indexed in search engines that still lead to the URL's of your old board.

What we can not do is modify our core system to change the URL's to mimic all the source systems that a new customer might be converting from.

Comment

We do offer a migration path from more other Bulletin Boards then any of our competitors, and all of this is included in the price (i will not comment more on your previous remarks about our pricing strategy, although you are free to ask specific questions on that topic if you want). We even do provide an option to resolve the problem of links indexed in search engines that still lead to the URL's of your old board.

What we can not do is modify our core system to change the URL's to mimic all the source systems that a new customer might be converting from.
                            Thanks Marco, I think that I understand your migration path.

Comment

After a superficial investigation of features that I want, which are available in the current version of phpBB, vBulletin does not provide them, yet. And the product support people look like they want more money if they are going to provide them. What are they? Well, avatars for one.
                              Avatars have been supported in vBulletin since 1.0. And they are better than phpBB because the avatars are stored on the server where you can control animation, size, download bandwidth, etc. There's a built in avatar gallery, you can restrict avatars to different sizes for certain users and certain usergroups, as well as allow GIF animation for only certain usergroups.

Another is url naming tactics that enable search engine optimization. The fact that vBulletin is trying to nickel and dime their customers out of more money is a bad sign.
                              SEO is not built into vBulletin, nor does Jelsoft or vBulletin sell or make any SEO solutions. Maybe you are talking about vBSEO which is a third-party site? There are free SEO add-ons at vBulletin.org as well.

It looks like I am not going to switch to vBulletin right now, which probably means that it will never happen, because as Steve Machol has just indicated, there is no way to port the old directory structure to a vBulletin installation.
                              I would check the SEO add-ons at vBulletin.org. Perhaps you can tweak them to suit your needs. And the ability to link forumIDs and threadIDs from phpBB forums to vBulletin forums was recently added to the Import-Export script.
                              Last edited by feldon23; Sat 16 Dec '06, 1:59pm.

Comment

widgetinstance 262 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
                              Working...
                              X