Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Can I link multiple domains to the same forum?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Can I link multiple domains to the same forum?

Hi!

I was wondering if it would be alowed to link multiple domains to the same forum for SEO purposes.

Best Regards,
    Jan Jaap

as long as the content is identical then you can run multiple domains as alias of the main one.

Check the licence agreement for full details.
    Kerry-Anne :)

Twitter Blog

www.peterska2.com www.worldnewszone.com www.popularusenetgroups.com www.superclickers.co.uk www.forumsforchrist.com www.browsergameplanet.com

Comment

Ok!

Thanks a lot! This will offer a lot of possiblities for SEO

Best Regards,
      Jan Jaap

Comment

Originally posted by peterska2 View Post
        as long as the content is identical then you can run multiple domains as alias of the main one.

Check the licence agreement for full details.
        But the licence agreement states the following (formatting added by me):

Originally posted by Licence Agreement
        Each licence may power one instance of the Software on one domain. For each installed instance of the Software, a separate licence is required. Modifications to the software or database to circumvent the one-license-one-board rule are prohibited.
        So... what's up with that section?
        My Live vB5 Site - NZEating.com
        vBulletin Hosting | vBulletin Services - Need hosting for your vB? Need it installed? Something else? Let me take that hassle off your hands.

Comment

As long as you are only running one installation of VB, you should be fine.
          [ http://eternal-realm.net ]

Comment

The OP is asking whether he can run it with multiple domains pointing at the installation.

Kerry-Anne replied with what we all feel to be the spirit of the licence, but my checking of it, this would appear to violate the letter of it.

As an aside, I believe the OP is after an official answer, not just someone saying they think he should be fine.

Jan: Probably best to submit a support ticket for an Official response.
            vBulletin Hosting | vBulletin Services - Need hosting for your vB? Need it installed? Something else? Let me take that hassle off your hands.

Comment

As per the following topic: http://www.vbulletin.com/forum/showthread.php?t=103150

You can have multiple domains pointing to a single installation of vBulletin.

Your forum is accessable from multiple domains but the content is the same for each link. This is OK and does not require multiple licenses. My site is an example of a multi-domain setup that is allowed:

http://www.mscclan.com/forum/
              http://www.macsubculture.com/forum/
              http://www.mac-gamer.com/forum/

Notice how each domain points to exactly the same content.

Comment

Thanks for the link to a thread from 2004, before the Licence Agreement was re-written.

Comment

Shouldn't the topic be unpinned and the replies in these topics be removed or verified again? ( These are all in 2006.. )

Originally posted by Zachery View Post
                  If the second domain redirects or is an additional access point to the first domain you should be ok.

Originally posted by Colin F View Post
                  1. Actually the minimum versions are currently:
                  PHP 4.3.3
                  MySQL 4.0.16

Recommended are:
                  PHP 4.4.2 or 5.1.2 or later
                  MySQL 5.0.19 or later

3. You can host multiple domains on one instance of apache. If you have multiple forums you'd need a license for each instance of vBulletin though.
                  Last edited by Gaia; Wed 29th Nov '06, 7:31pm.

Comment

If vB is running one one domain and other domains are merely forwarding to that domain and not filtering content based on domain, then this is within the license agreement.
                    Steve Machol, former vBulletin Customer Support Manager (and NOT retired!)
                    Change CKEditor Colors to Match Style (for 4.1.4 and above)

Steve Machol Photography

Mankind is the only creature smart enough to know its own history, and dumb enough to ignore it.

Comment

not filtering content based on domain
                      Hi!

Would it not be alowed to for example make a mod within vBulletin that shows a difrent header for 1 of the domains, or difrent text etc. on the same forum?

Best Regards,
                      Jan Jaap

Comment

I am aspecting this is meant to prohibit serving multiple forums with the same vBulletin instalation.

What I want to do is the folowing:

I switched to vBulletin from several parrot specific forums like africangreyforum.com in dutch and 6 other forums. I then started 1 global parrot forum on www.papegaaienforum.com and linked all existing forums to the corresponding subforum like africangrey.com to www.papegaaienforum.com/grijze-roodstaart-papegaaien/ so that I did not loose my rankings in Search Engines and also so that users comming to the specie specific forums are still able to reach their forum via the domain and not one main parrot forum wich they surely wouldn't like as much.

Ofcourse if they click a link within that forum they will go to the parrotforum.com domain but I want to change this exept for the navbar so that users can go back to the main forum on parrotforum.com but if they want to navigate a subforum with a domain configured the content will be loaded on that domain since this is the most optimum for SEO. I would then like to use 100's of domains covering all parrot species and repeating that in English and maybe also Japanese as I found a japanese partner.

I hope this is alowed since it's actualy required and paying 42000 USD for a parrot forum isn't attractive as parrot forums don't make money.

Best Regards,
                        Jan Jaap Hakvoort

Comment

Sorry I'm not sure I understand this but my guess is that this requires multiple licenses.

Again you can have one copy of vB installed and multiple domains redirect to that copy, but any modification to change the content based on domain requires multiple licenses.

Steve Machol Photography

Mankind is the only creature smart enough to know its own history, and dumb enough to ignore it.

Comment

Ok, but in my case I just use multiple domains for the same forum.

So that would be no problem?

Best Regards,
                            Jan Jaap

Comment

Well that does not appear to be what you wrote in post #12. As I said you can have one copy of vB installed and multiple domains redirect to that copy, but any modification to change the content based on domain requires multiple licenses.

Steve Machol Photography

Comment

widgetinstance 262 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
                              Working...
                              X