Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Brand Free Licence - Prohibits saying Site is 'Powered By' Something?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Tanax View Post
    THat's allowed even without the branding free option..
    The branding free option allows you to remove
    Code:
        Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.6.4
    Copyright ©2000 - 2006, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
    ..at the bottom, and
    Code:
    Powered by vBulletin
    in the head( <head>Forum name - Powered by vBulletin</head>) of the site.

The version of the vBulletin you are allowed to remove WITHOUT branding free option, however, note what parts you are allowed to remove, only as long as you got the branding free option, as stated above.
    And this is done -- how?

Comment

If you are a licensed user of vBulletin, please start a thread in the How Do I forum.

Comment

I'm a branding free owner and I have to say that not allowing owners to have the powered by : something else is dumb. Whats the point of a branding free option if you have restrictions on what the owner can and can not do?

I know this post isn't going to change Jelsoft's mind, but maybe members that are about to buy the option will think twice then..

Comment

You're never allowed to rebrand the software. Even with a brand free license, just means you can remove every refrence to vBulletin/Jelsoft

Comment

Originally posted by Crow View Post
            I'm a branding free owner and I have to say that not allowing owners to have the powered by : something else is dumb. Whats the point of a branding free option if you have restrictions on what the owner can and can not do?

I know this post isn't going to change Jelsoft's mind, but maybe members that are about to buy the option will think twice then..
            You're not buying the copyright of the company jelsoft, you're not buying the company jelsoft. You're buying permission to remove the branding of vbulletin from the templates. It doesn't mean you may appear as if it is your software. It isn't your software, you don't own the copyright.

I hope that explains it a bit better.

Comment

Originally posted by Floris View Post
              You're not buying the copyright of the company jelsoft, you're not buying the company jelsoft. You're buying permission to remove the branding of vbulletin from the templates. It doesn't mean you may appear as if it is your software. It isn't your software, you don't own the copyright.

I hope that explains it a bit better.
              I just payed for vBulletin forum a week ago, waiting for paypal to clear the transaction. This was a very interesting thread, good to know, since, some times, owners use lawyers language terms to simplify things for them and i guess it's understandable, this is why some times, things need to be clarified.

Comment

I understand. It is really hard to make important things sound simple and without too much explanation. Each consumer situation (or company for that matter) is different and we have no problem trying to explain it for our (potential) customers.

Thank you for your recent purchase and let us know if you require any further information.

Comment

How about this?

MyWebSiteName.com is owned by MrMacho

If I buy the Copyright removal licence and replace it with the above. Will Jelsoft cry or sue me?
                  Last edited by Yago; Tue 30th Jan '07, 6:19pm.

Comment

Why would they? That's not rebranding....

Comment

Originally posted by Yago View Post
                      How about this?

MyWebSiteName.com is owned by MrMacho

If I buy the Copyright removal licence and replace it with the above. Will Jelsoft cry or sue me?
                      No, since you are not rebranding the software. You have a right to your own site and domain.
                      Steve Machol, former vBulletin Customer Support Manager (and NOT retired!)
                      Change CKEditor Colors to Match Style (for 4.1.4 and above)

Steve Machol Photography

Mankind is the only creature smart enough to know its own history, and dumb enough to ignore it.

Comment

will this be okay?

I purchased a branding free license for $170
                        So, can I get rid of