WoWBB 1.70 -> vB 3.6.2 attachements

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• WoWBB 1.70 -> vB 3.6.2 attachements

Looking at a possible migration to vBulletin from WoWBB. We actually really like WoWBB but the rapid growth of our forum is making scalability increasingly important. A few specific questions:

1. WoWBB keeps the attachments in the DB, which is one of the major reasons we're thinking of migrating. After we import our WoWBB forum with Impex, how hard is it to change to having the attachments stored in the FS?

2. Our customers REALLY like/use the "Recent" tab on the WoWBB forum... This is basically a page that brings up a list of all threads from all forums in most recent posting order, it really helps people keep up with everything that's going on, and is actually the only way a lot of our folks view the forum. How would one go about setting up a similar list in vBulletin, and how much work would be involved?

3. RSS Feeds are a feature that we were building into our new version of the site, WoWBB's RSS feeds allow us to have three small pages on an AJAX accordion component (that's displayed on the site home page) that displays the 3 most recent posts to 3 of our site's most popular forums, actually 2 of the most popular + "Recent" (See #2 above). Can this functionality (building xml sets that provide a RSS Feed for a given forum) be replicated in vBulletin, if so how much work are we looking at?

Thanks in advance for any feedback/clarifications you can provide... I really like what I've seen of vBulletin, and it comes highly recommended, we just want to do some careful looking before leaping .

James
    Last edited by Tigratrus; Tue 24 Oct '06, 4:25am. Reason: removed some typos

Is there anyone that can provide some insight for us so that we can make an informed decision? I see quite a few have viewed this thread, but no responses... Given that we can't try vBulletin before buying it, I was really hoping for some feedback?

I'm hoping the silence is just due to bad timing on my part and not because my questions are somehow really hard things to do in vBulletin?

TIA for any help/clarification you can provide.

James

Comment

1. Attachments can be easily moved to/from the filesystem, all you'd have to do is chmod a directory and the script will move the data automatically.

2. Something similiar in vBulletin is the 'New Posts' / 'Todays Posts' link. This performs a search for either todays posts or for any unread posts (depending on the method used this is either since the last visit or the actual unread posts).
      If that's not exactly what you're looking for you can also output an RSS feed which can pretty easily be used to display the latest threads on a seperate page.

3. As in 2, RSS feed are easily possible, and also settable to be per-forum. Displaying them on your sites Home Page would require custom code, but I assume that your existing code should work fine with the RSS feeds.
      Best Regards
      Colin Frei

Please don't contact me per PM.

Comment

Colin,

Thanks very much for the reply! Having the "New Posts" link not visible until you were logged in seems to have been what was keeping me from finding that. Excellent.

Is there a good reference for the RSS feeds and how to configure them? I tried searching in the online documentation and came up empty on "RSS". Also, do you know if there is any way to add the little "RSS" buttons that you see on some forums? Basically you click the button in the thread and it generates the URL that would generate the XML RSS feed for that thread? We use this in our current WoWBB forum, and I've seen it on other forums, but I haven't seen it on any of the ones I *know* to be vBulletin based, so I don't know if it's supportred or not?

Thanks again for helping us sort these questions out!

James
        Last edited by Tigratrus; Tue 24 Oct '06, 7:46am. Reason: typo

Comment

RSS is only one of the formats that are supported, so it's listed under 'External Data Provider': http://www.vbulletin.com/docs/html/v...group_external

The RSS icons are displayed in the browser itself if your browser supports this.
          In Firefox it's in the URL field for example.
          Best Regards
          Colin Frei

Please don't contact me per PM.

Comment

Thanks!

Thanks again for answering our questions. That was the info I need to track down the right documentation. Looks excellent, superb job on the control panel and context sensitive help systems btw.

James

Comment

widgetinstance 262 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
            Working...
            X