Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Brand Free Licence - Prohibits saying Site is 'Powered By' Something?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Brand Free Licence - Prohibits saying Site is 'Powered By' Something?

I'm confused, slightly.

I am tossing up whether to purchase a couple of brand removal licences for my Owned licences, but just read something official from Floris, here that would appear to (if I was to place it on nzboards.com) immediately place me in violation.

Originally posted by Floris
    Branding does NOT permit to rebrand the software. You pay for permission to remove the copyright, you're not paying to own the copyright.
    Originally posted by Upgrade Form
    Branding Free Option
    This allows you to remove all vBulletin/Jelsoft branding from this vBulletin Forum installation. This refers to the copyright information in the footer only. The logo may be changed without purchasing the Branding Free license.

Note: This is in addition to the cost of the license.
    Note, nothing is said here about adding 'Powered By' being prohibited.

Originally posted by Brand Free Licence link in Members Area
    Branding Free Option - $120 per license

All vBulletin communities must retain the vBulletin and Jelsoft copyright text at the end of every page as per the license agreement. If you would like to legally remove this branding, you can purchasing the branding free option, which costs $120 per license. This only allows you to remove the Jelsoft/vBulletin copyright information from the front end pages. Please also note this does not allow you to rebrand the software with another name.
    Now, I do see the part about rebranding, but to say a Site is 'Powered by' something does not imply a brand.

So, to clarify: Can I say my site is 'Powered by Sparkle Hosting' without violating said Brand Free Licence?
    My Live vB5 Site - NZEating.com
    vBulletin Hosting | vBulletin Services - Need hosting for your vB? Need it installed? Something else? Let me take that hassle off your hands.

I'd say yes.

As long as you don't act as if anyone other then Jelsoft made the software it should be fine.
    Best Regards
    Colin Frei

Please don't contact me per PM.

Comment

Actually we have always disallowed 'Powered by Something Else'. This is not allowed even with the branding free option.
      Steve Machol, former vBulletin Customer Support Manager (and NOT retired!)
      Change CKEditor Colors to Match Style (for 4.1.4 and above)

Steve Machol Photography

Mankind is the only creature smart enough to know its own history, and dumb enough to ignore it.

Comment

Originally posted by Colin F View Post
        I'd say yes.

As long as you don't act as if anyone other then Jelsoft made the software it should be fine.
        Originally posted by Steve Machol View Post
        Actually we have always disallowed 'Powered by Something Else'. This is not allowed even with the branding free option.
        Two different answers here? Which one is correct?

Even tho I Never made the topic I'm also curious

Comment

Originally posted by JakeS View Post
          Two different answers here? Which one is correct?

Even tho I Never made the topic I'm also curious
          Both are right. You shouldnt say the forum is powered by some one else (because thats saying they own the license) but you can remove the powered by bit .

Comment

Steve's counts.
            I recommend you use slightly different wording, not saying 'Powered by'.
            Best Regards
            Colin Frei

Please don't contact me per PM.

Comment

Then I would suggest the "we" in your statement make that clear on the purchasing of the option.

It's getting rather old to read about crap after the fact.

Comment

Originally posted by mrwuss View Post
                Then I would suggest the "we" in your statement make that clear on the purchasing of the option.

It's getting rather old to read about crap after the fact.
                It already says it, as quoted above:

Please also note this does not allow you to rebrand the software with another name.
                vBulletin v3.8.0's Implementation of Google Adsense Should Be Avoided At All Costs - Do Your Own Adsense Implementation

Comment

Thanks for clearing that up Steve.

I suggest that information be added to the licence agreement, to prevent future confusion.
                  My Live vB5 Site - NZEating.com
                  vBulletin Hosting | vBulletin Services - Need hosting for your vB? Need it installed? Something else? Let me take that hassle off your hands.

Comment

http://www.vbulletin.com/faqsales.php
                    Note also this does not allow you to rebrand the software with another name. It only allows you to remove the Jelsoft/vBulletin copyright information.

Comment

There are only 2 reasons to have branding free -
                      1: to promote your site better
                      2: better security - it's harder for the hackers to find out your vB version and to use exploits on it.
                      LightSabre, Chief-Editor @ Xenon Web Magazine™ - www.xenonweb.us
                      Digital Media-X™ Artist @ digitalmedia.xenonweb.us
                      RadeonXT™ - radeonxt.xenonweb.us

Comment

You are already allowed to remove the version number, even without the Branding Free option.
                        Want to take your board beyond the standard vBulletin features?
                        Visit the official Member to Member support site for vBulletin Modifications: www.vbulletin.org

Comment

I Have a question..

If someone who purchased brand free license wanted to add this to the bottom of there forum could they?

Hosting Powered By: Company
                          ?

Comment

That would be fine.
                            Steve Machol, former vBulletin Customer Support Manager (and NOT retired!)
                            Change CKEditor Colors to Match Style (for 4.1.4 and above)

Steve Machol Photography

Mankind is the only creature smart enough to know its own history, and dumb enough to ignore it.

Comment

Originally posted by JakeS View Post
                              I Have a question..

If someone who purchased brand free license wanted to add this to the bottom of there forum could they?

?
                              THat's allowed even without the branding free option..
                              The branding free option allows you to remove
                              Code: