Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Storage & Bandwidth Requirements

Hello all,

I am shopping for a hosting company and bulletin board platform. I was curious to know the storage and monthly bandwidth requirements of running a bulletin board such as vBulletin. I know it depends on the amount of users, but that is the extent of my knowledge.

What are the requirements for a small forum of 25 active users? And what are the requirements for a large forum of 250+ active users? I am trying to get a general idea of what hosting plan to start with, and also what to expect as the community grows.

Any info would be greatly appreciated.

Sacr1fyce

I would also be interested in an answer to this question if anyone can help

Comment

Bandwidth depends on a number of factors, including how busy your forums are, the graphics you use and the number and size of attachments uploaded to posts.

Please see the 'How much disk space do I need to run vBulletin?' section in the FAQ:

http://www.vbulletin.com/faqsales.php
      Steve Machol, former vBulletin Customer Support Manager (and NOT retired!)
      Change CKEditor Colors to Match Style (for 4.1.4 and above)

Steve Machol Photography

Mankind is the only creature smart enough to know its own history, and dumb enough to ignore it.

Comment

Thanks for the reply Steve

Comment

Yes, thank you for the link.

"For example, one installation we have seen had 5,800+ members, 40,000 threads, 662,000 posts, 70,000 private messages and 8,000 attachments. The total MySQL database size was 940MB - which comes to around 140MB per 100,000 posts. Please note that it does vary from forum to forum, so your mileage may vary."

The storage requirements are fairly small, even for such a large community. It is surprising.

I am still curious to know something of an average when it comes to bandwidth. I know it varies considerably, but some estimate would still be helpful.
          Last edited by Sacr1fyce; Mon 20th Nov '06, 8:18am.

Comment

widgetinstance 262 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
          Working...
          X