Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Brand Free Licence - Prohibits saying Site is 'Powered By' Something?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• benative
    replied
    will this be okay?

I purchased a branding free license for $170
    So, can I get rid of

Powered by vBulletin™ Version 4.0.1
    Copyright © 2010 vBulletin Solutions, Inc. All rights reserved.

and replace it to

Copyright © 2010 mydomain or company. All rights reserved.

Leave a comment:

• Steve Machol
    replied
    Originally posted by Yago View Post
    How about this?

MyWebSiteName.com is owned by MrMacho

If I buy the Copyright removal licence and replace it with the above. Will Jelsoft cry or sue me?
    No, since you are not rebranding the software. You have a right to your own site and domain.

Leave a comment:

• Dilly
    replied
    Why would they? That's not rebranding....

Leave a comment:

• Yago
    replied
    How about this?

MyWebSiteName.com is owned by MrMacho

If I buy the Copyright removal licence and replace it with the above. Will Jelsoft cry or sue me?
    Last edited by Yago; Tue 30th Jan '07, 6:19pm.

Leave a comment:

• Floris
    replied
    I understand. It is really hard to make important things sound simple and without too much explanation. Each consumer situation (or company for that matter) is different and we have no problem trying to explain it for our (potential) customers.

Thank you for your recent purchase and let us know if you require any further information.

Leave a comment:

• wIrEs
    replied
    Originally posted by Floris View Post
    You're not buying the copyright of the company jelsoft, you're not buying the company jelsoft. You're buying permission to remove the branding of vbulletin from the templates. It doesn't mean you may appear as if it is your software. It isn't your software, you don't own the copyright.

I hope that explains it a bit better.
    I just payed for vBulletin forum a week ago, waiting for paypal to clear the transaction. This was a very interesting thread, good to know, since, some times, owners use lawyers language terms to simplify things for them and i guess it's understandable, this is why some times, things need to be clarified.

Leave a comment:

• Floris
    replied
    Originally posted by Crow View Post
    I'm a branding free owner and I have to say that not allowing owners to have the powered by : something else is dumb. Whats the point of a branding free option if you have restrictions on what the owner can and can not do?

I know this post isn't going to change Jelsoft's mind, but maybe members that are about to buy the option will think twice then..
    You're not buying the copyright of the company jelsoft, you're not buying the company jelsoft. You're buying permission to remove the branding of vbulletin from the templates. It doesn't mean you may appear as if it is your software. It isn't your software, you don't own the copyright.

I hope that explains it a bit better.

Leave a comment:

• Zachery
    replied
    You're never allowed to rebrand the software. Even with a brand free license, just means you can remove every refrence to vBulletin/Jelsoft

Leave a comment:

• Crow
    replied
    I'm a branding free owner and I have to say that not allowing owners to have the powered by : something else is dumb. Whats the point of a branding free option if you have restrictions on what the owner can and can not do?

I know this post isn't going to change Jelsoft's mind, but maybe members that are about to buy the option will think twice then..

Leave a comment:

• feldon23
    replied
    If you are a licensed user of vBulletin, please start a thread in the How Do I forum.

Leave a comment:

• Gene Steinberg
    replied
    Originally posted by Tanax View Post
    THat's allowed even without the branding free option..
    The branding free option allows you to remove
    Code: