Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Two forums, same members?

Hi there,

I already own a copy of vBulletin and I am considering purchasing another licence.

Basically, I have on forum and I want to start another, but have them share members and posts. They would virtually look the same, but with some differences.

If you are a member on one forum, you can go post on the other without registering again. Posts that are made in general boards will be posted on both forums. Each forum would have some different categories that would not be the same on each forum.

For example, my site is about the Tales video games. I want to create another game site, but where I have boards for the Tales games, they would be named differently for this other game. Those posts would not be mimicked on each site. Only the general forums would.

I am not exactly sure if I am going to go through with this, but is this possible?
    last + blue = lsatblu

Tales Otaku Admin - Tales Forums Admin

This is not a built-in feature of vBulletin. This will require custom coding which is discussed at vBulletin.org. I know of at least 2 modifications over there that require making extensive modifications to the original source vB files to accomplish what you want.

Comment

Thank you. I will look into that mod.
      last + blue = lsatblu

Tales Otaku Admin - Tales Forums Admin

Comment

The main thing would be copying the users table in the SQL database over to the new database.

Basically, install the new licensed vBulletin board, open phpMyAdmin, select the new vBulletin board's database, and import the user table from your original vBulletin board. That should work.

Comment

I know of at least 2 modifications over there that require making extensive modifications to the original source vB files to accomplish what you want.
          hello,
          can you kindly share links to this modifications ?

Thanks in advance.
          TechArena - TechArena Community - News - Download - Video - Guide - Review

Comment

What you want can easily be done with a single license (oops being a bad salesman now) and default vBulletin:

- Give your Registered Users usergroup permissions to your general forums.
            - Create a new category with forums for each of the 2 groups you have
            - Create a Public Joinable Usergroup for each group you have
            - Give these 2 usergroups permissions to their own category/forums

Let your users join the Public Usergroup(s) they have interest in.
            Want to take your board beyond the standard vBulletin features?
            Visit the official Member to Member support site for vBulletin Modifications: www.vbulletin.org

Comment

Originally posted by Marco van Herwaarden View Post
              (oops being a bad salesman now)

Maybe, but this is what customers like, support. And with supports of such, the customers will hold you to a higher standard

Comment

widgetinstance 262 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
              Working...
              X