Growth and Thrashing Comparison

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Growth and Thrashing Comparison

I'm interested in starting a forum soon, however, I expect that it will increase to a good size membership and post-wise.

I have always liked VB, a lot, in my time using it as a moderator and member at various forums. I don't like IPB much at all, to be frank. Why I'm here asking now, though, is because at this point it has nothing to do with my personal preferences.

I'd like to know, from someone who has run a large forum on both IPB and VB, which software is better optimized to avoid / hold back the thrashing when the database gets large.

I'm sure many people have opinions based on how the two packages are coded, but I'd like to hear from someone who tried out the same (large) forum on both forum types.

Thank you in advance.

Define Thrashing, would you?
    ManagerJosh, Owner of 4 XenForo Licenses, 1 vBulletin Legacy License, 1 Internet Brands Suite License
    Director, WorldSims.org | Gaming Hosting Administrator, SimGames.net, Urban Online Entertainment

Comment

Originally posted by ManagerJosh View Post
      Define Thrashing, would you?
      Noticeable slow-downs, sometimes causing too many connections to be opened at once resulting in an inability to connect to database, etc.

Which one could withstand more "pressure" before "cracking" is basically what I want to find out. Thank you for the response.

Comment

It's really hard to determine which will stand up to the pressure. Obviously in both cases hardware is a big determining factor in how well your board performs as well to what options you enable for each board.

My personal opinion as like many others here would be vBulletin would fair far better since a core objective during each development cycle is optimization and maximizing performance with minimum hardware possible. I believe the other side would argue the same as well .
        ManagerJosh, Owner of 4 XenForo Licenses, 1 vBulletin Legacy License, 1 Internet Brands Suite License
        Director, WorldSims.org | Gaming Hosting Administrator, SimGames.net, Urban Online Entertainment

Comment

Thank you for the insight. I was hoping to see some "battle scars" from an experience, but that's all right for now. I will bear what you said in mind as I make a decision.

Take care.

Comment

Are these big enough scars?

http://www.vbulletin.com/forum/showthread.php?t=47430

Comment

It also depends what, if any hacks or plug-ins you may incorporate into your forum/community that may make more hits to the server and database beyond just the forum software. In my personal experiences I have not seen either an IPB or VB board not handle thrashing. Some may say otherwise, but it also comes down to the server and how well its been configured to handle such pressures. Both VB and IPB have large member communties. What it comes down to is what you plan on doing with your forum and how many, if any hacks or plug-ins that you may add to it to enhance your community.

Comment

widgetinstance 262 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
              Working...
              X